• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scouse

Mar 6, 2013
    Havana on the Severn
    I looked at Konus and Barska. I ended up with a Celestron similar to the one below (80mm objective vs the Konus/Barska 60mm):

http://www.amazon.com/Celestron-Ult...d=1367868777&sr=1-6&keywords=Celestron+ultima

I have not used it beyond 100yards. I am not planning to shoot beyond 200 yards so I figured a cheap optic would ok.

500 yards = big money. A guy had a Kowa at the range and it is very very nice.
    I'm looking at the Konus. I think that the Kowa is more than I need right now but I will look at the Celestron. Thanks.

101combatvet

BANNED!!!
    Dec 7, 2011
    Thanks for that info. At present, it is difficult for me to make weekend meets (soon to be rectified!) so you correctly summised that I have not yet attended a match. I might just take you up on your offer to work your targets in the pits (bin there, done that but I can do it again). I have taken membership at Bridgeville R & P so I will have opportunity to observe there also. I am also in process of membership at AAFG, if you are a member at either of those clubs, perhaps we will meet. So, based on the info from you, I think that I will get more use out of a scope at practice. Thanks again.

You can chalk the pit comment up as a joke... running targets is part of the fun.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Kowa is great, but expensive.

I just ordered a Vortex Nomad from SWFA (www.swfa.com). $209 for Vortex. Low end Vortex, but they have SUPERB warranty if needed (lifetime, transferable).

scouse

Mar 6, 2013
    Havana on the Severn
    You can chalk the pit comment up as a joke... running targets is part of the fun.
    ya got me! I can remember marking targets in the pits (we called them "the Butts" in UK military) with waving and up and down signals on either side of the target with a lollipop and pasting over the holes. It was a boring job and always went to the new guys.

I hope to observe at AAFG and B'ville very soon. Thanks for your help.

101combatvet

BANNED!!!
    Dec 7, 2011
    ya got me! I can remember marking targets in the pits (we called them "the Butts" in UK military) with waving and up and down signals on either side of the target with a lollipop and pasting over the holes. It was a boring job and always went to the new guys.

I hope to observe at AAFG and B'ville very soon. Thanks for your help.

All part of the day...

http://www.nhrpc.org/highpower/

Winged Pig

Aug 20, 2008
    Calvert County
    Lots of good advice here, and I'll try to toss in my .02 cents. Don't go spending lots of money on this stuff, but rather spend it on ammunition and shoot more. You don't need high end glass for a spotting scope to see targets and their markers at the ranges you mentioned, and neither do you need fancy reticles. You can spend all the money you want later after you get hooked and start to shoot every match you can find. Until then you just need some gear that works. You will be surprised at how little you can spend and still see what you need to.

Again, just my .02 cents. Good luck and have fun.

scouse

Mar 6, 2013
    Havana on the Severn
    Lots of good advice here, and I'll try to toss in my .02 cents. Don't go spending lots of money on this stuff, but rather spend it on ammunition and shoot more. You don't need high end glass for a spotting scope to see targets and their markers at the ranges you mentioned, and neither do you need fancy reticles. You can spend all the money you want later after you get hooked and start to shoot every match you can find. Until then you just need some gear that works. You will be surprised at how little you can spend and still see what you need to.

Again, just my .02 cents. Good luck and have fun.
    Thanks - every 2c helps. I resorted to just that philosophy and bought a Konus from Jarhead. We will see how that does, I'm sure that it will be more than I need right now.

Without the help from everyone on this forum I would still be diddling around wondering what to buy, so thanks again everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom