• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I'm trying to make a spinning rifle target, the picture below is an attempt to have something at a minimum of 100 yards to give some sort of report once it has been hit. View attachment 71785
    I'm wondering what it will withstands far as caliber.
    The spinner is made from 1 inch plate, the legs are made from 1 inch solid grade pins, (road construction workers might be familiar with these). My brother in law went to work on this the other day, as I would have liked to had a little more space between the legs and the spinner, but if it gets torn up it will give me the chance to improve on it.
    So what say you, what will it take to punch thru, short of a 50 BMG.:D
    It will be making a range trip this weekend at the Hooligan's shoot so I'll do a follow up on how good or and my prototype is.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Biggie313

Molon Labe
    Feb 23, 2010
    Essex
    7.62x39, .223, and .308 leave it pretty jagged, but maybe less so with a spinner since it can absorb some of the impact.

[YT]dx_SfG34Jpo[/YT]

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    I can bring my 30-06, or 308 handgun if you want to give it a test.

I have 30-06 rounds loaded with 150 grain FMJ, and a few 50 round boxes loaded with 150 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips. But I gotta feeling those will do some damage.

Hotrod Diesel

Here for the Beer...
    Mar 7, 2012
    Parkville
    I think it will hold up ok. But it won't last forever. We use double plates of 1/4" and it dimples pretty good. @ 300 yards a 308 will make a clean hole in 1/4". We double the 1/4" and it holds up for a while.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I can bring my 30-06, or 308 handgun if you want to give it a test.

I have 30-06 rounds loaded with 150 grain FMJ, and a few 50 round boxes loaded with 150 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips. But I gotta feeling those will do some damage.
    Bring them, I've got a welder.
    I think it will hold up ok. But it won't last forever. We use double plates of 1/4" and it dimples pretty good. @ 300 yards a 308 will make a clean hole in 1/4". We double the 1/4" and it holds up for a while.

engineerbrian had a silhouette 1/4 inch plate and at 100 yards both 5.56 and 7.62x39 were punching very clean holes in that.

kfrede86

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2010
    St. Marys
    I like this but you need to use AR500 steel or it will end up in the trash very fast.

This pretty much sums it up. Make sure you're using at least this for rifle or it will tear it up with ease at make shooting it unsafe. Try it with pistol and see what it does and then move up to rifle and see how the metal reacts. Looks like a good design. I purchased AR500 plate and made a wood stand for it then used 2" fire hose to hang the plate to make a swinging target.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    For these to last you want to make sure you get hardened steel. We use 8" hardened steel plates. They barely take a dent from a 30 06 inside 75 yards.

kfrede86

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2010
    St. Marys
    It was made from scrap that was just laying around, if it gets torn up I've got a welder to fix it.

Sounds good. I like the design. I'm thinking about making a spinner for pistol and rifle. The swinger I have now is nice but it really gets going after a few rounds. :party29:

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    It was made from scrap that was just laying around, if it gets torn up I've got a welder to fix it.

i'd say go ahead and go buy a pallet of spools for that welder.

it's not exactly a matter of "if" in this case.

Here's a railroad tie plate hit with a .308 at 300 yards, just to give you an idea. this is in the thick section, which is around 5/8"-3/4" thick:

300yardorangesteel.jpg

This is another chunk of (exact type unknown, but definitely not AR400, AR500 or ARanything) 1"+ thick steel, also at 300 yards.

300yardgoldsteel.jpg

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    If it needs it I'll hard surface it after repair. Looks like your picture was with the plate sitting against something when shot at, I'm hoping that the spinning action upon impact let's some of the energy transfer into the spin, if not I've got all winter to work on it.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    I put the white on it, I just couldn't find any orange. Thought I had a case of it in the shed, but no joy.

Just use my can of orange. You need to use white underneath to make it brighter (the orange) anyways.

They do make other neon colors in that paint I buy, including Mr Yuck green, pink, bright red, bright blue, and yellow.

I have some line marker paint - but they dont pattern well, to give it a decent paint job. The stuff I buy is just regular spray paint in neon color.

The bright paint would make it easier to put sights on it VS solid black.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Just use my can of orange. You need to use white underneath to make it brighter (the orange) anyways.

They do make other neon colors in that paint I buy, including Mr Yuck green, pink, bright red, bright blue, and yellow.

I have some line marker paint - but they dont pattern well, to give it a decent paint job. The stuff I buy is just regular spray paint in neon color.

The bright paint would make it easier to put sights on it VS solid black.

The stuff I get is line marking paint, if it doesn't work well at least it's free.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom