• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    This bill has some potential, but it always has some potential for a bad mark up in committee.

Meaning, there is need for improvement.

Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    yea that location restriction is bogus. I find it funny that they basically don't want you to take a CCW anywhere near children, yet little Johnny and Jennie turn on the television and absorb hours of gun violence courtesy of your favorite SoCal liberal actors and actresses.

Irony at it's finest.....

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    "THAT MEETS THE STANDARDS THAT THE 19 POLICE TRAINING COMMISSION ESTABLISHES <future tense> UNDER § 3–207 OF THIS 20 ARTICLE"

Related problems with this, other than the standards are not spelled out in law, is that the Police Training Commission can change the requirements on a whim, whenever and/or as many times as they want, with no oversight from elected representatives, there are no standards set for what constitutes pass/fail, etc.

T-Man

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2010
    Catonsville
    HAS NOT EXHIBITED ANY CONDUCT THAT INDICATES 3 THE PERSON IS POTENTIALLY A DANGER TO THE PUBLIC IF ISSUED A PERMIT

Vagueness and MD Gov't do not go well together.

THAT THE POLICE TRAINING COMMISSION CONDUCTS

ditto.

8 (A) A PERSON WHO HOLDS A PERMIT MAY NOT WEAR, CARRY, OR 1 TRANSPORT A HANDGUN WHILE THE PERSON IS ON THE REAL PROPERTY OF:
    (1) A CHURCH OR OTHER PLACE OF WORSHIP;
    (2) AN ESTABLISHMENT LICENSED TO SERVE ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES;
    (3) A GOVERNMENT BUILDING;
    (4) A PRIVATE SCHOOL, UNIVERSITY, OR COLLEGE;
    (5) A PUBLIC SCHOOL, UNIVERSITY, OR COLLEGE;
    (6) A PUBLIC LIBRARY;
    (7) A THEATER OR MOVIE THEATER; OR
    (8) A YOUTH CENTER.

You have to like the gov't dictating the decisions of private parties. Its a crime whether the church, private university etc agree or not.

krucam

Ultimate Member
    Related problems with this, other than the standards are not spelled out in law, is that the Police Training Commission can change the requirements on a whim, whenever and/or as many times as they want, with no oversight from elected representatives, there are no standards set for what constitutes pass/fail, etc.

This is essentially what they tried at the 11th hour last Spring. An undefined MSP training program...

Mr H

Unincited Co-Conservative
    Personal opinion only...

While there are good "nuggets" in there, on the whole I'm considering this bill too squishy, and with too many opportunities to be "Froshed".

It may be the basis for something good in the future, but at this point I think MD is better off taking its chances with CA4.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    If this is where the Maryland Gun Control crowd thinks they need to start, we could have a productive session in January.

That said, it is broken in many ways. Too arbitrary, and it locks out about every restaurant in the state. There is almost no adult recreational activity you could do that would allow carry. And heaven forbid you make a mistake: 1 year misdemeanor.

But again, it's an interesting bill for other reasons.

jkray

Jul 13, 2011
    Germantown
    This is essentially what they tried at the 11th hour last Spring. An undefined MSP training program...

But But But, it says right there that it won't cost anything.......

and in case it't needed the above was said with a heavy dose of sarcasm

Atlasarmory

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2009
    Glen Burnie
    Looks like a trap to me. We'll remove G&S and replace it with something training related. We'll work out the details later trust us.:deal:

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    yea that location restriction is bogus. I find it funny that they basically don't want you to take a CCW anywhere near children

I interpret it more to mean that you will not be able to provide self-defence to your children since all the restricted places are places I would go with my children.

All restaurants are out since they are licensed.
    All professional or semi-professional sporting events are out since they are licensed.
    All live entertainment is out (like Disney on ice or the Wiggles) since they are licensed and god knows I need a beer to get through the wiggles.

Those 10 items effectively remove 90% of the places I would ever take my kids any way. Maybe even 100% since parks and other playgrounds might actually fall under one of those places as well.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    Personal opinion only...

While there are good "nuggets" in there, on the whole I'm considering this bill too squishy, and with too many opportunities to be "Froshed".

It may be the basis for something good in the future, but at this point I think MD is better off taking its chances with CA4.

Agreed...the less we leave open to bureaucratic wiggle room (or political crony wiggle room) the better.

Now, if we get a better bill in the house...we should full court press that one out of the house and then full court press to bypass the Senate Judiciary committee by discharge petition.

Mr H

Unincited Co-Conservative
    I interpret it more to mean that you will not be able to provide self-defence to your children since all the restricted places are places I would go with my children.

All professional or semi-professional sporting events are out since they are licensed.
    All live entertainment is out (like Disney on ice or the Wiggles) since they are licensed and god knows I need a beer to get through the wiggles.

Those 10 items effectively remove 90% of the places I would ever take my kids any way. Maybe even 100% since parks and other playgrounds might actually fall under one of those places as well.

Good points, all... It looked positive at first, but on further reading, it's nothing but smoke-and-mirrors, in its current form.

vector03

Frustrated Incorporated
    Jan 7, 2009
    Columbia

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County

And don't make the mistake of being wrong: one year in prison, which conveniently denies you from carrying and possessing ever again.

Should call it the "Converting Lawful Carriers to Criminals Act".

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    I thought it would have can't be under the influence of alcohol, not being in a restautant sipping your lemonade is now not good.

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    I would be much more willing to accept a restriction that says no comsumption of alcohlic beverages while choosing to CCW than a blanket statement saying no one can carry while visiting a place licensed to serve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom