• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Was introduced by Sen. Bill Ferguson of Baltimore. According to his office, it is a response to Woollard, implements a training requirement and specifies sensitive places that carry is not allowed. She had no more details and could not provide a copy of the bill.

Will get more info from other folks soon. It was referred to the Rules Committee, which is where bills often go to die.

Bill Locator (no text, yet): http://mlis.state.md.us/2012s2/billfile/sb0021.htm

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    Was intorduced by Sen. Bill Ferguson of Baltimore. According to his office,
    it is a response to Woollard, implements a training requirement and specifies sensitive places that carry is not allowed. She had no more details and could not provide a copy of the bill.

Will get more info from other folks soon. It was referred to the Rules Committee, which is where bills often go to die.
    That's better than the Judiciary Committee.

LCPIWB

Needs an avatar
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 17, 2011
    Underneath the blimp, Md.
    Hmm, need to wait until we see the bill, but have a feeling the purpose of the bill is not make it easier for the regular Joe to get a permit, but to make it more difficult on top of G&S.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    Hmm, need to wait until we see the bill, but have a feeling the purpose of the bill is not make it easier for the regular Joe to get a permit, but to make it more difficult on top of G&S.
    Is it too soon to nick name Bill, Turd? (spidey sense is tingling).

If it's good, I'll retract, if not, well..

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    So far word says this was unexpected by everyone, and the staff of the Rules Chair doesn't know anything yet. They were not expecting it. No hearings have been set.

We've heard these words before (from others, not Senator Klausmeier), so we're still pressing.

But unless this has time during the session, it has no legs.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County

They claim it won't reinstate G&S in other forms, but then again they claim G&S is not a current limitation.

Based on the little I was told, my guess is it does away with preemption, establishes Baltimore as a sensitive place (the whole city) based on density, and creates unreasonable burdens on training.

But that's just my guess. We'll see how close it is, soon.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    So far word says this was unexpected by everyone, and the staff of the Rules Chair doesn't know anything yet. They were not expecting it. No hearings have been set.

We've heard these words before (from others, not Senator Klausmeier), so we're still pressing.

But unless this has time during the session, it has no legs.

Start pressuring Miller for answers.

Otherwise, a bunch a gun guys/gals can stop all lines a communication traffic in the Senate and house :innocent0

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    Start pressuring Miller for answers.

Otherwise, a bunch a gun guys/gals can stop all lines a communication traffic in the Senate and house :innocent0
    If nothing else...we'll muddy the waters of their special session....

I always love pissing in someone's cheerios.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    If nothing else...we'll muddy the waters of their special session....

I always love pissing in someone's cheerios.

This special session is Miller's best chance to get gambling, being his payback to allow Owe'Malleys pet projects through on the previous special session.

Pressure needs to be put on Miller ASAP, otherwise let loose the hounds!

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Was introduced by Sen. Bill Ferguson of Baltimore. According to his office, it is a response to Woollard, implements a training requirement and specifies sensitive places that carry is not allowed. She had no more details and could not provide a copy of the bill.

Sensitive places like all roads maintained by the State. :rolleyes:

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    No text yet, but I don't think we're not going to like it. Especially since they haven't provided it yet. Expect a counter proposal soon...

We need the text of this. Maybe as a start, can everyone else here start calling Senator Ferguson's office asking for the text?

BILL FERGUSON
    Democrat, District 46, Baltimore City

• Miller Senate Office Building, 2 West Wing
      11 Bladen St., Annapolis, MD 21401
      (410) 841-3600, (301) 858-3600
      1-800-492-7122, ext. 3600 (toll free)
      e-mail: bill.ferguson@senate.state.md.us
      fax: (410) 841-3161, (301) 858-3161
    Be polite, be respectful, but don't be afraid to tell them you are concerned about any bill that introduces new requirments and restrictions on any lawful carrier anywhere in this state, especially since we are already one of the most restrictive states in union for lawful carriers.

If they don't provide the text, then ask where the place restrictions will exist...and what the training requirements will be. Ask if the bill would allow additional fees for this training, and whether the training requirement will apply only to carry permits or also to purchase?

In short, politely make clear where you stand and work to get the info we all want. Eventually they will relent.

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    No text yet, but I don't think we're not going to like it. Especially since they haven't provided it yet. Expect a counter proposal soon...

We need the text of this. Maybe as a start, can everyone else here start calling Senator Ferguson's office asking for the text?

BILL FERGUSON
    Democrat, District 46, Baltimore City

• Miller Senate Office Building, 2 West Wing
      11 Bladen St., Annapolis, MD 21401
      (410) 841-3600, (301) 858-3600
      1-800-492-7122, ext. 3600 (toll free)
      e-mail: bill.ferguson@senate.state.md.us
      fax: (410) 841-3161, (301) 858-3161
    Be polite, be respectful, but don't be afraid to tell them you are concerned about any bill that introduces new requirments and restrictions on any lawful carrier anywhere in this state, especially since we are already one of the most restrictive states in union for lawful carriers.

If they don't provide the text, then ask where the place restrictions will exist...and what the training requirements will be. Ask if the bill would allow additional fees for this training, and whether the training requirement will apply only to carry permits or also to purchase?

In short, politely make clear where you stand and work to get the info we all want. Eventually they will relent.

On the phone with them now.

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    She won't answer my questions and now won't answer the phone.

She has hung up on me 4 times. Please bombard them with phone calls - make her day miserable. She won't answer specific questions about the bill and won't make the text available to us to read.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    What Smigiel Was Expecting

In the July 30th issue of the Cecil Whig a story about the lifting of the stay contained information from an interview with Del. Smigiel that stated what he expected to happen in the special session. Here is the link to the Cecil Whig story:
    http://www.cecildaily.com/news/local_news/article_bbae9c20-d9e9-11e1-8c03-001a4bcf887a.html

Here is what that story reported from Del. Smigiel:

On Friday, Smigiel said he was overjoyed by the judge’s decision to lift his stay, but also believed that there would be further obstacles in the way.

“I believe that when we convene at special session (on Aug. 9), that State Sen. Brian Frosh, who is the chairman of the Judicial Proceedings Committee, will try to block it by requiring training,” he said.

Smigiel explained that he believed Frosh, backed by liberal delegates, would try to pass legislation requiring citizens seeking permits to undergo training courses, likely taught by Maryland State Police, therefore again creating a backlog of applicants.

“We know that (MSP) currently has about 1,000 applicants backlogged,” he added.

Smigiel said he was looking to preempt such a requirement by preparing legislation for the special session that would allow for many different ways to obtain handgun training.

In the proposed legislation Smigiel shared with the Whig, he is seeking to allow retired military or police access to the permits. Also, citizens who have completed a hunter safety course; firearms course approved by the Maryland Police Training Commission; other nationally recognized training organization’s firearms safety course; any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law-enforcement agency, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or the Department of Criminal Justice Services or a similar agency of another state; any law-enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement; or a valid Maryland State Police Certified Handgun Instructor Certification.

Smigiel also is seeking access for those who possess an out of State permit(s) to carry a concealed weapon, which require completion of a safety course requirement.

He also said that he expected Frosh and other delegates to try and restrict where a permitted handgun carrier could take their firearm.

“While it’s nice to say no firearms in any place that serves alcohol, the number one place firearms are stolen from is from cars,” Smigiel said. He explained that it would be easier for legislation to simply state anyone carrying a firearm cannot consume alcohol.

While the focus of the upcoming special session has been announced to be gambling issues, Smigiel said he would fight to bring up the issues surrounding the Woollard case.

“Legislation needs to be passed in the upcoming special session (in order to protect of Second Amendment rights),” he added.

Blacksmith101

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    From Ferguson's auto reply, emphasis mine:

Due to the high volume of e-mails received daily, this automatic response is being sent to confirm that your message has been received.

Please be assured that your correspondence is read and your opinion given consideration.

For my constituents in Legislative District 46 (Baltimore City), if you did not include your full name, mailing address and phone number, please resend your correspondence with this information. If you are unsure whether you live in District 46, you can visit www.mdelect.net to find out.

I regret that due to the large volume of daily correspondence, I can only respond to District 46 constituents. Thank you for taking the time to contact me and thank you for your understanding.

Makes me want to send another email to remind him of my position, since he can't deign to reply to anyone outside of his district. :innocent0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom