• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    Have you seen this article about "celebratory gunfire" in the Sun? This dim bulb thought he was firing blanks in the house, but shot his granddaughter! Hard to believe sometimes.

baltimoresun.com
    Man fires gun in celebration of Fourth, wounds great-granddaughter
    Baltimorean, 82, said he fired indoors for safety, wound up hitting 17-year-old

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/ma...th-of-july-shootings-20130705,0,2998516.story

Last edited:

ibanez320dx

New guy.
    Jun 2, 2013
    Rosedale
    Thats an interesting article you have there. Some people definitely need to think more before holding a loaded weapon. Just a word to the wise, the admins might frown upon copying an article and pasting it here. They prefer a link to said article for copyright reasons.

dspurlock

Mar 31, 2013
    I guess we need to update the saying "always treat the firearm like it's loaded...with a bullet"

Bull#%!!*

"We" already have that update along with the "never put your finger on the trigger until you intend to fire" RULE Lassiter Basket should be thrown in jail, and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the current laws. He violated at lest 3 existing laws that are currently on the books.

If we started implementing more of Maryland's existing gun laws, we might not have to create MORE Bull#%!!* laws like the ones that are coming on 10/1.......

I know............. sorry, I just got done huffing gasoline in the garage.

Captain Obvious
    D

freddie

Mar 20, 2013
    Although this man is a long time gun owner who should have known better, - I hope with the in-flux of first time handgun/firearm owners - thanks to SB281 - their are not more gun shooting "accidents", in the coming months.

With my adding of several handguns to my collection before Oct. 1, I have seen several first time handgun buyers in local FFls. - some conversations being very very scary. Some FFLs were in pure sales mode, having large inventory, and steady filling out paperwork- no way I would have sold a firearm to any of them.

I support the right to bare arms but no one has the right to be ignorant and flippant and care less about seriousness of owning a firearm. Pointing the gun at themselves and others, pretend shooting with sound effects - reminded me of a 4 year old.

The internet if full of useful information on firearms and their safe use - education first - its even free.

I couldn't help myself in giving friendly guidance on seriousness of owning and using a firearm - where they could learn more about the handgun they chose and safe use of same - Youtube specific channels, internet websites, forums, instructors, ranges et. all.

Most blew me off but some asked I write down websites and channels for them - - heck two even watched youtube firearm videos on my cell phone while waiting for paperwork fill-out turn.

It is becoming a little more scary in Maryland thanks to SB281.

Rednekrebel

Apr 9, 2007
    Edgemere
    I thought I heard the real story was it was loaded with blanks. Just the scrap brass from the blanks hit her in the arm. But maybe in wrong. Either way. Stupid people.......

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I saw an interview with this numb nuts. He did load .22 blanks, but the crimped end broke off and turned into shrapnel(sp?). No, I dont condone his stupidity. I am not defending him. He was an idiot. I was surprised that the news actually showed that part and not "grandfather shoots child". What I thought was just precious is the numb nuts kept the pocket pistol and blanks in, get this, a purple Crown Royal bag.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Every single one of these accidental shootings could have been prevented if the basic safety rules were followed.
    Nothing fancy, no brain surgery or rocket science involved. I wish we could package common sense and sell it to these idiots.

capac2727

Aug 23, 2012
    Parkville, MD
    I know I shouldn't be surprised anymore after all of the idiotic crap that happens on a daily basis but WOW WHAT A MORON!! Stupid stupid stupid...

CAS_Shooter

Jan 24, 2012
    Police were unable to trace where the bullet came from, and there is no law in that part of the state barring celebratory gunfire

Huh? What? You mean if my "part of the state" does not have a law against celebratory gunfire, I am free to fire my weapon towards the sky as the mood strikes me?

JAY1234

Retired Radioman Chief
    Dec 1, 2012
    St Marys County Maryland
    This line makes no sense and befuddles my mind

"I wasn't surprised when it happened, but I was surprised when I saw the blood," Holley said. "I'm glad it's all right."

The young girl is 17. The grand father has been popping off blanks for many years and the young lady has most probably been there when the round(s) were fired. She wasn't hurt in prior discharges of the weapon, so actually being hit by something and seeing her blood surprised her.

If the residue from a "blank" cartridge penetrated the walls prior to striking the young girl , the walls must have been very thin. Either way, firing a gun, blanks or real ammo, in a home is stupid unless real ammo is fired in self defense; even then, one has to be aware of where a bullet will transit in the home when fired.

Ragtopman

Feb 22, 2013
    Waldorf MD
    Brandon Lee, son of Bruce Lee, was killed by a blank-firing pistol. Blanks are NOT safe! Firing a gun in the house is never "safe" even with blanks.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Brandon Lee, son of Bruce Lee, was killed by a blank-firing pistol. Blanks are NOT safe! Firing a gun in the house is never "safe" even with blanks.

Yep, just beat me to the mention of Brandon Lee. As I recall there was a wad of some sort that got stuck in the barrel and was propelled outward by the blast into his head and killed him.

Many years ago in my police academy days I remember one classmate getting sent to the hospital with a possible broken rib and a big old hole burned through his winter uniform jacket from a shotgun bank during training scenarios.

enjoi1968

Streets Closed Pizza Boy.
    May 10, 2013
    Anyone remember Frontier Town outside Ocean City MD?

When I was a youngen, probably around 7 or 8, I remember being picked to do the 'gun fight' outside the saloon. The cowboy gave me his revolver with blanks, squatted behind me and steadied my arms as I fired 6 blanks at the 'outlaws' which was also comprised of children with adults behind them. :screwy:

I would be curious if they still even have the gun fights now a days or if thats a no no. :(

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    Back in the 80's there was a guy in a tv show with a model/actress. He put a gun to his head as a joke. It was loaded with blanks but he was killed when he fired a blank in jest. The expanding gases were enough to cause a fatal wound to the head. If you want to play with guns, make sure it is a pop gun.

TWM

Jul 4, 2013
    Howard Co
    Anyone remember Frontier Town outside Ocean City MD?

When I was a youngen, probably around 7 or 8, I remember being picked to do the 'gun fight' outside the saloon. The cowboy gave me his revolver with blanks, squatted behind me and steadied my arms as I fired 6 blanks at the 'outlaws' which was also comprised of children with adults behind them. :screwy:

I would be curious if they still even have the gun fights now a days or if thats a no no. :(

Went there for a day last year and they still had the gun fights...although I don't recall any audience participation.

Les Gawlik

Ultimate Member
    Apr 2, 2009
    I remember going to those seashore gun fights. Afterwards, we'd walk through the sand or sawdust. I was absolutely thrilled to find the empty .22 cases in the sand, because they were from *a real gun*!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom