• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • justiw

Jan 26, 2012
    I am also new to shooting handguns, and I've only been to the range 3 times, but here is my experience.

1st time out I did well, with groups very near the target but not tight.
    2nd time out I was shooting similar groups but all low. About 2" to 6 o'clock.
    3rd time out, back on target with tighter groups.

I was looking up advice and found that I really needed to focus on my sight picture. That is what I think helped me the most. Another thing that can help is dry fire, but you probably need to get some snap caps (aluminum dummy rounds that will cushion your hammer/firing pin).

Basically, the fixes are focus and trigger time. After that, you could consider adjusting the sights, but you should test the point of aim (POA) and point of impact (POI) from a rested position before you try that.

Forager

Imported curmudgeon
    Feb 12, 2012
    In the Lion's den
    I'd suggest getting some training and coaching from an experienced instructor. Going about it otherwise will do more harm (bad habits) long term than good.

Mr H

Unincited Co-Conservative
    This is your FIRST handgun? And, you've shot anything else before, I hope?

You bring up an interesting point I hadn't seriously considered.

While I'm glad OP's first session wasn't a turnoff, it raises a question...

"Should ANYONE buy a handgun without having first tried a variety of options?"

By no means am I saying don't buy!! My thought is to commit to buying, then try several to suit the desired usage, THEN buy.

When my wife went for her first, I think we both were looking to make it compatible with my nightstander (.38/.357), and then unconsciously seeking the least uncomfortable option. Truth be told, we blew it.

She chose a SW60, because the tough trigger pull would be least likely to cause ND. I can't argue that logic... but since then, we've both discovered that it's a tough little bugger to control, and it kicks like a mule to boot (and, honestly, she really likes the overall feel--but not necessarily the length--of my Ruger GP-100).

I think we are going to revisit her options, and give it a more thorough test process... now that we've been doing this a while, and have accumulated more knowledge. That, and get her some "not-me" training.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    Going on a Sunday can be a mistake unless you are a seasoned shooter. Its going to be busy on a weekend day.

While On Target and other Ranges do a good job of keeping an eye on things, your chances of being muzzle swept and being around a bunch of idiots practicing for drive-bys increases dramatically on the weekend. Its just is what it is.

I always seem to get a lane next to gang bangers practicing their "punch shooting" form or who have rented a .500SW.

Weekdays mid day it's usually pretty quite, unless there are security officer qualifications being conducted.

Last edited:

nomo613

Nov 24, 2010
    pikesville
    im personally not a fan of revolvers, but i have shot them and the DA trigger is a little hard to master at first. when people tell you the gun is not a bullseye gun it does not mean its inaccurate, rather with the sight radius being so tiny, it makes it a little more complicated to aim; bob mundin has a video on you tube of him shooting a 200 yard target with a snubby like yours freehand! as far as hitting low, this is commonly due to subconsciously flinching and pulling the gun low to counteract the recoil. this can be solved by staying conscious of the matter, and will reduce as you get more comfortable. .357 was intimidating for me in the beginning!

also try freestate if its at all close to you. they love teaching new shooters, and are very accommodating. try weeknights (not on wednesdays!) and theyre usually not to crowded.

cyberfrance

Feb 1, 2012
    This is your FIRST handgun? And, you've shot anything else before, I hope?

Yup. The only other time I ever shot a handgun was 3 weeks ago. I shot my brothers Ruger special six, a .22 Ruger automatic pistol and a Smith and Wesson automatic. I had trouble pulling the slide on the S&W and was far more accurate with the Special Six. In fact, I tried to buy the Special Six off of him.

I had handled a S&W .38 special and the Ruger SP101 .357 magnum and actually had an easier pull with the Ruger.

Having narrowed it down, I opted for the Ruger SP101. It's trigger pull was easier and it was more balanced in my hand, I think a slight bit heavier.

Had to wait for the paperwork to process, picked the gun up on Wednesday of this past week and got to actually fire it today for the first time with my brother. As I stated, I got better as the day progressed. I was shooting at approximately 15 yds. on small paper targets. I was able to hit the rings and target about 30% of the time, but was shooting low for the most part and out of the target altogether more often than not. I actually was more accurate with the larger load, but that's probably because I was very aware of what was going to happen and had a real respect for the bang and recoil.

I am aware that this isn't a gun designed for target practice, and I didn't buy it for that. I bought it for home protection and I'm fairly certain that if I have to use it, someone will not be going home.

I may invest in a laser grip. I'm still considering that. In the meantime, I'm just trying to master the gun.

If I were to buy another gun for target practice that wasn't a .22, it would likely be a Special Six. I REALLY loved that gun.

And that, my friends, is my total handgun shooting experience to date. Just want to make you all know that I know my limitations and am determined to get a lot better. And, I'm not the least bit afraid of the recoil or noise. It's just a learning experience and very interesting. I think I've got the gun range rules down so I'm good to go!

I may join 12th Precinct. I haven't decided yet. I would also like to try out On Target indoor range and see how well I do on my own.

Forager

Imported curmudgeon
    Feb 12, 2012
    In the Lion's den
    Please don't take this the wrong way, but you need help. Seriously, you need the help of a good instructor, and you really need to start with something that's not going to give the high probability of teaching you bad habits.

There are quite a few instructors on here and at local ranges. Please, seek one out.

This is not advice for any reason other than the fact that you are a very new shooter and that is not an easy handgun to learn well.

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    Practice, practice, and then practice some more. However, make sure you're doing things correctly otherwise the practice is meaningless. A few sessions with a good instructor will get you started off on the right foot and you can keep going from there on your own. Good luck!

cyberfrance

Feb 1, 2012
    Oh, I forgot to answer a question:

I did try cocking the hammer when I shot the last 10 rounds of .38 and all of the .357. It definitely made a difference. The pull was MUCH easier and I was able, of course, to keep my hands more level and on target.

Knowing what I know today, I will likely shoot more with the gun cocked until I get the sight figured out and am shooting accurately more consistently.

It's not the gun. I know that. It's me. I will adapt to this "tool".

My brother is a very good teacher, actually. He is very serious, patient, and extremely aware of my problems so far. I assume that I'll learn to be more steady and hope that any marksman will be brave enough to correct me if they see me messing up. I know I'd do the same for them if I thought it would help.

I think shooting with other women is probably a great idea. However, my brother is great to go shooting with. He's happy that I'm so stoked.

cyberfrance

Feb 1, 2012
    Please don't take this the wrong way, but you need help. Seriously, you need the help of a good instructor, and you really need to start with something that's not going to give the high probability of teaching you bad habits.

There are quite a few instructors on here and at local ranges. Please, seek one out.

This is not advice for any reason other than the fact that you are a very new shooter and that is not an easy handgun to learn well.

I am sure that is excellent advice. I will take it under advisement. I agree: its very hard to un-learn bad habits.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Cyberfrance,

Please don't take the following wrong. Unless you have a mentor willing to coach you, a class or a few will get you set off on the right foot.

When you ask a question on the internet, you're going to get 100 answers, with 90 of them being wrong.

The NRA classes cover just about everything: Storage, safety, sight alignment, and proper handling. From what I seen, the instructors tailor the classes to the needs of the shooter.

cyberfrance

Feb 1, 2012
    First things first - that gun is a 2 inch barreled carry weapon - not a bullseye gun, so dont expect it to be one. That being said, you should be able to get decent accuracy from it. I always post this link whenever someone asks for handgun aiming shooting advice. Its from well known Masaad Ayoob, and is an excellent article /tips. Take a look at it, and apply some of it next time you shoot. Also consider getting some snap caps so that you can practice dry firing. Watch your sight when you pull the trigger, and see if they move to one side or another.

Here is the link to the article:

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/ayoob85.html

That was a wonderful article. I think I pretty much did everything wrong you can do. It's amazing I even hit the target. I was using the parallel foot stance and once I understood his pyramidial stance, it made perfect sense. I think I also "milked" the gun as I fired. Now I understand why my brother kept saying make a tight fist.

Every first time handgun shooter really should read that article. Excellent. I will go out tomorrow and by some dry loads and practice.

cyberfrance

Feb 1, 2012
    Cyberfrance,

Please don't take the following wrong. Unless you have a mentor willing to coach you, a class or a few will get you set off on the right foot.

When you ask a question on the internet, you're going to get 100 answers, with 90 of them being wrong.

The NRA classes cover just about everything: Storage, safety, sight alignment, and proper handling. From what I seen, the instructors tailor the classes to the needs of the shooter.

I totally agree. I will find myself an instructor close by to teach me how to do it well. Thank you. I'm not the least bit offended. If I knew what I was doing, I wouldn't be asking questions or wasting my time here! I'd be out shooting!

cyberfrance

Feb 1, 2012

Of course, you are absolutely correct.

cyberfrance

Feb 1, 2012
    BTW. I think I actually shot a Ruger Service Six revolver. I get them confused. That was the gun my brother wouldn't get off of. Just wanted to correct the record. Too many similar sounding names for this old girl to keep straight!

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Congrats on your first day, Its your first time, dont feel bad about not doing all that great. Im not a big pistol shooter. Sometimes i do well.. other times i don't. I know its me but not sure what im doing wrong. Ill be reading that article tomorrow.

nomo613

Nov 24, 2010
    pikesville
    15 yards!?!? thats pretty far! most of us probably do the bulk of our shooting at 5 to 10 yards. if you pull the target closer, you will have an easier time diagnosing your off shots. master your gun at a close range and then try farther and farther distances. and as far as home/self defense, most encounters will take place at a relatively short distance. the farther you can shoot accurately, the better chance youll have, but anything past 10 yards with a snubby is not necessary defense practice imho.

peace

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2011
    AACo
    Also cyberfrance if someone hasn't taught you how to properly clean your firearm. Please seek that knowledge as well. As for tips for the range. Two things that have helped me and helped me teach others is this: 1) Think of the trigger as a button and your finger as pressing that button, more than a pull. 2) Try holding the trigger in after your shot and making sure your target line and actual line(where you are aiming before / after the shot) are close if not the same.

As for going to OnTarget, avoid Friday evenings and weekends in general unless you want a wait and to see the stereotypical gang-bangers in there shooting sidearm and blasting rounds down range with no sense of hitting your target. One time I was there on a Saturday and these guys two lanes to the right of me kept hitting my target in their drive by style shooting spree. Lets just say they got a stern talking to by me and the RO.

cyberfrance

Feb 1, 2012
    Thanks guys. I didn't think 15 yards was very far at all, but it you think closer is better, then by all means, I'll "give it a shot".

I was taught how to properly clean my gun. Thanks for asking. My brother and father are BOTH sticklers about cleaning a gun every time they shoot. I was surprised at how much soot accumulated with only 60 shots fired. I'm not sure what I thought I'd see (don't get me wrong, it wasn't a lot, but just more than I expected). I guess I've been watching too many movies!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom