So, did SB281 change at all on Good Friday?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I understand that after reading through Amendments and approving or disapproving them, that SB281 was voted through (out of) committee today and it is scheduled for a full House vote next Tuesday. What I would like to know is what in the "fax amendments" made it through. Did all of the fax amendments get approved?

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    About 12 amendments passed, with some minor gains and some minor losses.

What's a FAX amendment?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    Oh - I got it now, the FAX draft. Duh...

Yes all those passed, plus a few more.

C&R exemption from HQL and AWB. PBJ loss of firearm rights for 3 years. A couple more I forget

Sent from my PD_Novel using Tapatalk

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Definitely not where you are!
    So... is registration out and the watered down feature list make it threw? Basically what was on the fax amendment.

I know everyone, including myself is super pissed off that this POS bill passed at all, but if we still got a lack of registration and a limited features list out of this mess, it'll be a good stop-gap until we vote these sh!ts out of office in 2014.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    I'm completely confused...

Has anyone summarized the this highly organized piece of legislation for us ignorant folk who only have 6 years of education beyond high school? :sarcasm:

tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.
    My wife and I got there last night in time to hear 3 amendments and the final vote. Interesting how disorganized the votes seemed to be. Our tax dollars at work, amazing. STILL didn't get to see "the hair" in person.

After it was over MOST of the anti 2A committee members amscrayed out of there like roach;s when you turn the lights on. The pro 2A members went around, talked to a lot of us there. Thanked us for coming. Reid (sp?) actually came around and APOLOGIZED for the vote and talked to 3-4 of us for a good 10-15 minutes about a few things. Glad I went even though I was late to the party, but wanted to support all those that were there all day.

tm12

Dec 22, 2012
    I think a lot of folks are confused about what amendments did/did not pass. It was hard to follow, esp when they re-voted if they didn't like the outcome of the first vote. I suspect the folks who voted to move this along are perfectly happy for the voters to be confused about the contents of the bill. I can see a lot of potential for people to be in non-compliance (should it ultimately become law) simply because they didn't understand the requirements. Maryland rewards criminals, while trying to criminalize the law-abiding.

Robert

Having Fun Yet?
    May 11, 2011
    AA County, MD
    I think a lot of folks are confused about what amendments did/did not pass. It was hard to follow, esp when they re-voted if they didn't like the outcome of the first vote. I suspect the folks who voted to move this along are perfectly happy for the voters to be confused about the contents of the bill. I can see a lot of potential for people to be in non-compliance (should it ultimately become law) simply because they didn't understand the requirements. Maryland rewards criminals, while trying to criminalize the law-abiding.

No more evident in what we saw and heard in that committee yesterday.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    The faxed draft has amendment notations on the right. What I heard yesterday during the openers, was that all but 2, 5, 6, 7 and 10 were blanket accepted (they agreed that 1 - the summary- was a technical amendment that would need editing once the final version was complete). Feel free to chime in and correct.

Then the fun began... A few amendments were accepted, but at this point there is no published version of what it looks like right now that i am aware of. Looking at the MGA site, the summary/document is not there to retrieve.

They held the meeting into the night on Good Friday and just before a holiday weekend... Not sure when it will be posted for us to pour over - thinking April Fool's day, which is appropriate.

If anyone has the collated new version, please post.

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Definitely not where you are!
    The faxed draft has amendment notations on the right. What I heard yesterday during the openers, was that all but 2, 5, 6, 7 and 10 were blanket accepted (they agreed that 1 - the summary- was a technical amendment that would need editing once the final version was complete). Feel free to chime in and correct.

Then the fun began... A few amendments were accepted, but at this point there is no published version of what it looks like right now that i am aware of. Looking at the MGA site, the summary/document is not there to retrieve.

They held the meeting into the night on Good Friday and just before a holiday weekend... Not sure when it will be posted for us to pour over - thinking April Fool's day, which is appropriate.

If anyone has the collated new version, please post.

Thanks for the update! We'll see, said the blind man... with a gun :mad54:

Abuck

Ultimate Member
    Maryland rewards criminals, while trying to criminalize the law-abiding.

No more evident in what we saw and heard in that committee yesterday.

In the last few years, I've listened to, and followed so many of these hearings and committee meetings, here in PA, in MD, and on the federal level. It's really evident how much truth there is in the quotes above. I've heard so little, if any, in all of those debates and discussions, to reduce crime, or deal with actual criminals in general. Instead, it's all about ways to reduce gun ownership through legislation, and even criminalizing otherwise lawful gun owners. So many elected officials have such an obvious hatred of the 2nd Amendment, especially when it comes to their vision of "ordinary" citizens, that they don't care about truth, or stats, or enumerated rights, only about the agenda.

Luckily, here in PA, so far, they are in the minority. Sadly, there in MD, they have a majority it seems. It's really hard to understand how someone can take an oath, and then use a public office to destroy parts of what the oath is about. It's good that there are so many that realize what is happening, and are working to expose, and counter this restriction on rights.

Great job to all of you. Keep up the good work. It's a long fight, and you guys (and gals) seem to be building up some steam, and are learning how to fight them at their own game, and that is awesome. Make them pay politically, wherever, and whenever you can. It seems to be the only thing many of them understand.

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    summary of amendments

I think it [C&R exemption] passed. God knows what happened. I don't feel like I have a good grasp of this at all.

At the Good Friday mark up, an amendment was adopted to exempt antiques and curios & relics from the requirement for the handgun qualification license. However, the Democrats refused to accept another amendment to allow "assault weapons" to be purchased or transferred in state if they meet the federal definition of a "curio or relic." If anyone needs more details on the effects of these two C&R amendments, the one adopted and the one rejected, please e-mail me, rather than posting on this thread.

I was present for the entire committee markup, except for a few short segments. The meeting lasted more than 7 hours. I've posted a summary of the most interesting amendments adopted and rejected here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom