• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    If go back and read Jeff Cooper’s ”Gunsite Insights”, his house on the Gunsite Ranch was set up and designed to defend against possible intruders including perimeter lighting and internal security gates to create choke points in hallways and deny access to bedroom areas. He basically used the idea of a collapsible defense if his front door was breached.

You may say to yourself, “Sure Lee! Serious Lee?”

Yes, I am and don’t call me Shirley.

md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.
    This is very important and not just for the porch but the perimeter of your house.

Also consider having a switch controlled bright spotlight mounted to illuminate out from the door that would disorient or blind an assailant or assailants standing on the porch or attempting to breach your door.

Yes, I’m Tactic Lee speaking here
    Yeah that night i missed grabbing my flashlight that i have for just that purpose. Super bright light in a very small package. I can use it to illuminate the target without pointing the gun but have practiced shooting the gun with the light in my supporting hand. Training doesn't matter if you forget the light.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Yeah that night i missed grabbing my flashlight that i have for just that purpose. Super bright light in a very small package. I can use it to illuminate the target without pointing the gun but have practiced shooting the gun with the light in my supporting hand. Training doesn't matter if you forget the light.
    In Low Light Tactics, Bright White Flashlights can work like Tracers to mark both ends of the Gun-Target Line.

When you wake up, stay in the dark as long as possible since your eyes are already using your full night vision. Use a red or blue lens flashlight until you’re ready to transition and light ‘em up.

First flash of white light and you’re going to lose your tactical advantage and be as night blind as your possible assailants.

Last edited:

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Not saying your wrong but FLIP SIDE.

9pm my wife gets a double puncture. She pulls over about as dumb as you possibly can to where changing the tire isn’t possible. Rural area but this does happen in front of a house. My wife has our 1 year old in the car. I approach th house, stay far back from the door and a mom alone with her 3 kids answers the door. She allows me to pull in her driveway and change the tire.

Gave my wife the truck and I took the car on the donut.

We sent her flowers the next day.
    More flip side(s)
    Circa 1984, my college buddies Dave, Bill, Jim, and I went to see a friend of Dave's named Mike White who was playing guitar and singing at the Manor Tavern. As we headed down Westminster Pike, The Clash's song, Should I Stay or Should I Go Now? was playing on Dave's Firebird radio.

As Mike White played, my buddies blew through all their money on beer. Even when asked, I denied having any cash left.

Once it was closing time, I wasn't able to get the car keys from Dave to let me drive back to school. So at 2 AM, we got into Dave's Firebird, he put it in reverse, and we never made it out of the parking lot. Somehow, he managed to get the car to straddle a railroad tie which got stuck between the rear axle and the transmission linkage, preventing us from putting it in Drive, Neutral or even Park. Great, no jacket, short sleeves and a fine misty rain and 4 stranded knuckleheads that chilly night..

Cue my last $20 and my AAA Membership
    2 Hours later, the AAA Tow truck arrived to lift us off the railroad tie. Even though I don't think I owed for the service call, the driver said I did upon arriving at 4 am or so. Glad I saved my last $20.
    Damp and cold and sober, I was now driving us back.

The fun doesn't stop there. As we finally wound up on Greenspring heading toward Glyndon, the lights began to dim. The alternator was apparently unable to keep up with the defrost, headlights etc. and I had to shut er down on the nearest side street entry to Sagamore and made some decisions from there. By now, it was about 5 o'clock. I was shivering and damp, unable to sleep behind the wheel while the 3 drunks were snoring away soundly with no clue what happened.

Long story short, around 7 AM or so, I walked up to the nearest house to knock and ask if I could use their phone to call for help. The homeowner let me call for help, and I got my sister's boyfriend to bring my car from Cockeysville to jump start us. Not needing headlights in the daytime, the battery did not die on us and we made it back to Western Md College around 9:30.

Lots of things went right despite all that my friends did to make the night go wrong. You can bet your behind that I was glad those people let us use their phone. ( Pre Cell phone days for sure.)

I never ever can hear The Clash and ever forget that night and that song.
    Should I Stay or Should I Go Now?

Last edited:

brianns

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Montgomery County
    In Low Light Tactics, Bright White Flashlights can work like Tracers to mark both ends of the Gun-Target Line.

When you wake up, stay in the dark as long as possible since your eyes are already using your full night vision. Use a red or blue lens flashlight until you’re ready to transition and light ‘em up.

First flash of white light and you’re going to lose your tactical advantage and be as night blind as your possible assailants.
    I realLee appreciate you sharing the famiLee history. I'll have to ask more about it the next time we're at a function.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    OP, what is the general area of WV where this took place?
    Honestly, the car being that far down the road with flashers on makes me think that dude really did have car trouble. He may have had a tire that had a leak but wasn't completely flat. Generally speaking, if someone is planning a home invasion, they're not going to park the getaway vehicle two football fields away.
    That's not to say I wouldn't have been just as cautious. I had a woman pounding on my door at 11PM one night down in Alexandria screaming "Ayuda me! Ayuda me!" (Help me! Help me!) whom I did help, but with a PA-63 tucked discreetly in my waistband.

Jimgoespewpew

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2021
    Terlingua
    Soooo…..Sinbad is going nuts at about 2am. I’m thinking it’s the neighbor’s cat on my porch as usual. My front door is open to let the night air in but the heavy screen door is adequately secured. Sinbad’s barking is becoming more intense and aggressive as I get out of bed. I walk into my living room and I hear “Excuse me excuse me” and there’s a guy at my door peeking around the corner. He’s at a distance because of the dog. I hollered what do you want while I’m pulling my .45 from its holster. He says he has a flat tire and can I help him? I holler NO, he apologizes, and I hear him running away. I shake off the cobwebs from my brain and carefully step out onto the porch, with Sinbad’s collar in one hand and my little friend in the other. There’s a car parked on the road with it’s hazards flashing about 200 yards down the road. OK, maybe he really is having trouble, and I call the sheriff’s department. Ten minutes later, a deputy shows up, they have some exchange….and he drives away with the deputy behind him. He didn’t appear to have a flat tire.

Situational awareness. It is so important to have your wits about you when something like this happens. Rousted from a deep sleep and confronted with a potentially dangerous situation with little time to prepare. I have no idea what this guy was up to - whether he actually had car trouble or if his intentions were more nefarious. At any rate, it’s a really stupid move to beat on someone’s door in the middle of the night out here

Sorry, but you aren't prepared for or aware of anything if you're sleeping deeply with the front door open. You were as good as dead if he was just a little sketchier

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Sketchy Huks

Hukbalahap.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members