• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • safecracker

Unrepentant Sinner
    Feb 26, 2009
    Soooo…..Sinbad is going nuts at about 2am. I’m thinking it’s the neighbor’s cat on my porch as usual. My front door is open to let the night air in but the heavy screen door is adequately secured. Sinbad’s barking is becoming more intense and aggressive as I get out of bed. I walk into my living room and I hear “Excuse me excuse me” and there’s a guy at my door peeking around the corner. He’s at a distance because of the dog. I hollered what do you want while I’m pulling my .45 from its holster. He says he has a flat tire and can I help him? I holler NO, he apologizes, and I hear him running away. I shake off the cobwebs from my brain and carefully step out onto the porch, with Sinbad’s collar in one hand and my little friend in the other. There’s a car parked on the road with it’s hazards flashing about 200 yards down the road. OK, maybe he really is having trouble, and I call the sheriff’s department. Ten minutes later, a deputy shows up, they have some exchange….and he drives away with the deputy behind him. He didn’t appear to have a flat tire.

Situational awareness. It is so important to have your wits about you when something like this happens. Rousted from a deep sleep and confronted with a potentially dangerous situation with little time to prepare. I have no idea what this guy was up to - whether he actually had car trouble or if his intentions were more nefarious. At any rate, it’s a really stupid move to beat on someone’s door in the middle of the night out here.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Not saying your wrong but FLIP SIDE.

9pm my wife gets a double puncture. She pulls over about as dumb as you possibly can to where changing the tire isn’t possible. Rural area but this does happen in front of a house. My wife has our 1 year old in the car. I approach th house, stay far back from the door and a mom alone with her 3 kids answers the door. She allows me to pull in her driveway and change the tire.

Gave my wife the truck and I took the car on the donut.

We sent her flowers the next day.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    WTF? Sketchy Huck at your Door?

Who you calling Sketchy?

I'd don't even know where you live and I'm in the Lower Slower Delaware ATM.

If I ever did a "Ding-Dong-Ditch" at your door, you'd be finding a burning bag of GR crap after that title

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Soooo…..Sinbad is going nuts at about 2am. I’m thinking it’s the neighbor’s cat on my porch as usual. My front door is open to let the night air in but the heavy screen door is adequately secured. Sinbad’s barking is becoming more intense and aggressive as I get out of bed. I walk into my living room and I hear “Excuse me excuse me” and there’s a guy at my door peeking around the corner. He’s at a distance because of the dog. I hollered what do you want while I’m pulling my .45 from its holster. He says he has a flat tire and can I help him? I holler NO, he apologizes, and I hear him running away. I shake off the cobwebs from my brain and carefully step out onto the porch, with Sinbad’s collar in one hand and my little friend in the other. There’s a car parked on the road with it’s hazards flashing about 200 yards down the road. OK, maybe he really is having trouble, and I call the sheriff’s department. Ten minutes later, a deputy shows up, they have some exchange….and he drives away with the deputy behind him. He didn’t appear to have a flat tire.

Situational awareness. It is so important to have your wits about you when something like this happens. Rousted from a deep sleep and confronted with a potentially dangerous situation with little time to prepare. I have no idea what this guy was up to - whether he actually had car trouble or if his intentions were more nefarious. At any rate, it’s a really stupid move to beat on someone’s door in the middle of the night out here.
    Glad this worked out, but I'd be cautious with the bolded approach from a security perspective. The screen door may be "adequately secured", but a quick knife slash and the screen is not.

safecracker

Unrepentant Sinner
    Feb 26, 2009
    Glad this worked out, but I'd be cautious with the bolded approach from a security perspective. The screen door may be "adequately secured", but a quick knife slash and the screen is not.
    It’s actually a heavier duty door with steel mesh as opposed to screening, secured by a knob and a deadbolt. It’ll definitely slow someone down enough for the dog, and then myself, to react accordingly.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    D, that was a good call on your behalf.

"Sorry. I don't have a spare tire that will fit."

Nothing you could do to help his situation. Call AAA, MF'r!

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead

Any follow-up with the sheriff? Was the deputy able to tell what your visitor was actually up to?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    WTF? Sketchy Huck at your Door?

Who you calling Sketchy?

I'd don't even know where you live and I'm in the Lower Slower Delaware ATM.

If I ever did a "Ding-Dong-Ditch" at your door, you'd be finding a burning bag of GR crap after that title
    He said his name was Lee...

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Not saying your wrong but FLIP SIDE.

9pm my wife gets a double puncture. She pulls over about as dumb as you possibly can to where changing the tire isn’t possible. Rural area but this does happen in front of a house. My wife has our 1 year old in the car. I approach th house, stay far back from the door and a mom alone with her 3 kids answers the door. She allows me to pull in her driveway and change the tire.

Gave my wife the truck and I took the car on the donut.

We sent her flowers the next day.

Husband/boyfriend was probably on an upper floor with a scoped .308 keeping an eye on things.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Husband/boyfriend was probably on an upper floor with a scoped .308 keeping an eye on things.
    Lol yard wasn’t that big I probably wouldn’t have far to run.

Again 100% not saying OP was wrong! When you body tells you something it’s beneficial to listen, just throwing the flip side out there!

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    Good thread to raise awareness, best to rehearse some situations now.
    A few years ago, I was awakened by loud banging on the front door on a dark rainy night.
    The whole house was awake now and my son yelled the police were out front! It was a sheriff deputy shining a very bright light into my house. So reluctantly I unlocked the door but bracing it with my knee, he tried to push his way into my house! Through a heated exchange about who he was and what he wanted, my wife on the landing above me shouting back and forth to me and him, because I don't hear too well and still half asleep, he said they had a "911 hang-up". When he tried to force his way in, he saw me reach for my little buddy and he jumped back and off the porch. My wife is shouting "you have the wrong house, this is ROAD, they live on the COURT!" His partner down in the driveway is shouting to the deputy now "come on, let's go, we have the wrong house!"
    Could have ended badly, he could have/would have shot me.
    If he crossed the threshold, he definitely would not have been explaining himself, but my family's life would have been changed forever...
    No harm done, lesson learned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom