• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shadow68

May 4, 2009
    AA Co.
    So, I've recently gotten back into shooting, and my wife knows how to handle a gun as well.
    With that - we've been watching a lot of the Outdoor Channels "Wednesday Night at the Range" programs.

After seeing "Cowboys!" my wife expressed some interest. My first reaction was "I don't wanna dress up like a cowboy."

But, after some reflection - it occurred to me that I'd just shot down (pun intended) an attempt by my wife to have us regularly go shooting together...
    What was I thinking? Give up an excuse to go to gun shows, buy more guns and shoot more often? All of that not only with her endorsement, but her actual participation!

That'd be worth donning a hat and boots.
    Hell, I used to have fun playing cowboy as a kid - now I'd get to do it with real guns.

So, I found out that AAF&G had a "posse" that meets once a month; I emailed their contacts to confirm the shoot date and make sure they'd be ok with guests...

We were emailed back with a warm invite, even offering to loan eyes & ears if we didn't have any of our own.

We went this past Saturday - what a great bunch of folks! They took the time to explain everything to us - Enlisted our help with counting misses/hits - And several not only offered, but practically insisted that we try out their guns (after a safety briefing, of course).

So by the end of the shoot - we'd each put about 20 rounds downrange with assorted revolvers, another 15 or so each with lever actions, and a handful of shotgun rounds as well. (I found the BP coach gun quite entertaining - lots of boom and smoke, not near the kick I'd expected)

We even had several folks offer to loan us some of their "spare" guns at the next shoot to get us started...

She's still interested - and I've warmed up to the idea quite a bit after our great experience. It seems very "newbie friendly" and I think it has just the right intensity of competition to make it interesting for her and I to compete without getting "too serious" - several folks told us the top 2 priorities were: 1. Safety & 2. Have fun.

I'm not one much to take advantage of the kindness of others - so I'm looking for advice/suggestions on acquiring the necessary gear as inexpensively as possible.

I was told that they'd setup the shooting order so that my wife and I could share guns - so that helps the startup budget considerably...

I've been seriously considering BP revolvers - but in researching them, even at their cheapest (new), when I factor in getting the "Remington Style" for the ease of swapping cylinders, and a spare cylinder for each, I'm getting up near $240 each (not counting loading tools). Also, I'm not sure that while we're starting out that I'd want to have that much more to think about (loading/cleaning between stages, etc.)

I'm guessing that I may be able to acquire some nice used cartridge guns for not much more than that.

If any local dealers read this, I'd surely be interested in what you have to offer both new and used.

I'm pretty much set on .357/.38 due to the lower cost of ammo and lower recoil.

Any advice, suggestions, benefit of experience is appreciated.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    PM GNLafrance (sp?) I believe he did some of this style shooting. Congratulations on getting her out there too. I love the style of guns but I'm not so much into the competition. Beretta makes a nice SA revolver (the Stampeed I think) and I personally think the Ruger Vaquero can't be beat for this stuff.

sinzitu

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2009
    TN
    Another local club with a big SASS community is Thurmont Conservation and Sportsmans Club. www.tcandsc.org

They have blackpowder and mounted events. Also lots of SASS events. The Mason Dixon Stampede which is the biggest SASS regional event. The dates are October 1-4.

I'm sure you'd meet lots of folks willing to show you the ropes and answer questions.

Shadow68

May 4, 2009
    AA Co.
    PM GNLafrance (sp?) I believe he did some of this style shooting.
    I've seen some of his posts - I hesitate to PM unsolicited - not to mention that the open discussion might benefit someone else with similar questions.
    I'm sure he'll be along shortly. :)
    I love the style of guns but I'm not so much into the competition.
    As for the competition aspect, the group that we were with certainly had some shooters that were interested in their score - But there were some folks (that seemed to be long time participants) that were clearly not concerned with their scores - one fellow shot with a pistol in each hand and was grinning the whole time - my wife was helping the scorekeepers at the time and they warned her that it'd be easier to count his hits rather than try and track his misses. They were correct. So it was apparently usually the outcome with him. No one seemed to mind, so long as the safety rules were adhered to and he was clearly having fun whether he was shooting or not.

So, as a group, they really do seem to be mostly about having fun, rather than getting good scores.
    If you've never been, they're a very welcoming bunch and a lot of fun to be around.

Beretta makes a nice SA revolver (the Stampeed I think) and I personally think the Ruger Vaquero can't be beat for this stuff.
    I've seen the Berettas and the Rugers - actually, seeing the used price online for some Blackhawks at around $300 - $350 is what prompted me to pursue used cartridge guns rather than new cap & ball BP. Although, I'm not sure if the Blackhawk is OK for SASS matches. It seems that the Vaquero is one of the more popular guns, but my impression is that it is a little bit more expensive.

I've also seen that there are some companies that specialize in guns for CAS. Cimmaron, Taylors and a few others - from what I've read so far I think they are made by European manufacturers (Italian mostly) and imported/marketed by the US companies. But other than that, I don't really know much about them.

Thanks for the input - I'm fond of my Ruger pistol, so I wouldn't hesitate to add a couple of their revolvers to the mix - but it always is nice to hear other endorsments (especially from someone whose title is wheelgunner :D)

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    The Ruger Blackhawks are excellent guns, but I'm not sure about thier use here. New, they're a good deal more than Vaquero's I believe. I've long believed that the Italians are still obsessed with Sergio Leon so they may indeed make some fine "Western" guns but I have no direct experience.

That Bisley for sale is a **very** nice gun and if I had the spare cash it would not still be for sale.

Shadow68

May 4, 2009
    AA Co.
    Another local club with a big SASS community is Thurmont Conservation and Sportsmans Club. www.tcandsc.org

They have blackpowder and mounted events. Also lots of SASS events. The Mason Dixon Stampede which is the biggest SASS regional event. The dates are October 1-4.

I'm sure you'd meet lots of folks willing to show you the ropes and answer questions.

Ah, I'm glad you pointed that out - I forgot to mention that we are planning on heading up to Thurmont one day that weekend. (Hoping to procure some leather, among other things)

If anyone else is planning on going - it'd be great to meet some other MDShooters members. I'm not sure which day though - she hasn't gotten her work schedule yet...

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    I've seen some of his posts - I hesitate to PM unsolicited - not to mention that the open discussion might benefit someone else with similar questions.
    I'm sure he'll be along shortly. :)

Hey! Was that a crack about my height?

Yeah, I started out in SASS and went to a shoot at the Damascus Izaak Walton League range, had a great time. SASS is fine if it fits you, but I'd been a Civil War reenactor and wanted to get closer to the real history. I found and joined the National Congress of Old West Shootists (see sig below) because they feel the same way.

There's no local NCOWS posse, but it's recently become easier to form one. I'd jump at joining one at a local range, and am looking into starting the process of forming a posse based at the AGC range. We wouldn't be able to run Western Action Shooting (WAS) stages, but we could get organized and get the gear and stuff together to target practice for when the members could make it out to the Midwest. Even this is still a ways off, at least for now.

Here's the on-line place to hang out with other WAS enthusiasts: CAS City

Shadow68

May 4, 2009
    AA Co.
    Hey! Was that a crack about my height?
    It wan't meant to be - but if the shoe fits... :innocent0:D

Yeah, I started out in SASS and went to a shoot at the Damascus Izaak Walton League range, had a great time. SASS is fine if it fits you, but I'd been a Civil War reenactor and wanted to get closer to the real history. I found and joined the National Congress of Old West Shootists (see sig below) because they feel the same way.

I'd seen your reference to NCOWS in another post and followed your link. It interests me, but at the moment I think we'll be content with SASS to get started. AAF&G is close to home and I think the "creative license" that is allowed for attire will hold a longer term appeal for my wife. If getting to create new "purdy" outfits keeps her interested, then it works for me. If she eventually decides that she doesn't want to do it anymore - I may be interested in something more technically accurate.

Here's the on-line place to hang out with other WAS enthusiasts: CAS City

That looks like a great site - actually it looks like they have episodes from the TV show I'd mentioned above... That's great, because the website they list at the end of the program is just a farewell from what I assume to be the previous host of the show.

Thanks for the info! :thumbsup: Looks like I've got lots of reading to do...

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    There, I fixed it. :D

Weren't no problem, I make fun of myself worse than anyone else does
    becky.gif

See ya on the trail, pard.
    grin.gif

Maxx

Apr 4, 2009
    Howdy Partner! SASS is a great organization and the people who I've been around at the shoots have be absolutely awesome.

Yes, SASS will let you use Blackhawks but it in a different class of competition than fixed site guns. When I first started with SASS I only had a Blackhawk 357, a borrowed Winchester and shotgun.

I'm not a member anymore, it was getting expensive and my chum who got me into it moved away from the area.

I still love shooting my cowboy guns and hope to get back into SASS in a few years after I get some home improvement projects finished.

I still have the Blackhawk, it was my very first gun, but I now have two Vaqueros and a Winchester Model 94 Trapper in 44 mag, and a coach gun I bought cheap at a gun show. I would suggest going to a gun show, sometimes you can find good deals like I did.

Oh, yeah. Thurmont Conservation and Sportsman's Club is a great club too, I was so happy when they decided to hold these matches.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The Blackhawks are in Modern class whereas the Vaqueros were created on purpose for the more popular Traditional class. Due to supply and demand used Blackhawks oftenn much lesss than Vaqeros.
    Italian SAA clones are all over the map. The one with the cheesy look of past decades are available for the price of dirt. The higher end ones are excellent, many of them historically correct to specific time periods and/ or set up for various competion.
    .38 is especially popular with those who are "serious" about winning. .45 widely popular with those just havinng fun . The historically minded will persue more obscure cals like .38-40, .32-20, etc
    There are a multitude of shotguns either intended, or older. The Stogers are decent and reasonable of new.
    There are multitudes of rifles available in every conncievable model and cal. Just none cheap anymore.

Shadow68

May 4, 2009
    AA Co.
    Good info to know about the Blackhawks - it seems that they'd be the right choice for starting (not to mention, just a great gun to own for any reason). And if I understand correctly, we'd be able to eventually add different types of guns to allow us to compete in multiple class shoots at the same competition. So, add a pair of fixed sighted ones to compete in Traditional, a couple of C&B to compete in Blackpowder, etc.

Definately .38 to start (for all of the mentioned reasons) - but I really like shooting a .45 ACP so, eventually when money allows - I see a .45 LC in my future, shame I'm not in the position to get this from herr.baer too...

Based on the comment - Gonna try and head to Timonium this weekend and check out the shotgun/rifle situation...

Shadow68

May 4, 2009
    AA Co.
    Oh - I almost forgot to ask - anyone ever considered using Nagant Revolvers?

The "real" ammo would be a bit pricey (best I've seen online is ~$25/box of 50)
    and I hear that the trigger pull is awful - but they'd sure get some attention I'd bet!

Just a crazy thought given how inexpensive they are...

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    Oh - I almost forgot to ask - anyone ever considered using Nagant Revolvers?

Submitted as background information, sir:

I just did a search for 'Nagant' in CAS City and found some threads, but nothing that discusses using it for WAS.

It occurs to me that would be a great question for you to ask in the NCOWS forum and in the Barracks. Great way to introduce yourself.

NCOWS rules say a firearm must have been "in common use" in the West from 1866 to 1899. I include Alaska in the Old West and would opine that the territory saw some Nagants carried by Russians.

By the way, NCOWS allows period double action revolvers while SASS does not.

The GAF is even more inclusive than NCOWS. Perhaps you'd want to get a Imperial Russian officer outfit together, but a uniform is not required for GAF. Вы говорите на русском языке? :cool:

Shadow68

May 4, 2009
    AA Co.
    It occurs to me that would be a great question for you to ask in the NCOWS forum and in the Barracks. Great way to introduce yourself.

NCOWS rules say a firearm must have been "in common use" in the West from 1866 to 1899. I include Alaska in the Old West and would opine that the territory saw some Nagants carried by Russians.

I'll have to join up at CAS City & make that post - it should make for a fun thread, watch for it.

I'd tend to agree with your supposition about the Nagants in Alaska.
    It's almost surprising that there isn't some old legend about an outlaw with a pair of Russian Seven Shooters.

The GAF is even more inclusive than NCOWS. Perhaps you'd want to get a Imperial Russian officer outfit together, but a uniform is not required for GAF. Вы говорите на русском языке? :cool:

Это может быть интересно играть как русский офицер. Он бы, безусловно, будет интересно играть со старой русской пушки.
    Я полагаю, мне не следует пытаться ее на SASS хотя - ковбои, возможно, не нравится слишком много. Так что я бы, безусловно, необходимо найти какой поблизости GAF клубов. :D

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    Это может быть интересно играть как русский офицер. Он бы, безусловно, будет интересно играть со старой русской пушки.
    Я полагаю, мне не следует пытаться ее на SASS хотя - ковбои, возможно, не нравится слишком много. Так что я бы, безусловно, необходимо найти какой поблизости GAF клубов. :D

Да, я думаю, что ковбои не любят русских. И GAF свободен присоединиться! Я буду искать Вас. :D

From my sig on CAS City: Vous pouvez voir par mes vêtements que je ne suis pas un cowboy. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom