• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    This is a good one.

Listing title: "RARE ARGENTINE MAUSER"

Description: "Your bidding on a 1891 Argentine Mauser in 7.65x53(7.65x54). This rifle is rare in that it appears to have never fired live ammunition, cleaned out barrel only to fined black power from blanks[.]"

$650 for a sporter?!?!?! I didn't pay that much for my "rare" crested 1891.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=454477443

Andy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sig63

Jun 15, 2009
    FREED AT LAST!!!
    "it appears to have never fired live ammunition, cleaned out barrel only to fined black power from blanks[.]"

:lol:

The white gloves certainly lend some credibility to this very scientific conclusion. I am very tempted to email and ask him if he did his analysis with a field swab or back in the lab with the mass spectrometer.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    $650 for a sporter?!?!?! I didn't pay that much for my "rare" crested 1891.

Ridiculous ... but you stole that crested 1891 at the price that you paid. Mine arrived yesterday. It's not in nearly as "unused" condition as yours appears to be, but it's very nice, give that it was apparently issued. Nothing serious wrong with it, and what's on it is "honest wear" from handling and storage.

It did have an import mark (not hard to see ... not sure why seller claimed he wasn't sure if one was there, or not). Ironically, it's another early mark from New Helvetia Mercantile--the same people who brought in my Armada Sistema. It seems that they were among the first to get into the Argentine surplus, and were able to hand-pick the guns that they sold. They apparently had a partner in Argentina in the '80s.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Ridiculous ... but you stole that crested 1891 at the price that you paid. Mine arrived yesterday. It's not in nearly as "unused" condition as yours appears to be, but it's very nice, give that it was apparently issued. Nothing serious wrong with it, and what's on it is "honest wear" from handling and storage.

It did have an import mark (not hard to see ... not sure why seller claimed he wasn't sure if one was there, or not). Ironically, it's another early mark from New Helvetia Mercantile--the same people who brought in my Armada Sistema. It seems that they were among the first to get into the Argentine surplus, and were able to hand-pick the guns that they sold. They apparently had a partner in Argentina in the '80s.

I've found that most of these carry a simple "7.53" mark. Most people have no idea that's the import mark.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member

Post good pics!

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Rear sight goes up to 2,000 meters. Original, I think. Haven't verified the date of manufacture yet, but it's a Lowe, so it ought to be 1891. It has a box mag with the lock on it, also. (Date of Mfg. 1894.)

Both the pre- and post-updated rear sight leaves went to 2,000 meters. My guess is that the sight has been updated given the locking box mag, but who knows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom