• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JDove

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2010
    Yes, in it's current form it will be banned. Good news though, it's not banned by name, only features. So theoretically post Oct 1, with a muzzle brake or a pinned stock, it would be available. Hope someone can make that happen.

L0gic

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2013
    Yes, in it's current form it will be banned. Good news though, it's not banned by name, only features. So theoretically post Oct 1, with a muzzle brake or a pinned stock, it would be available. Hope someone can make that happen.

Not banned by name = currently cash in carry (for the most part). Engage Armament mentioned they had some in or on the way. Check the IP section and barring that, there is always GB - http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=358987263

TheBulge

Mar 7, 2011
    Which reminds me that I need to buy a folding stock or two so that I can (or at least reserve the right to have) "banned" configurations before 10/1.

You need to possess the rifle before Oct 1st. You can buy a folding stock for a grandfathered rifle anytime.

vgplayer

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    King George, VA
    It fails (or passes) the 2 feature test (Folding stock and flash hider) but....

Buy it out of state and remove the flash hider before crossing the MD state line and you are GTG. You won't ever be able to put a flash hider back on unless you pin the stock but you can put a muzzle break or a suppressor on.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Wrong. It needs to be in a banned config before 10/1.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

I would dispute this statement for the simple reason that swapping accessories is not manufacturing and thus not illegal after Oct 1.

The two feature test is for sales and transfer only as I read it. If you have a grandfathered firearm, you can still swap in/out accessories after Oct 1, you just can't sell it/transfer it in state in the banned configuration. Changing a firearms configuration doesn't negate it being grandfathered.

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    Wrong. It needs to be in a banned config before 10/1.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

I don't see that written in the law anywhere. It's another one of the things those idiots haven't considered. They have no clue how a simple thing such as a stock can change a configuration of the same gun. I thought about what it would have been like if someone showed up with a Mini 14 ranch rifle and a Mini 14 with the folding stock at the SB281 hearings and then swapped stocks in front of them. I think their heads would have exploded.

TheDevilHimself

, Duffy's Gun Room
    Industry Partner
    Jul 15, 2011
    Sparks, MD
    I still have a few in stock, and I intend to offer post ban legal versions with some form of muzzle brake or compensator installed in lieu of the flash hider.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I would dispute this statement for the simple reason that swapping accessories is not manufacturing and thus not illegal after Oct 1.
    Sorry, but possession is illegal after 10/1 unless you meet one of the grandfathering exception criteria (eg, owned it before 10/1). If G-d Himself spontaneously generated it for you after 10/1, you wouldn't be allowed to own it. See below for more details.

I don't see that written in the law anywhere.
    It's right in the grandfathering criteria. You must possess the assault long gun or copycat weapon. Unless your rifle was in a configuration that would make it an assault long gun or copycat weapon before 10/1, you did not own the assault long gun or copycat weapon prior to 10/1. On a similar note, you can't go turn a pre-10/1 HBAR into a non-HBAR AR-15 after 10/1.

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    Sorry, but possession is illegal after 10/1 unless you meet one of the grandfathering exception criteria (eg, owned it before 10/1). If G-d Himself spontaneously generated it for you after 10/1, you wouldn't be allowed to own it. See below for more details.

It's right in the grandfathering criteria. You must possess the assault long gun or copycat weapon. Unless your rifle was in a configuration that would make it an assault long gun or copycat weapon before 10/1, you did not own the assault long gun or copycat weapon prior to 10/1. On a similar note, you can't go turn a pre-10/1 HBAR into a non-HBAR AR-15 after 10/1.

I disagree. The "gun" is not the stock. The Mini 14 stock situation is something that they have no clue about. It can be changed with 3 screws. I purchased mine with the folding stock and it was regulated. I could easily put a regualr stock on it in minutes. It is still registered, but in their minds it wouldn't need to be. You can try to "make it be in there" all you want, but it is not covered.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I disagree. The "gun" is not the stock.
    Where did I write that? You are misunderstanding the point I'm trying to make.

A Mini-14 without a folding stock is not a copycat gun or assault long gun. Therefore, the pre-10/1 grandfathering exception doesn't help you, because the grandfathering exception requires that it be a copycat gun or assault long gun in your possession before 10/1. It needs to be in a banned configuration before 10/1 to trigger the exception as a result - this is analogous to the HBAR situation. Seriously, just read the law. It is not unclear. I don't think you've actually read it, and won't believe it unless you quote it here.

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    The original statement was that the firearm "needs to be in the banned configuration before 10/1 to be exempt."

I have read the law and do not recall seeing anything that says a ranch rifle that I already own will become illegal for me to own if I put the ATI stock on it.

Selling and transfering in the configuration, yes, but not owning.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Selling and transfering in the configuration, yes, but not owning.
    You see, this is how I know you didn't really read the law. Let me quote it for you:
    a person may not possess, sell, offer to sell, transfer, purchase, or receive an assault weapon

That's not taken out of context at all, FYI. By installing that folding stock in that scenario I described, you have created a rifle you are not authorized to possess. Absolutely no different than putting a normal AR-15 upper on a pre-10/1 HBAR.

The law starts out with the assumption that you are not even allowed to have the banned gun in your possession. You need to find the exemption. Let me quote the grandfathering exemption:

A person who lawfully possessed an assault long gun or copycat weapon before October 1, 2013 may (I) possess and transport the assault long gun or copycat weapon.

Again, this is not even remotely ambiguous.

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    The difference is that I have read the law in context. Keep taking it out of context all you want, this discussion is becoming nonsense.

Stop assuming that you know what I have and have not read. You've read the law just like all of the FFL's that won't release after 8 days. :sad20:

The ironic thing is that you seem so happy in your unwavering support of SB281. That really makes one wonder...

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    All of those people who bought lowers are going to be awfully disappointed that they can't assemble them after 10/1 based on your interpretation of the law.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom