• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Sorry for the delay, I got your P.M.

When SIG 1911's were new they had alot of issues as Lou pointed out.

I dont currently see them for often for problems as I used to.

This means one of several things, 1 Sales have slowed thus less unit in circulation, 2 SIGs 1911 quality has improved, 3 people that may have problems either dont know what to look for, or dont shoot them enough to bear out the problems, 4 people use SIG warranty over using a local smith.

The one my friend was thinking about buying recently had an improper ramp gap, but he missed out and someone else bought it. He did buy one, but I havent looked at it yet. Its easy for a knowledged 1911 Pistolsmith to correct these issues. Same for Extractor issues. The Barrel Gap issue wil cause failure to feed for almost any Hollow Point, and even some FMJ's. This issue is what I cal a clicker, because if you pass a ballpoint pen up the ramp it binds and then clicks when it breaks free. This is NOT optimal for reliability. This kind of work will run about $125.00 for a good Smith to perform, but why should a person who just laid out over a grand fo ra gun have to pay a Smith to make it run. This pisses me off because I see customers deal with this often, especially from Springfield, Colt, and Kimber. If you pay 1K for a gun it should have some attention to detail.

All of the problem SIG 1911's I saw/see were an easy fix just like a legacy 1911. Work on the Ramps, Mouth, Breach Face, and Extractor Contour. You dont have to mess with tension on extranal extractors like legacy 1911 extractors.

I personally prefer external extractors because they dont require maintenance/adjustment like Old BHP and Internal 1911 Extractors do. The problem is execution on how these modern 1911 producers manufacture and finish the different 1911 extractors. Everyone does something different, there is no "Standard". There is not single standard like internal 1911 extractors, sorta like the piston AR15. Everyone who makes one does it different and different manufactureres are not cross compatible.

I like the theory of external 1911 extractors but until everyone makes them the same way I hate them because if the part breaks then SIG is the only source for parts.

If I break my AR15 (Direct Impingement), or my legacy 1911, I can get parts from a hundred different sources and local shops if need be.

Gun companies, and gun models come and go. In my experience its something I consider when I get a gun. The sompanys reputation for supporting items, making QUALITY items, and wether the gun is cross compatible with other manufacturers parts if the line is discontinued.

Personally my preference for the modern 1911 (External Extractor and a Rail System) is Smith and Wesson. The Parts are finished nicer, triggers are often better, and I rarely see one for reliability issues. They do have external extractors though.

What kind of budget are you working with? What do you want? Adjustable or fixed sights, std or night sights, beavertail or std grip safety, lanyard loop or not, slide serrations front and back or not, puropse of the gun (Home Defense, Competition, etc), suppressor or not, stainless or blued/painted.

You said you wanted a rail, what are you mounting? A Light, Laser? If you want a laser get Crimson Trace Grips. Dont get an external laser they cause holster compatibility issues. Lasermax 1911 lasers SUCK, stay away. If you get a railed 1911 not all are done the same so holster selection is limited, thus you may need a custom holster made. Custom holsters start at $150 and go up depending on the material used.

BTW, I dont recomend any mags besides Wilson. Many Aftermarket mags and Factory Mags dont feed reliably and some mags like CMC's can damage the feed ramp from the pointed follower.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    ...and some mags like CMC's can damage the feed ramp from the pointed follower.

:shocked4: Damn; I never knew that. That's all I've ever used. And one of my 1911's is alloy framed! I will have to take a close look soon and see if there is damage.

Thanks for the tip. :thumbsup:

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Chad, I'm glad to hear that Sig has supposedly improved their QC (at least in potential theory) on their 1911's. But just as you said, there's no "standard" regarding the external extractors.

ASM80

Mar 10, 2012
    Hereford, MD
    Damn, I should of researched this a bit more. I just purchased a Sig 1911 XO. I hope i dont get screwed.

I'll be sure to check everything out listed in this and other threads and report back on it accordingly.

Thanks for the tips and things to look for.

Damn, I should of researched this a bit more. I just purchased a Sig 1911 XO. I hope i dont get screwed.

I'll be sure to check everything out listed in this and other threads and report back on it accordingly.

Thanks for the tips and things to look for.

Maintenance is your friend. Keep that 1911 clean and oiled and you shouldn't have a problem. I have countless rounds through my SIGs and I clean/lube them religiously.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Maintenance is your friend. Keep that 1911 clean and oiled and you shouldn't have a problem. I have countless rounds through my SIGs and I clean/lube them religiously.

Its good advice indeed but those thongs wont correct the issies I outlined, nor will break in. It requires a trip to SIG or a Smith or user that is a competent smith themselves.

Ooops

Former Navy Bubblehead
    Nov 11, 2010
    Red Lion, PA
    I had an XO. Not a bad 1911. No issues to speak of but I wasn't a fan of the nitron finish or the adjustable sights.

The gun went bang every time the trigger was pulled though. Wouldn't mind a tacops after a refinish job.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I didn't mention "thongs", you did.:tongue01:

Not sure why you are posting that.

Yes, it was a spelling error on my part. "Things" is what I meant to type.

I said legacy 1911s can cave the same issues. These things are not specific to a SIG 1911. I simply pointed out that of you break a SIG 1911 extractor they are not readily available like Legacy 1911 Extractors are.

cjroman

Apr 4, 2012
    Calvert County
    I've had a Nitron Rail since Aug 2010. It has been 100%. I have used it in a few rifle courses as my secondary. The only change I made was to replace the factory wood grips with ERGO operators.
    For the money, you can't really get as many features (Night Sights, Checkered Front Strap, Undercut Trigger Guard) as you do in a SIG 1911. Shoot it, lube it, change the recoil spring when needed and there should be no issues. SIG also has a Lifetime Warranty. One downside is the non standard slide profile, however there are several makers of quality holsters, I use a Kramer Vertical Scabbard in horsehide for OWB and an Alessi Talon for IWB.
    The factory mags are crap...I use Wilson Combat 47Ds and have no issues.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I just (late May) purchased a Nitron Rail in the Tac Pac. I've followed the SIG 1911 since it was introduced so finally decided to the get one. Accumulated gift monies and sale of an additional pistol. Internally it was good, not refined, but nice parts. Trigger was nice. Seemed to be tool steel hammer and sear, the rest of the small parts appeared to be MIM. But nicely made compared to some other stuff that is out there. The barrel locked up bank vault solid, slide to frame fit was very nice and bushing fit splendid. A little internal TLC with this pistol in the right places would have made it very nice, indeed.

I shot 75 rounds through it and stopped. I sent that pistol back for erratic accuracy and GROSSLY offcenter firing pin strikes - as in on the edge of the small primer 45 ACP ammo Federal produces. They destroyed it since they couldn't get it to center strike the primers. They sent a whole new pistol pack back. Guess what. The replacement pistol has the same offcenter firing pin strikes..though not quite as bad. The internals are not as nicely fitted, though prefitted nature of the parts are nice. The accuracy is much better and more consistant. The barrel lugs were nicely machined as far as appearance goes.

The replacement pistol also has a sharp edge on the underside of grip safety where it interfaces the frame. It is irritating to shoot when using thumb over safety hold.

I disassembled the pistol and got out the calipers. This pistol only has .038" lockup. The locking lugs in the slide are deep enough to achieve a good fit. I measured the barrel upper locking lug depth, and only got about .040". I tapped the pin out a bit measured the lower lug pin hole to lug flat and found they were only at .090", IIRC. Properly fitted barrel in correct dimensioned frame and slide typically are .098" to .108". I then looked more closely for fitting in the upper lugs and found none. Apparantly these parts are machined close, if not spot on then touched and polished in the right places. Seems the CNC machining specs were programmed incorrectly.

I am not knocking the pistol nor SIG. I really do like the pistol and the overall performance is very good. I shot over 200 rounds through it and it never fed rough or missed a beat. The trigger is tolerable and I've felt worse even with the rough finish on the sear nose. Nor is there a complaint with SIG's initial customer service. Stuff happens. They expedited the replacement pistol's delivery and didn't drag their feet. I'll be calling them again soon after a few more checks to see if we can find another solution.

Yme

Platinum Member
    Nov 3, 2012
    Sorry to revive this thread, but I've been looking at the Sig Scorpion and was convinced to get it, but after reading this thread, I've had my concerns.

I wonder if i should just get a Colt 1911 instead for the Scorpion?

chale127

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2008
    Brooklyn, MD
    Not a thing wrong with the Scorpion, it's on my to-do list, as with ANYTHING mechanical in mature you have a dud from time to time, the important thing is that Sig stands behind their product and makes it right when there is an issue

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    My TTT is fantastic. Most accurate pistol I believe I've ever fired. But I'm pretty accurate with any. My first 500 or so rounds I had maybe 5 failure to feeds. By failure I mean just short of battery where a little tap forward on the slide easily sat the round. I'm not one to complain about less than perfect engineering genius on a pistol. I can easily manage a malfunction drill and fight through it. I was going to take the pistol to Chad regardless and have him add a little love after a few rounds. honestly, I really don't know all that he did, but wow. I know some stuff was buffed and smoothed and the slide feels like butter. I did want a better trigger, so he replaced it. It went from about 6 lbs to just under 3 maybe? It has nearly no reset travel on it and breaks crisp just by starting at it. I LOVE it. Since the work i have about 400 rounds through her without a hiccup.
    I think the firing pin hits ever so slightly off primer center, but is negligible. I'll post a bad pic :)

Sent from my phone from somewhere in the world.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1353632716900.jpg
      uploadfromtaptalk1353632716900.jpg
      29.9 KB · Views: 109

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads