• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mancheechee

Daily Trigger
    Jul 22, 2010
    Frederick
    well,
    went to hafer's and saw some fine sig sauer 1911 s. I'm drooling over them. thinking about the scorpion or a blued version with the bottom rail...forgot the model name.

Your thoughts?

If you know about sig 1911, I'd like to hear about it.

anyway, I've gotta wait til I sell some guns to fund it so it may take a while.

The Shooter

Nov 28, 2010
    A.A. Co
    I've got the sig 1911 scorpion. I like it a lot. However the two factory mags that come with it are crap. Also the finish is pretty easliy chipped which is kind of annoying. If I had to do it all over I'd probably would have gone with the XO.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?p=1256351&highlight=sig#post1256351
    basically generic statement on qc and extractor issues. I'd like to hear Chad swing in here with an update to see what current production is like. I know a lot of gun companies have really just gone stupid with ramping up production lately(and it will get worse as nov looms). I wonder how often they are maintaining machines and replacing worn tools as they punch guns out. With the demand on the industry, it would be easy to let qc slide to pump out more guns, or switch to inferior and cheaper production methods.

I'd also like a more technical breakdown of speciffic areas in where he's seeing qc issues with the sig 1911's. Is it the lug engagement into the slides? is it improper fitting of the barrel link? Extractor issues? Rough or improperly cut breech faces? Inconsistent triggers? Poor fit of the grip safety to thumb safety and frame? Poor finishing? Issues with improperly cut chambers? Improper rail to slide fit? I haven't gotten to shoot them, but have fondled quite a few and looked them over/played with trigger. They've both seemed to be tight with decent triggers, but I'm still a novice and don't have the trained eye of someone experienced with the platform.

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    I have the Tac Ops 1911 and love it. Still fairly new (about 500 rounds) so I can't comment on the durability but no issues so far.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    They're decent shooters when they're running. The main problems are the external extractors and overall QC. One can get a good one or a bad one. I just to happen into a bad one for one of my personal guns a few years ago. It was fine right out of the box but became a real problem after 'bout 700 rds been through it. Had to rework the extractor two times to get that damned thing running right again. Sig quality is not what the GERMAN SIG quality was noted for.

mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina
    I have sold lots of them at Hafer's and I have only seen one come back with and issue and that was the a problem with the ambi safety coming off. Some how have bought them have called or came in the same day saying how great it was. Tim is a gunsmith and I see what has come in over the past couple years and there was one Sig P226 an old West German model that the guy said he bet had over 100K though it and need a spring or something. I don't discredit what other smiths have seen but I know what I have seen at our shop.

sbmike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2011
    Almost Heaven, WV
    I finally took the plunge a few months back and bought a Sig 1911 Extreme. I've shot just under 1000 rounds through it without a hiccup. It is probably the best shooting pistol I own. But as others have said, maybe I just lucked up and got a good one. I love that pistol!

LineofSight

MSI Member, NRA Member
    Oct 4, 2010
    All OVER
    I've got the sig 1911 scorpion. I like it a lot. However the two factory mags that come with it are crap. Also the finish is pretty easliy chipped which is kind of annoying. If I had to do it all over I'd probably would have gone with the XO.

Check the warranty card. I thought I saw on mine that the finish was a lifetime guarantee. I could be wrong but it's worth a look. Mine has held up well thankfully.

Use Chip McCormick mags...2 thumbs up.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    I never really understood putting external extractors on 1911's. Internals are not that difficult to replace if they break as well.

That being said - Man - go see the gang at Sang Run Sports Shop. I was just chatting with Pete a few weeks back at the shop, he's a fan of the Sig 1911's, and they happen to have the one your talking about in the display case. You already know the crew there...

RCS 2-tone has my attention.

I have only fired one SIG 1911, and while it shot beautifully, the @#$%^&* lanyard connection point almost cut me.

My two Elites have that nasty lanyard cut out. I took an old hockey puck and cut it out the same shape and removed the pin, put the piece of rubber in the slot and replaced the pin. Afterwards I trimmed the excess rubber with an exacto knife. Result no more lanyard slot and it looks clean also.

Attachments

• IMG.jpg
      IMG.jpg
      13.4 KB · Views: 309

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JBIRD EST.1984

Latest threads

Top Bottom