• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    So, finally managed to get a line on one and while waiting for release pondering a few things. It's a .40, that means I can get the drop in Sig barrel for .357Sig....worth it?

Barsto makes a semi-fitter 9mm conversion barrel and you need to use 9mm mags.....again, worth it?

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    I have a W German 229 that came from the factory with both 40 & 357 sig barrels.
    Is it worth it... Its a Sig Silly , of course its worth it.

rsj1231

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2013
    Harford County
    Yes to all of your questions!

I have a .40 226, got the 357 barrel and Sig 9mm conversion kit for $300 instead of a conversion barrel though. It's nice to have options.:D

ShoreShooter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2013
    I have a P229 I expected to bring home three weeks ago. Then two weeks ago. Then one week ago, and now hopefully next week. I'll get back to you later.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    A true kick ass work horse of a combat pistol and accurate. Versatile with the extra barrel.
    Great choice.

Elynchjr23

Jan 7, 2013
    Love the feel of my 229 elite 9mm. Also like the fact that I can use my 18 and 20rnd 226 mags in it! Have had it for a month now, hoping I get out to the range soon to shoot it!!

Mowog

Dec 1, 2012
    Ellicott City, MD
    A357 Barrel may drop right in or may need a slight adjustment. The guide spring and mags are the same for 357sig and 40.

To get to 9mm:
    You can buy a "conversion" barrel to fit your 40/357 slide, but you will need a spring and magazine. Price the dig caliber conversion kit as it includes the slide and matched barrel, spring, magazine, and a case. I think they all have night sites. This is probably not that munch more expensive then sourcing everything out.

Conversion barrel $215
    Spring $10
    Magazine $40
    Total $265

Sig exchange kit $360

OK-I priced out what you need, and the exchange kit is maybe $95 more. This is all non regulated and can be mailed right to your door.

Bob

pilgrim

our newest baby, oh look twins.
    Not sure about getting the .357Sig barrels , but looking at the 9mm Barsto.

twosigp22940sw-.jpg

Trey

Aug 20, 2008
    Silver Spring, MD
    I have a 229 in .40 that I bought a bar-sto 9mm barrel for. I had to have it fitted by a gunsmith, and it has been 100% reliable. You don't need new a recoil spring or magazines, the .40 magazines feed 9mm just fine.

You cannot go from the 9mm slide up to .40, the slide isn't designed to handle .40.

thai

May 8, 2013
    Reliable brick that works in .357 or .40. Take you, r pick. One day maybe it will grow up to be a 1911.

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong, 1911 grows up and aspires to become Sig P229s!

The P229 versatility for drop in barrels from 40s to .357sig or vice versais a great asset. Nothing needed just change barrels and rock on!

I would be leery with trusting my life with going from .40/.357 to 9mm. The gun was never designed for that. The magazine may work, springs may work, but unless I can put 5000 rounds through it without a hiccup, and under harsh useage, I would just consider the 9mm conversion a cheap plinking option.

I got the P229 in a 40 first, the .357 sig was just an after thought when it had just came out in the late nineties. I thought it was just a fad and got it just for fun. After shooting it I ordered a couple thousand rounds of gold dots for it. The P229 now wears the .357 full time a d the .40 is for plinking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Charles of the Manor

Latest threads

Top Bottom