• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Phoenix_1295

Creature of Life and Fire
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 6, 2010
    MD
    I recently purchased a Sig P229 DAK w/ SigLite Night Sights. When I went shooting with it the first time, I was consistently shooting low. I went through my mental checklist of all of the reasons that could be causing this, but none fixed my low POI's. I then fired my S&W .357, aiming in routine fashion of resting the POA on the top of the front sight and I was dead on, so I knew it was not my eyesight.

Then, I was doing some searching on the internet and came across a Sig forum that had some information that was right on the money. The writer mentioned that many folks had found that the Sig P229's and P239's with SigLite Night Sights shoot low when using conventional aiming techniques, however, they are accurate when the POA is immediately inline/covered by the white dot of the front sight, as opposed to the POA being on top of the front sight.

Today, I went to the range and used this bit of information when shooting. Every shot was dead on when my POA was covered by the front sight white dot.

Anyone else have any experience with the P229 with SigLite Night Sights?

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I have 9 years experience with a P229 .357 with those sights. Honestly have zero idea. Use speer gold dots the whole time. The flatest shooting round/pistol at many distances. I Can't be much more help to you. now all of my shooting out to 25 is not slow fire, precision shooting so I may not notice. I have shot other pistols over the years and noticed no difference.
    Maybe it's a double action only issue for you?

Phoenix_1295

MDS Supporter
    Oct 6, 2010
    MD
    Well, I found the answer. The P229 with SigLite Night Sights is set-up for "combat sighting" as opposed to "target sighting". As it was explained to me, "combat sighting" places the POA directly through the front sight dot; while "target sighting" places the POA immediately on top of the front sight (i.e. the front sight being at 6 o'clock to the POA).

After obtaining this bit of information, I'm shooting the P229 dead-on. (Would have been nice if this was stated somewhere in the owner's manual or on the Sig Sauer web site.)

I'll try it this way for a while and decide if I want to keep this set-up or change sights so it has traditional handgun sighting (i.e. "target sighting").

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Eh, I dunno. The 229 is a total combat pistol and not so much a precision target pistol. Glad you found the answer for you.

midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    I had a Blackwater P226 that I sold to a customer you complained it shot very low at 25 yds. He sent it back to Sig, they replaced the sights and it was perfect. He had some other custom work done at the same time, but don't think they charged anything for the sight change. Still has the same style sights, they just changed the elevation of them to correct the poi.

Prz

Feb 28, 2010
    Parkville
    I just bought a P229 40 cal with siglite night sights and shot it for the first time. The first round went through the bulls and then everything went south on the target from there. I tried everything with adjusting my stance and making sure I wasn't dropping my head. I still was still shooting low. My grouping was great, just too low. How do you have the front dot oriented with the rear 2 dots. Are they lined up across or is the front above the rear.

Phoenix_1295

MDS Supporter
    Oct 6, 2010
    MD
    I just bought a P229 40 cal with siglite night sights and shot it for the first time. The first round went through the bulls and then everything went south on the target from there. I tried everything with adjusting my stance and making sure I wasn't dropping my head. I still was still shooting low. My grouping was great, just too low. How do you have the front dot oriented with the rear 2 dots. Are they lined up across or is the front above the rear.

You line up your sights as normal, however, instead of placing your POA on top of the sights, it should be covered by the white dot on the front sight. (The dots should all be level and evenly spaced.)

Prz

Feb 28, 2010
    Parkville
    You line up your sights as normal, however, instead of placing your POA on top of the sights, it should be covered by the white dot on the front sight. (The dots should all be level and evenly spaced.)

I'll give it a try. Thanks Is this a know issue with all Sigs that have the SigLite night sights or just the P229?

PGTMG

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2010
    Thank you for the information good to know. I thought it was me.

Phoenix_1295

MDS Supporter
    Oct 6, 2010
    MD
    I'll give it a try. Thanks Is this a know issue with all Sigs that have the SigLite night sights or just the P229?

Can only go by what I have been told by folks who own them, so I only am aware of the P229 and P239 with Siglite Night Sites. Can't speak for any of the other models. Don't know if it is specific to the weapon or the night sights.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom