• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Broncolou

Jan 22, 2013
    Parkton MD
    Hey AACo..... how did you make out? You probably still hate your doctor right now but it will get better......

I'm feeling better all the time, it's hard not to over-do it...... it feels that good. Less pain than the several weeks before surgery.

AACo

Tiny Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 11, 2015
    Westminster
    Hey Guys,

Just had surgery yesterday. I skipped on the nerve block. Mixed opinions on if that was a good idea. It hurts, but it is manageable. I start PT today, so not looking forward to that. Pain killers are nice though. :drunk:

Thanks again for all of the tips and experiences. It really helped put my mind at ease!

Good to hear you are doing better Broncolou! Now I'm just waiting to start shooting again haha.

Happy Holidays!

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Hey Guys,

Just had surgery yesterday. I skipped on the nerve block. Mixed opinions on if that was a good idea. It hurts, but it is manageable. I start PT today, so not looking forward to that. Pain killers are nice though. :drunk:

Thanks again for all of the tips and experiences. It really helped put my mind at ease!

Good to hear you are doing better Broncolou! Now I'm just waiting to start shooting again haha.

Happy Holidays!

Good luck and a speedy recovery.

Broncolou

Jan 22, 2013
    Parkton MD
    Hey Guys,

Happy Holidays!
    Sounds great you even posted with it being yesterday. I would not have classified the first few days as manageable.... Great to hear you're off to a good start.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Sounds great you even posted with it being yesterday. I would not have classified the first few days as manageable.... Great to hear you're off to a good start.

It was a month before I was allowed to start therapy. I was a hard case, though.

AACo

Tiny Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 11, 2015
    Westminster

You are correct. It has gone from manageable to stabbed in the shoulder.:sad53:Especially after my PT appointment.

I don't know why i started so soon. Just what my Dr ordered. Couldn't even lay flat without my sling.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    You are correct. It has gone from manageable to stabbed in the shoulder.:sad53:Especially after my PT appointment. I don't know why i started so soon. Just what my Dr ordered. Couldn't even lay flat without my sling.
    I started the day after surgery. Wanted to punch my therapist in the face. Starting early is good.

Broncolou

Jan 22, 2013
    Parkton MD
    On the bright side I was not allowed to shovel any snow yet.D Getting better all the time. Still under 1# weight restriction after 2 1/2 months...... I am getting lots of reloading done though.:D

Okletsfish

Ultimate Member
    Sep 15, 2015
    I have both of my rotators done .My right one was done for the second time last March and is still not 100%,but I guess I will have to live with it.My left eye is dominate but I have managed to train myself to shoot right handed which is easier on my right shoulder especially in the standing position.

G29guy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 2, 2016
    DC area
    I shattered my dominant wrist 18mos ago...due to my background and experiences I'm competent w/ weak hand and single handed reloads...I carried on non dominant side and had a clip on blackhawk single mag holder I placed behind the weapon for 1 handed re loads. when my weight restrictions were lifted on my wrist I still couldn't manipulate the glock slide for the 1/4" move to break it down...just had to keep up w/ PT and that was my gauge for where I was progress wise...
    do everything you can to protect your surgical injury while recovering...take pain meds before PT visits and work hard, maybe take an extra half tab and do your exercises @ home hard. thats what I did. be very detailed w/ your surgeon and rehab questions, will normal ROM (range of motion) hurt their work or is it just a weight restriction, etc...pain isn't always bad..."hey doc, i wanna hit this rehab hard...so if i do a lot of these home exercises right now @ home, will i damage your surgical repair?" prob for the 1st couple weeks that will be the case, but usually when they release you to PT theres no range of motion restriction but there is a weight restriction. then like anything else, when time comes to get back to shooting treat it like any other work out regimen, start slow and light if needed then pick it up...if raising a rifle 5x, 5rds ea then slowly work on it until you get to 10x- just like increasing bench press weight

usually shoulder surgeries are soft tissue surgeries (unlike my wrist), they go in and repair them, if the repairs haven't "sutured" themselves yet and you start stretching them then you'll end up loosening the work...like if a woman popped a kid out every 9mos exactly for 6yrs and never gave herself the ability to "retract", where would that be at the end of all that??? good analogy i thought

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom