• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I can't add anything more than what folks have said. Nerve block, pain meds, ice, recliner and DONT RUSH IT. I have had the surgery including a bicep tear. Take your time, let it heal.
    Oh and did I say take the pain meds?

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    First - Good luck with the surgery.

Second - When I broke my neck, then had surgery, the neurosurgeons told me that I MAY never be able to shoot anything that has a good amount of recoil, again.
    (Two discs. One vertabra removed. Wire cage and strap installed in their place.)

It took me FOUR years to get behind a rifle, again.

I can shoot just about anything I want now, but, I'm still 'cautious' when it comes to the thumpers.

The doctor told me, "Shoot what you want. If it hurts. Don't shoot it, any more."

What a PROFOUND statement. Duh! :D

AACo

Tiny Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 11, 2015
    Westminster
    Thanks for all of the tips, info and well wishes guys.

It's nice to hear positive things following surgery, even though it will take time. That is part of the reason I chose this time of year. I am hoping to be back out when it starts warming back up.

It's been a race against time to get more shooting in before the surgery date haha.

gre24ene

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2012
    I had 2 shoulder surgeries within 6 weeks of each other approx 3 years ago. Due to the damage the surgery couldn't be done via arthroscopic, and the Dr. had to open my shoulder all the way to fix the damage. I had the nerve block done for the first surgery and it was brutal. I opted out of the nerve block the second time and I'm glad I did.

The reason I had 2 surgeries so close together is because physical therapy pulled several anchors out the first day when they were "checking my range of motion". Don't let them push you harder than YOU feel comfortable.

It took well over a year before I could lift my shoulder to eye level for an extended period of time without my fingers going numb. So I decided to learn how to shoot with my weak hand.

Good luck with your surgery.

Broncolou

Jan 22, 2013
    Parkton MD
    i just had a cuff repair on my non-dominant shoulder. it was last wed 11/11, i got the nerve block and was taking 3(max) oxy-whatevers just to take the edge off as i came off of it. i cant imagine what it felt like without them down to 1 every 4hrs by 11/15. finally able to crap on the 16th:D i just weened off oxys to 2-200mg ibuprophen every 3-4 hrs. its been some pretty bad pain but bearable. the worst part is i cant get comfortable anywhere and the pain wears you down. my surgery was arthoscopic for a full thickness tear(not sure which part). i have my 1st post op visit on monday and i hope to get more info. i was told they ground something too, i was pretty out of it and my wife didnt remember a whole lot either.no caps is easier with one handed typing. ill update after my post op. tons of people have made it through i'm sure you will too. im not planning on shooting for at least another week and it will only be 223 load workups. i dont think i could handle any serious recoil(even though its on my other shoulder) for a while. pm me if you want to talk

gre24ene

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2012
    There was another fireman who had shoulder surgery the same day I had my 2nd one and he opted to get the nerve block. His recovery was 3x longer than mine, even though his was minor compared to mine due to the nerve block. The nerve block caused long term numbness of his thumb and forefinger. It took months (4-6) before he could use his fingers properly. I believe prolonged numbness is a possibility.

The only way I can explain the nerve block is if you have ever had a limb go numb due to sleeping on it, and once the numbness starts to wear off it burns a little due to the blood flow returning to the limb. Times that by 1,000 and that is the pain I was in. I was literally crying like a 3 year old while the nerve block wore off.

YMMV

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    I had shoulder surgery last year during Thanksgiving week. Had the AC joint ground down and cleaned up and 1/2" cut off the end of my collarbone. In March I fired one shot from my friend's 45-70 and almost cried. In June I fired two shots from my 30-06 and decided that was enough. I recently went squirrel hunting with a 20 gauge and got four with some noticeable tenderness in my shoulder.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    There was another fireman who had shoulder surgery the same day I had my 2nd one and he opted to get the nerve block. His recovery was 3x longer than mine, even though his was minor compared to mine due to the nerve block. The nerve block caused long term numbness of his thumb and forefinger. It took months (4-6) before he could use his fingers properly. I believe prolonged numbness is a possibility.

The only way I can explain the nerve block is if you have ever had a limb go numb due to sleeping on it, and once the numbness starts to wear off it burns a little due to the blood flow returning to the limb. Times that by 1,000 and that is the pain I was in. I was literally crying like a 3 year old while the nerve block wore off.

YMMV

Well my nerve block didn't work and I woke up to a world of hurt. They popped a Percocet down my gullet and shoved me out the door(once my BP stabilized). My other shoulder could use some 'minor' work but, at this point, I think I'll just live with it. Second most painful thing I've experience to this day.

AACo

Tiny Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 11, 2015
    Westminster
    Well, thanks again for all of the info guys. Not feeling as confident, but we will see how it goes! :whoa:. This is on my dominant shoulder.

The only thing I am looking forward to is a little time off work.

Broncolou

Jan 22, 2013
    Parkton MD
    I should have wished you well first, my apologies. Thousands of people have done this before us...... It's a pain in the a$$ and you will be fine. Just a little "suck " to be embraced in the middle..... Godspeed

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Well, thanks again for all of the info guys. Not feeling as confident, but we will see how it goes! :whoa:. This is on my dominant shoulder.

The only thing I am looking forward to is a little time off work.

I should have wished you well. I apologize for that.
    Enjoy the time off, once the drugs wear off, you will realize you just watched 12 straight hours of the view and not care.....:lol2:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    You will be better off having the surgery than not. Give yourself the time YOU need to heal properly and everything will work out fine, I'm sure. Figure on giving yourself a year to get to 'normal' and move on from there. After that, it will be up to you. Good luck, we've all been there.:thumbsup:

gre24ene

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2012
    I slept in a recliner for at least 4 months. It took nearly 2 years for my shoulder to get to about 95%.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I slept in a recliner for at least 4 months. It took nearly 2 years for my shoulder to get to about 95%.
    Not for a labrum repair, I bet. OP, labrum repair has a MUCH shorter recovery than a rotator cuff repair. I know because:

1. I had one
    2. I am a doctor.

gre24ene

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2012
    I had a 100% torn supraspinatus tendon and tore the labrum off the shoulder socket and tore it in half. My first surgery they used 3 bio-absorbable anchors. After the physical therapist pulled the anchors out my second surgery the surgeon put 8 anchors in.

I've never experienced anything close to the amount of pain I was in after surgery.

I would probably get retired medically before I would ever get that surgery done again.

Hope the OP has a better experience.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I had a 100% torn supraspinatus tendon and tore the labrum off the shoulder socket and tore it in half. My first surgery they used 3 bio-absorbable anchors. After the physical therapist pulled the anchors out my second surgery the surgeon put 8 anchors in.

I've never experienced anything close to the amount of pain I was in after surgery.

I would probably get retired medically before I would ever get that surgery done again.

Hope the OP has a better experience.

Yeowch. That is why you slept in a chair. I don't envy you......

gre24ene

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2012
    Yeowch. That is why you slept in a chair. I don't envy you......

As I said in an earlier post, I cried like a 3 year old while the nerve block was wearing off. I wouldn't wish that surgery on anyone.

Well almost anyone:innocent0

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    Just imagine what John McCain and the rest of the pilots went through at the Hanoi Hilton with their arms tied behind their backs and hung from their wrists. And that was when they weren't getting beaten

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom