• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    1/9 is not as big of a deal. It'll shot 55 grain and 62 fine.

It was a suggestion...to act like either are 6920 or a HBAR is going to make a difference to 99% on this forum is silly.

I'm glad you are an operator with your AR.....most arent.

You're right, 1:9 is fine for 55 and 62 grain. But what if he has an odd-hair to see how tight of a group he can achieve at 300 yards with 77gr SMKs?

I'm not an operator, but I will consider that an ad hominem. I'm picky about what I like and what I'll buy. Is that a crime? Isn't that the point of these forums? To spread knowledge and help people make more informed choices? Instead, we're getting regressive. Rather than capitalizing on everything that there is to offer (even within one manufacturer's lineup), we're settling for good enough now? Even when the real deal is the SAME PRICE?

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    You're right, 1:9 is fine for 55 and 62 grain. But what if he has an odd-hair to see how tight of a group he can achieve at 300 yards with 77gr SMKs?

I'm not an operator, but I will consider that an ad hominem. I'm picky about what I like and what I'll buy. Is that a crime? Isn't that the point of these forums? To spread knowledge and help people make more informed choices? Instead, we're getting regressive. Rather than capitalizing on everything that there is to offer (even within one manufacturer's lineup), we're settling for good enough now? Even when the real deal is the SAME PRICE?

Real deal? I had my 6940 and 6920 out of the safe today...none had a happy switch. We dont get the "real deal".

I think we've gone over the pluses and menus of each platform. I'll submit that neither is a bad platform and both are likely to be suitable to 95% of the shooters here.

And if you want to get a hair up your butt to fire 77 grain that's it just a swapped upper away.

I dont own a HBAR...however I think for most they are fine rifles and dont see a problem in recommending them and letting a potential buyer decide what's best for them.

To call one option "stupid" and to trash it just doesnt make sense. Give the guy the option, go over the differenes (which we did) and he can decide.

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick

A nearly unavoidable eventuality for all first time rifle buyers. I stand corrected.

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    A nearly unavoidable eventuality for all first time rifle buyers. I stand corrected.

Thanks for contributing. I'm just going to start posting such wonderful facts as these:

"A single .45ACP round anywhere will knock a bad guy on his ass."

"The humidity of Vietnam caused the bullets to come out of the M16 sideways."

"You don't have to aim with a 12 gauge."

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    Thanks for contributing. I'm just going to start posting such wonderful facts as these:

"A single .45ACP round anywhere will knock a bad guy on his ass."

"The humidity of Vietnam caused the bullets to come out of the M16 sideways."

"You don't have to aim with a 12 gauge."

I have owned an HBAR for more than a decade and it has been a great rifle. I just ordered a AR6721 yesterday as well, as a matter of fact. I am neither 20, nor stupid, and I don't need a disclaimer to indicate how bad-ass I am or how many 10s of thousands of rounds I have put down range in training. Insulting people and then being shocked when they take offense is rather silly. It's not what I would call "contributing".

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    [I]you said the wasnt a target shooter hence no need for an hbar...[/I]I'm not an operator, but I will consider that an ad hominem. I'm picky about what I like and what I'll buy. Is that a crime? Isn't that the point of these forums? To spread knowledge and help people make more informed choices? Instead, we're getting regressive. Rather than capitalizing on everything that there is to offer (even within one manufacturer's lineup), we're settling for good enough now? Even when the real deal is the SAME PRICE?

opinions are important, shouldnt we offer the OP a chance to see all of them just not yours?

i dont know about you, but i like the idea if cash and carry, if i can take advantage of MD laws so be it. BTW i'm way past 20...
    when i shoot or plink with my ar, i usually shoot more than 100 rounds, so i appreciate the fact that it has a heavy barrel to reduce heat induced bullet wander.
    1/9 twist is just about ideal for most commercial and surplus ammo out there.
    just my .02.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Well this turned into an interesting read quickly.

(Attempting to get it back on track)

OP - Colt, BCM, can't go wrong with them. IMO - buy as your budget allows.

The twist rates, that's up to you - if you see yourself stretching it's legs and shooting heavier/longer rounds at extended distance, then opt for the 1:7. If you don't see that type of shooting in your future, 1:9 will serve you well, I had no issue running rounds from 40gr to 75gr TAP rounds thru my 1:9 upper, and it printed well at 100 yards.

Barrel profile - again, that's your choice, if you prefer the cash & carry route, heavy profile's for you, if you don't mind waiting the 7 days, gov't profile is your choice.

Look around, fondle if you can, and make your own decisions. :)

LineofSight

MSI Member, NRA Member
    Oct 4, 2010
    All OVER
    In the case of different twist, do you buyers have multiple AR's for this reason...shoot different grain ammo per AR? Say owning one each of 1/7, 1/8 and 1/9?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Here's a chart that another member posted.

Attachments

• Twist_VS_Grain.jpg
      Twist_VS_Grain.jpg
      26.2 KB · Views: 85

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads