• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mshilto89

Sep 6, 2012
    Aspen Hill, MoCo
    Hey everybody, finally took my wife to the range and she is hooked. Now I have an excuse to get a rifle to pair with my G17. We looked around at a few places and wound up at Bass Pro, although I doubt we'll but from there. We'll probably do Engage Armament (they've been great so far).

Anyways, I digress. I kind of have my heart set on either the Colt Carbine 5.56, but then we wound up looking at the S&w M&P .223. To be honest I don't really know a whole lot about either of them but wanted to get some ideas and recommendations from you guys with more experience.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice guys!

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    Can't really go wrong with a Colt. They have a ton at Engage, and I'm sure they'll be happy to walk you through all of the different models.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    The AR-15 platform is probably the most versatile option out there. You can build any number of weapons on the same basic receiver. Colt is a solid choice. You could also build one from components for less and have it be exactly what you want. Personally I also like the Ruger Mini-14 for a .223 carbine.

Attachments

• NRA Motivational Posters 5.jpg
      NRA Motivational Posters 5.jpg
      82.7 KB · Views: 348

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    My first AR was a Colt. It's a great rifle. Can't go wrong. I also have a bushmaster that is highly customized and has a lot of internal work. I shoot it more because it has a 14" barrel.

brianong18

Nobody
    Jul 11, 2011
    Pasadena, MD
    Hey everybody, finally took my wife to the range and she is hooked. Now I have an excuse to get a rifle to pair with my G17. We looked around at a few places and wound up at Bass Pro, although I doubt we'll but from there. We'll probably do Engage Armament (they've been great so far).

Anyways, I digress. I kind of have my heart set on either the Colt Carbine 5.56, but then we wound up looking at the S&w M&P .223. To be honest I don't really know a whole lot about either of them but wanted to get some ideas and recommendations from you guys with more experience.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice guys!

I'm surprised no one has asked what the use of the rifle is going to be yet. Let us know so the recommendations will be more specific to your needs.

Off topic: Are you Matt?

RW2111

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Industry Partner
    Apr 2, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    Yes as stated above let us know what it will be used for primarily home defense/target shooting/competition shooting or of you are just looking for a all purpose weapon

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    heavy barrel, handy, removable carrying handle, and cash and carry. did i miss something?:cool:

You get a removable carry handle with an LE6920, and that may not even be much of a selling point. The advantages of a heavy barrel profile is lost on most people. I doubt most people here get their round counts up high enough to see stringing with a government profile barrel. Cash and carry only matters if you're 20 or stupid.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    You get a removable carry handle with an LE6920, and that may not even be much of a selling point. The advantages of a heavy barrel profile is lost on most people. I doubt most people here get their round counts up high enough to see stringing with a government profile barrel. Cash and carry only matters if you're 20 or stupid.

I doubt many people are lugging AR's around town all day through the woods or clearing houses where a small profile barrel matters either.

You can also buy it at 18 not 20 like you keep insisting.

There's also plenty of people who like to take their 1,000 dollar + item home the same day...when it's likely to be shot from the bench a few times a year what's the difference?

And the best part about the AR...if you find that that H-bar is just to heavy for you to lug from your truck to the range and fire it from a sand bag you can always get a new upper.

Those ounces off the front of a gun mean little if it's a target plinker like 99% of our AR's are.

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    Cash and carry only matters if you're 20 or stupid.

Cash and carry matters if I can drive 30 mins from my house and buy out of state and save $100 and not have to return to the shop a week later to pick it up. Not to mention, the less the commie state of MD knows about what I have, the better. What is it that is stupid about either of those things? And I'm still waiting to hear an advantage of the standard barrel profile? 1:7 twist availability in some cases I suppose. Other than that?

Edit. If the the answer is it is lighter, I'm 230lbs. 1.1lbs doesn't make a difference to me, if I want to lighten my load twice that I will take a piss.

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    I doubt many people are lugging AR's around town all day through the woods or clearing houses where a small profile barrel matters either.

You can also buy it at 18 not 20 like you keep insisting.

I keep saying 20 as a commentary on the type of people that I usually see asking about HBARs - impatient kids who want something that looks the part. I'm quite familiar with COMAR.

There's also plenty of people who like to take their 1,000 dollar + item home the same day...when it's likely to be shot from the bench a few times a year what's the difference?

And the best part about the AR...if you find that that H-bar is just to heavy for you to lug from your truck to the range and fire it from a sand bag you can always get a new upper.

Those ounces off the front of a gun mean little if it's a target plinker like 99% of our AR's are.

I don't do any shooting from a bench rest. I zero my rifle, and it never gets bagged again. An HBAR is pointless to me. By suggesting an HBAR to the OP, you're more or less presuming that he is either young, or concerned primarily with accuracy shooting (and again, the actual Colt HBAR would be a better choice for that application). I made a point saying that the only advantage that the 6720 has on a 6920 is if you're young. If you don't run hundreds of rounds per session you're unlikely to see any benefit from running an HBAR.

And frankly, the suggestion to purchase the only readily available Colt with a 1:9 barrel twist without fully explaining yourself is fine?

After all, most people on this website run the cheapest possible ammo, shoot a thousand rounds per year, never get training, and then come onto this website to complain about their anecdotal garbage.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    1/9 is not as big of a deal. It'll shot 55 grain and 62 fine.

It was a suggestion...to act like either are 6920 or a HBAR is going to make a difference to 99% on this forum is silly.

I'm glad you are an operator with your AR.....most arent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom