• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

LoneRanger

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 22, 2009
    Just got a couple e-mail notifications for this thread, and honestly, think I am going to have to unsubscribe because reading the e-mail notifications gives me a headache.

I think they speak a different language over in Brooklyn Park.......

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Just got a couple e-mail notifications for this thread, and honestly, think I am going to have to unsubscribe because reading the e-mail notifications gives me a headache.

Attaboy for the effort, though! :thumbsup:

Now take some Tylenol and go lay down in a dark room.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I reiterate my first response-the best answer lies in Post #3.

I agree.

OP - I think the best way for you to get a handle on this is through face to face communication. Not trying to bust your nuts over this, because there are plenty of wonderful people that just struggle with the written language. I know a couple, one of which is the best dad a kid could ever hope for and the best husband a wife could ever hope for. However, he would NEVER be able to properly convey his issue over a chatboard via writing it out. I think that applies to you too. Trying to figure out what you are talking about is mind numbing. However, you might be able to convey everything you need to with a face to face conversation with an attorney.

Not only that, but you really shouldn't be on a public chatboard setting out all kinds of particulars about yourself, especially particulars of this nature.

Alright, just spent an hour on the phone with two different IRS agents, read through some posts on this thread, and now it is time for something that requires very little thought, like mowing the grass, so I can allow the throbbing between the temples to subside.

OP - Good luck to you and remember to support the organizations that support your 2nd Amendment right.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Get a lawyer, honestly.

As well-intentioned as some of us are, we are not lawyers.

I can't keep up with what's been going on
    I think my heart must just be slowing down
    Among the human beings in their designer jeans
    Am I the only one who hears the screams
    And the strangled cries of lawyers in love

GBMaryland

Feb 23, 2008
    MoCo
    In MD owning a handgun legally does not mean its legal to carry it.

I think the new laws even effect expugements too.

Wow... they got expungements to eh?

I got nailed some years ago, got off (not the same case here), and they put in the system that I was convicted. I then had to get THAT corrected, and THEN I had the whole thing expunged.

According to THAT State, they pull the FBI records back, and then they store them locally until you apply for a job as an officer of the court or LE.

I had to hire an attorney to deal with most of this, as I would suggest the OP do as well.

...I had to do that and I was never convicted. PBJ is more or less convicted for all intents and purpose unless you were a minor.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Just for clarification, what is the difference between a PBJ and a case that has been stetted?

PBJ means you have plead Guilty to the crime and the judge has put you on probation before entering the Guilty finding. If you complete the terms of probation, the Guilty finding goes away. If you do not complete the terms of probation (i.e., violate probation), you come back for sentencing. No trial need regarding the actual crime because you have already plead Guilty.

Putting a case on the Stet docket means that you have not plead Guilty, or plead whatsoever. The state has essentially agreed to put the case on hiatus and not pursue it IF you are a good person for the next two years. The state can bring the case again on its own within a year from the Stet, or between a year and two years with permission of the court (not entirely sure about this second part but don't really feel like looking through the MD Rules before I have some coffee).

These are my preferred resolutions to my client's cases, short of going to trial and attempting to get a Not Guilty verdict:

1) nolle prosequi - state drops the charges
    2) stet
    3) PBJ
    4) Guilty with a completely suspended sentence or no jail time whatsoever. The facts have to be stacked against my client for me to even think about agreeing to this without going to trial.

paxfish

Ultimate Member
    Nov 11, 2008
    Culvert & Points West
    a Possible solution to this dilemma...

1851-navy-blackpowder-pistol.jpg

CZ TAIJI

Sep 10, 2014
    brooklyn, md.
    I think my HQL is going to be granted as expected & apoligies

Just for clarification, what is the difference between a PBJ and a case that has been stetted?

just to piggy back on fabsroman post.

1st. both dispositions can be expunged .

I found 2 more comprehensive answer that might help better understand certain details.

http://brucegodfrey.com/what-is-a-stet/

http://www.ccc-law.com/criminal-defense-blog/probation-before-judgment-in-maryland.shtml

----------------------------------------------------------------
    First, sorry for the folks who got lost and couldn't follow my original post. Why am i sorry? Because when people can't understand you they blame you only. they never think maybe it's partly their comprehension that is partly to blame.

Many folks seemed to be confused right off the bat and i apologize if i didn't make it clear enough for everyone, but i tried.

Others simply missed the whole point of my original question & topic.
    This was a devil's advocate type of question first, and foremost. I tried to explain that I didn't know how in depth they went into finding out the details of what showed on a background check.

Based on that reality, the question came to my mind. I didn't even know if i could interject with them/if it was even allowed. I thought maybe someone here who had been around the block in md. gun law might be able to tell me.

Nobody likes to be thought of badly based on a superficial understanding/assumption by those who deal with us. When it comes to legalities that could affect us this is even more so.

I already knew I had no convictions for any crime on my record be it a misdemeanor/felony. This was never a question that needed to be answered or addressed at all. those who chose to do so did so on their own & imho needlessly.

I got a call the other day form the HQL office. turns out that as carefully as i tried to fill out the application I answered 3 questions wrong. I put yes instead of no.

The dude who called basically said he felt i actually made mistakes in answering yes. He said when he went to check on my juvenile records there were none, i said that's because I never got into trouble as a juvenile.

The other check came back as clean too, which showed no convictions of any crimes on my record. That's because there are non I told him once again.
    Lastly the drug abuse ?. He noted the cds charge on my record, and i told him. yes, i had 1/2 a joint, but that was at least 10 years ago. He told me that because it was over 5 yrs. ago that it would not disqualify me. He also said that based on our conversation that he could now finish processing my application.

We spoke more frankly and i even mentioned this site and how you guys were gonna lol at me for 3 wrong answers. I will say that the way I read the ?'s i obviously got confused, just didn't think so at the time though lol.

Thank you to all who took the time to try and help me i appreciate it.

I also promise not to ask anymore questions that are not very simple to figure out. :lol::innocent0:lol2:

CZ TAIJI

Sep 10, 2014
    brooklyn, md.
    Hello, my name is "Ed" and I am addicted to punctuation. ;)

:lol::lol::lol: :lol2::lol2::lol2: :D

now that was funny as hell. thanks

I have started to say a similar phrase when i go to a store of any kind to purchase drinks. I say " hi my name is Tony and I'm a drink- aholic".
    I started doing it because the cashiers would look at me sorta weird because i would by a large amt. of various beverages. nonalcoholic btw.:innocent0

when are you going to ship me that gift. you need my info though. since it's an old gun it actually makes it easier ti have. It sho is purdy i must admit.
    Frankly, even though i say jokes about shooting myself in the head based on various topics I don't trust shooting myself in the head. something might go wrong and then i'd really be screwed lol.

Ii like the idea of poison, maybe like those jelly fish that were used in the movie 7 Pound. I really liked that movie, I admit the character reminded me of myself in so many ways.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kh3iNhyxSsI

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    just to piggy back on fabsroman post.

1st. both dispositions can be expunged .

I found 2 more comprehensive answer that might help better understand certain details.

http://brucegodfrey.com/what-is-a-stet/

http://www.ccc-law.com/criminal-defense-blog/probation-before-judgment-in-maryland.shtml

----------------------------------------------------------------
    First, sorry for the folks who got lost and couldn't follow my original post. Why am i sorry? Because when people can't understand you they blame you only. they never think maybe it's partly their comprehension that is partly to blame.

Many folks seemed to be confused right off the bat and i apologize if i didn't make it clear enough for everyone, but i tried.

Others simply missed the whole point of my original question & topic.
    This was a devil's advocate type of question first, and foremost. I tried to explain that I didn't know how in depth they went into finding out the details of what showed on a background check.

Based on that reality, the question came to my mind. I didn't even know if i could interject with them/if it was even allowed. I thought maybe someone here who had been around the block in md. gun law might be able to tell me.

Nobody likes to be thought of badly based on a superficial understanding/assumption by those who deal with us. When it comes to legalities that could affect us this is even more so.

I already knew I had no convictions for any crime on my record be it a misdemeanor/felony. This was never a question that needed to be answered or addressed at all. those who chose to do so did so on their own & imho needlessly.

I got a call the other day form the HQL office. turns out that as carefully as i tried to fill out the application I answered 3 questions wrong. I put yes instead of no.

The dude who called basically said he felt i actually made mistakes in answering yes. He said when he went to check on my juvenile records there were none, i said that's because I never got into trouble as a juvenile.

The other check came back as clean too, which showed no convictions of any crimes on my record. That's because there are non I told him once again.
    Lastly the drug abuse ?. He noted the cds charge on my record, and i told him. yes, i had 1/2 a joint, but that was at least 10 years ago. He told me that because it was over 5 yrs. ago that it would not disqualify me. He also said that based on our conversation that he could now finish processing my application.

We spoke more frankly and i even mentioned this site and how you guys were gonna lol at me for 3 wrong answers. I will say that the way I read the ?'s i obviously got confused, just didn't think so at the time though lol.

Thank you to all who took the time to try and help me i appreciate it.

I also promise not to ask anymore questions that are not very simple to figure out. :lol::innocent0:lol2:

At least that was easy to make sense of.

How you answered 3 question incorrectly is beyond me. Read slowly, and when in doubt, read it again.

Congratulations on the HQL.

LoneRanger

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 22, 2009
    :lol::lol::lol: :lol2::lol2::lol2: :D

now that was funny as hell. thanks

I have started to say a similar phrase when i go to a store of any kind to purchase drinks. I say " hi my name is Tony and I'm a drink- aholic".
    I started doing it because the cashiers would look at me sorta weird because i would by a large amt. of various beverages. nonalcoholic btw.:innocent0

when are you going to ship me that gift. you need my info though. since it's an old gun it actually makes it easier ti have. It sho is purdy i must admit.
    Frankly, even though i say jokes about shooting myself in the head based on various topics I don't trust shooting myself in the head. something might go wrong and then i'd really be screwed lol.

Ii like the idea of poison, maybe like those jelly fish that were used in the movie 7 Pound. I really liked that movie, I admit the character reminded me of myself in so many ways.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kh3iNhyxSsI

I'm pretty sure you missed the entire point of that picture....hint- that might just be a brand new gun..........

CZ TAIJI

Sep 10, 2014
    brooklyn, md.
    At least that was easy to make sense of.

How you answered 3 question incorrectly is beyond me. Read slowly, and when in doubt, read it again.

Congratulations on the HQL.

when i said i was careful i wasn't joking and i did read slowly and then again... that didn't work out as expected though. I doubt if i tell anyone in my family because they will think I'm trying to pull one of my infamous oop's on them.

Dude how do u think i felt when he told me. the 1st. one was bad enough. then when he mentioned the second one i was like holy shit are u kidding me or something that means the same lol. the 3rd one was the brain buster.
    Dude if you had heard our conversation you would still be laughing trust me.

i have always done well academically, outside of school folks often think I'm a freaking teacher/college professor, have gone to college/university etc. etc.
    I tell them I do teach, but not a standard subject. They are surprised when i tell them i teach Taijiquan...

Yet, my once vaunted and highly functioning mind has glitches now. Those glitches are considered to be quite normal in our society, but they are not something that were a part of my life before. I'm still getting used to being
    " normal " in that way

As for the HQL i have not gotten that Priceless letter yet. I just relayed what he said without assuming anything when he said it to me.

@ LONERANGER

" I'm pretty sure you missed the entire point of that picture....hint- that might just be a brand new gun."

No, i got ur point dude it was not rocket science. I just chose to neutralize your sarcastic/funny suggestion. If that's a new gun then keep it, i don't want to pay my ffl for a new gun of that style lol.

Oh yeah, i liked Tonto's horse better than yours !

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom