• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chaim

Aug 10, 2008
    Columbia
    July got extremely busy with grad school (with only 3 classes to go to get my masters I got my worst grade yet, a B+), early Aug was busy since I moved (Piney Orchard/Odenton), and then summer was over and I went back to work (the first weeks to a month of school can be crazy for teachers, and this year I have a number of new duties, since the kids have been back I have put in 50-60 hour work weeks every week, plus I have my two grad school courses). So, I haven't yet made my purchase (I have only visited a gun store once since my post). Anyway, here is where I currently stand:

-Forget the CCW revolvers. I had actually forgotten that I still had my Rossi 461 (I thought it was one of the guns I sold over the past 2 years), but I found it in its box on the bottom of a pile of gun stuff in one of my safes when I moved. So, I have a 24oz, 6 shot, 2" J-frame sized .357mag which will be a good IWB/belt carry CCW revolver. It isn't a 7 shot revolver like some on my list, but 6 shots of .357mag (or more often, .38+P or +P+) is nothing to sneeze at, and it does have 20% more capacity than my 5-shot 442 and 85CH. I just need to get to the range with it a bit more often.

-I still have the SIG 239 (probably in .40S&W) and the SIG 290 on my list.

-I am a fan of the S&W M&P and it has been on my list since it came out. The Shield looks like it would be terrific for this purchase. It is high on my list, I am not sure if I'll go .40S&W or 9mm, I am a big fan of both, but I'll probably go with the .40S&W (almost definitely the .40 if I get a M&P larger than the Shield, and I'm about 50/50 if I go with the Shield).

-I have considered a Glock 26 or 27 off and on for years and I may finally go for it.

-The 9mm EMP is still very high on my list. It may be a tad too big and heavy to pocket however, and a pocketable 9mm would be nice (many of the guns on my list above have the same issue).

-Definitely still have the Kahr CW9 and PM9 still on my list.

Chaim

Aug 10, 2008
    Columbia
    Responses to some posts above:

-The training posts:

I have already taken a number of local training classes over the years. After I finish my masters degree I want to go to one of the firearms training academies for some classes. I'll probably do either the SIG Arms Academy or the S&W Academy since I like New England, and probably SIGArms so I have an excuse to get to NH (I love northern New England).

Al's Snackbar said:
    Sig P238. Same battery of arms as a 1911. WHY YOU NO LOVE .380???

When I got my LCP I considered the P238. I like SIG, I love 1911s, and I was at the time looking for a small .380. I decided upon the LCP because it was smaller and better as a pocket gun. I once had a Bersa Thunder .380, which is a small IWB/belt carry pistol, but too big for a pocket. Currently, there's a pretty large crop of small 9mm's that are in this size range, many priced pretty reasonably, and I just feel more comfortable with a larger caliber. To me, .380 is the minimum, and I prefer it in small pocket sized pistols. When I go larger, I want a larger caliber.

I would either get a Sig, Glock, Ruger, Taurus, Walther, Springfield, CZ, S&W, Kimber, Beretta, Colt, Khar or Keltec. In either .380, 9mm, .40, Sig 357, 357 magnum, 10mm or .45. Revolver or semi auto with DA only, single action or DA/SA triggers.

:)

Yeah, that is my problem...I love them all (with the exception of the Glocks and Rugers which I'm only lukewarm on, though both have guns which are good enough to keep them perpetually on my gun purchase lists).

Tim460 said:
    If you enjoy shooting alot and dont already own a pistol in .22 I`d recommend picking one up. Ammo is so cheap you can increase your range time a ton.
    I will buy another .22 soon, but that is another purchase. It isn't highest on my priorities because: 1) I don't shoot as often as I used to in general so it isn't prohibitively expensive to shoot other calibers (while it isn't cheap, it isn't really a limiting factor on how often or how much I shoot); 2) I simply prefer stronger calibers so even when I have more time to shoot I don't shoot very much .22 in comparison to other calibers (I don't shoot my .22 rifle much, and sold 2 of my 3 since I don't shoot them that often, and I sold my Ruger MkII a couple years ago partially because I rarely shot it).

Vincent said:
    I like my Bersa 9mm UC. 13 and 1 da/sa. take a look at it. Also CZ75.
    I have a 9mm CZ 75B, I've had it for around 10 years now (give or take a year). I like it a lot, but not enough to buy a second one right now. There is a chance that when/if I decide to add a service sized .40S&W I may get a CZ 75B in .40, though I do prefer smaller .40's and my future full-sized .40 is probably a SIG. Bersas are good guns and great values, but they don't really do it for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JonWayneCampbell

Latest threads

Top Bottom