• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chaim

Aug 10, 2008
    Columbia
    It is time to buy another handgun. There are a number of categories I have in mind (another small CCW pistol, a compact CCW pistol, a service .40S&W, a full-sized 1911, a 6" .357mag, a .22lr pistol or revolver, and a couple others). Some time ago, I let my FL CCW license expire. I finally took the training and did the packet for the Utah FFL (thanks Genesis Firearms). Thus, to celebrate, I'm leaning towards the CCW (plus another in a year or so when MD is forced by the courts to be shall-issue). I have a Ruger LCP and I'm fine on J-frame revolvers, so I'll be looking more at compact pistols or small 9mm's.

Due to time-constraints (work, grad school, and spending every free moment I can on my motorcycle) I have not been keeping up with the gun market and gun forums like I used to. So, I'm looking for feedback:

-I'd love a small, pocketable 9mm. When I need something even smaller I have the LCP, but a small 9mm that would fit in a pocket would be nice. It should also completely disappear IWB and be quite comfortable that way.

I've always loved the Kahr PM9, but the price has held me back. Maybe I should just bite the bullet (pun intended, go ahead, groan :innocent0 ) and get the PM9, though the CW9 is about the same size but is a lot less money. However, since I first noticed the PM9, many more small 9mm's have been released. A Kel-tec PF9 would be very small and light, and save a lot of money. The Taurus 709 or Ruger LC9 could also be interesting options that would save a lot of money (and probably be more reliable than the Kel-tec).

In other small 9mm's, I'm especially interested in a few from SIG. The P250 is interesting with its modular design, the subcompact should be just pocketable and I can also get a compact "frame" for when that would be more appropriate. The even smaller P290 looks pretty interesting too.

-In compact pistols I'm thinking a few totally different options.
    I really like SIG and miss my 229. A SIG 229 could be classified as either a compact or a service pistol, and is about the max size for reasonable CCW though. A 239 might be an interesting option that would be reasonable for concealment, fun and comfortable at the range, and SIG quality.

I love 1911s. My 4" S&W 1911SC has been flawless, though I understand 1911's can be problematic in the 3" size (of course, I have other options until I am sure I can trust it). My S&W does work IWB, but I spend a lot more time in PA and VA than I used to and suspect that with more regular CCW a shorter barrel might be nice. Of course, moving my current 4" to a belt holster should help, but I do like IWB so a more IWB friendly 1911 would be nice. I'm thinking either a .45ACP Kimber Ultra Carry II, or a 9mm or .40S&W Springfield EMP (probably the 9mm since it is 6-7oz lighter than the .40).

I also love revolvers, and Taurus has some interesting options that are similar in concept to the compact pistols (not quite a sub-compact or service pistol in size). The 617 is a 2", 7 shot .357mag that weighs less than 29oz that I've long been interested in. The 817 is a similar concept, but it is a 7 shot aluminum .38spl that only weighs 21oz (that would be nearly unnoticeable IWB or on a belt holster). The 856 is very interesting, a small frame (basically J-frame sized) revolver that they squeezed 6 rounds into instead of the traditional 5. Out of these, I'd probably go more for the 617 or 817, though I'd be concerned about how hard it might be to find a holster.

So, since I haven't been as in touch with the gun market as I used to be, am I leaving anything out that I should look at? Anyone have feedback on what I'm considering?

Chaim

Aug 10, 2008
    Columbia
    Oh, a few more details in case they might effect your suggestions:

When I used to carry out of state and when I carry at home my current guns which got/get the most holster time are: a S&W 1911SC (love it), a Taurus PT140 Millennium Pro (love it), S&W 442 (pocket), Taurus 85CH (IWB) and my S&W 65LS (though substantially less than the others due to its size and weight). I suspect my LCP will get a lot of holster time (that thing is light- I forget it is there, which being in MD can actually be dangerous), but I need more range time with it to really trust it (I've had it a year, but I don't take it much when I go to the range- I really need to buy more .380 ammo). I prefer IWB and pocket carry, though as I get older I am more open to belt carry.

Back when I had a CCW permit, I didn't spend as much time in VA or PA as I'd like. Now, I am there a lot more than I used to be (quite a bit during the summer and other time off from work especially), I am camping a lot more again (mostly in PA and WV), and I have family in MN, all places where the UT CCW is valid. So, I will be carrying a lot more than I used to. When I carry around the apartment I do find myself most often opting for pocket carry with a J-frame (though part of that has to do with MD specific issues- it is easier to remove the gun whenever I am leaving my home, while if I could carry outside I might find a gun IWB or on my belt more convenient). I do wonder if some options I used to like to use may seem cumbersome when there more often or for several days in a row (I doubt I'd carry my K-frame S&W 65LS very often, even with its 3" barrel).

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    With the 442 and LCP, you've got two great all-year-round CCWs already. Instead of buying something else, since you already have an excellent collection, maybe use the money for ammo to practice with what you have. If your 442 still has the factory rubber grips, you can make the gun thinner, more practical, and more pleasant to shoot with Crimson Trace LG-405 laser grips. For a pocketable 9mm, the Kahr CM9 is tough to beat.

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    FYI on the Taurus 617, it has been discontinued (which the store I found my used one at didn't know yet). The website MSRP for new ones jumped $150 in the past month. Only shot mine once so far, but it is very comfortable and didn't recoil as much as I thought it would. The only issue is finding holsters for it since most companies seem to be concentrating on Glock and 1911 holsters. I did grab a cheap IWB at bass pro and it works around the farm, but I'm hoping to be able to find one that feels more secure for when we can get our carry permits.

BeRight

Jul 19, 2012
    Sorry to say but you may have a long wait, if ever for gun carry in MD.

I hope next year is the year - but I don't know-no one knows.

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    By this time next year, I think all of us will be proudly talking about our newly acquired carry permits after spending boatloads of money on application fees and a overpriced training program that doesn't come close to providing what it should.

BeRight

Jul 19, 2012
    By this time next year, I think all of us will be proudly talking about our newly acquired carry permits after spending boatloads of money on application fees and a overpriced training program that doesn't come close to providing what it should.

I agree with training program may not come close to what is needed. It is somewhat a scary thought that less than fully rational, competent and experienced people will be carrying handguns in MD.

The training I got in the military was good but incomplete for vietnam. Unfortunately, not a good example- survival was not dependent on training but luck - 2 weeks of training and quick on the job training increases ones luck but not by much in that particular war.

Additional training for me, was and is needed frequently for civilian carry.

TV makes shooting someone-maybe killing them- to some exciting and no big deal-but it is a big deal and not everyone is capable of shooting a person and will hesitate to long or miss by a mile.

Then your nightmare begins: dealing with the aftermath - even if it means saving your own life.

Lots of monday morning quarterbacking from police, district attorney and the inevitable separate civil suit (my son was a good boy, never in trouble, great student,etc).

Sorry - it is late I need to go to bed. I just hope everyone does there best, to be the best if and when MD ever allows carry.

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    Don't want to keep derailing the thread so I'll just say I agree with what you say and I plan to do a lot more then MD would ever require as far as training and range time. Its unfortunate that a lot of people in my generation are too stupid to think like that though.

Leeann

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2011
    Edgewater
    I'd drop the P250 from your list. The trigger's horrible and can't be improved. I own a compact 9mm and will be selling it soon.

My Sig SP2022 is a soooooo much better gun...

Friend's son has an M&P compact for off-duty use. That or the Shield would be perfect.

Al's Snackbar

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sig P238. Same battery of arms as a 1911. WHY YOU NO LOVE .380???

600_CCAS_P238_Ambi_Safety.jpg

CPat45

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 9, 2012
    the kimber and the other 1911(too lazy to scroll up) u mention cost more than the kahr so whats the problem with biting the bullet? the only real problem you have is wanting a 9 instead of a pocket 45 :innocent0 g30/g36 or the kahr in 45 seem like your only option.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I would either get a Sig, Glock, Ruger, Taurus, Walther, Springfield, CZ, S&W, Kimber, Beretta, Colt, Khar or Keltec. In either .380, 9mm, .40, Sig 357, 357 magnum, 10mm or .45. Revolver or semi auto with DA only, single action or DA/SA triggers.

:)

Robert Avery

Sep 1, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I personally went with the Kahr CW45. I wanted as much stopping power as possible in a controllable package and the Kahr fits the Bill! Dead accurate and cheap enough that I don't have to worry if it is ever confiscated by the POLICE in the event that I have to use it as they don't really care about the gun and you maybe lucky to get it back without to much damage.

The other thing I like about my Kahr is that it eats about any ammo I feed it and I have tuned it to feed 230 gr Federal Hollow points and it has not jammed on me while practicing.

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    I personally went with the Kahr CW45. I wanted as much stopping power as possible in a controllable package and the Kahr fits the Bill! Dead accurate and cheap enough that I don't have to worry if it is ever confiscated by the POLICE in the event that I have to use it as they don't really care about the gun and you maybe lucky to get it back without to much damage.

The other thing I like about my Kahr is that it eats about any ammo I feed it and I have tuned it to feed 230 gr Federal Hollow points and it has not jammed on me while practicing.

How is the recoil compared to a commander 1911 alloy?

That's what I have, and it's fairly snappy.

Robert Avery

Sep 1, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    It's not to snappy because it has a full length grip or close which gives you more to hold on to than a CW9. The grip is 3 1/4" long on the Back strap and is well stippled or diamond grooved.

Tim460

May 22, 2010
    Baltimore Co.
    If you enjoy shooting alot and dont already own a pistol in .22 I`d recommend picking one up. Ammo is so cheap you can increase your range time a ton.

cjnolen

Registered Coonass
    Apr 9, 2012
    Silver Spring, MD
    I test drove the P238 last night, and was surprised at how nice it was. If you want 9mm, the S&W Shield is the new popular kid on the block if you can find one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JonWayneCampbell

Latest threads

Top Bottom