• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • abiebaby

Mar 24, 2013
    Just to clarify: when I'm referring to the sights, I'm not saying they're misaligned,im just saying that because they are 3 dot sights of the same color they are blurring into each other when I try to shoot with both eyes open. I ended up ordering some fiber/tritium sights; hopefully the contrast of the front sight to the back helps me.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Defense Initiative

Aug 2, 2023
    Maryland
    Just to clarify: when I'm referring to the sights, I'm not saying they're misaligned,im just saying that because they are 3 dot sights of the same color they are blurring into each other when I try to shoot with both eyes open. I ended up ordering some fiber/tritium sights; hopefully the contrast of the front sight to the back helps me.

Doesn't your Walther PPS have factory installed night sights?

abiebaby

Mar 24, 2013
    Doesn't your Walther PPS have factory installed night sights?
    Luminous sights, but all the same color. Maybe it'sy astigmatism, but I find it very hard to focus on the front sight with both eyes open. Hoping that a different color front sight will help.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore

My Walther lost one of the rear sight dots and I removed the other one.
    I started shooting with just the front dot and found I shot it a little better this way.
    Replaced a few sights on other pistols for bold front and black rear. More to my liking.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie

Unless you are going for dime sized groups, the type of sights at 7-10 yards isn't the issue.

Worsley

I apologize for hurting your feelings!
    Jan 5, 2022
    Westminster
    I purchased my first pistol May of 2010 and I then spent a small fortune getting trained by an now retired FBI firearms instructor friend of mine. I am confident that this is the best money I ever spent in pursuit of being 1) a responsible gun owner and, 2) an effective homestead defender. The concepts I learned from him were far superior to those I learned while on active duty. From basic reloading, shooting, and marksman drills, to house clearing, use of lethal force, and simulated stress environments, I could not be happier.

Defense Initiative

Aug 2, 2023
    Maryland
    Luminous sights, but all the same color. Maybe it'sy astigmatism, but I find it very hard to focus on the front sight with both eyes open. Hoping that a different color front sight will help.

I don't think the sights are the problem. How can you focus on the front sight of the Steyr and not the Walther?

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    If that's the group size at 7 yards with a Walther, it's for sure not the guns fault. My experience with walthers has shown them to be exceptionally accurate. My p99 came with a 25m test target with a 1" group on it, and I've verified it to be at least that capable multiple times.

Small guns are just more difficult to shoot. Any error in input is magnified. The sight radius being shorter means a slight difference in sight alignment gets exaggerated on the target, relative to a gun with a longer sight radius. With it not filling your grip as much, it's easier to allow your trigger press to influence the gun. With it recoiling sharper, it's more natural to develop a flinch with them.

Like blaster said, go slow. Press the trigger straight to the rear and keep tension in your pinky/ring fingers. Toss some snap caps in randomly as you load mags and be sure to follow through on the sights after each shot. Watch where the front sight moves when you click on a snap cap.

abiebaby

Mar 24, 2013
    So I went to the range again today. Took it nice and slow, and utilized some of the tips everyone gave on here. Definitely an improvement. Was able to shoot around 6 inch groups at 10 yards. Obviously need to practice the fundamentals more, but definitely an improvement.

gizzard

Oct 30, 2012
    hagerstown
    try point shooting, no sights, aim/point to left a few inches for a 9 yard shot ,if you are right handed, all while moving as if in a distressed situation. No stopping, no deliberate aim, to train for defensive shooting.
    Buy snap caps to practice trigger control, a wooden dowell in the barrel, will show your pull to right or left, as will a laser. The dowel is less distracting than a laser, and will train you not to sweep unintended targets with your muzzle. I train kids with the dowel in an airsoft gun, as well as adult newbs..
    Both guns you mention are supposed to have decent triggers.
    I have no experience with Mantis X.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    try point shooting, no sights, aim/point to left a few inches for a 9 yard shot ,if you are right handed, all while moving as if in a distressed situation. No stopping, no deliberate aim, to train for defensive shooting.
    Buy snap caps to practice trigger control, a wooden dowell in the barrel, will show your pull to right or left, as will a laser. The dowel is less distracting than a laser, and will train you not to sweep unintended targets with your muzzle. I train kids with the dowel in an airsoft gun, as well as adult newbs..
    Both guns you mention are supposed to have decent triggers.
    I have no experience with Mantis X.
    If your trigger press is pushing or pulling the pistol, then your grips SUCKS. It all comes down to grip and front sight. The trigger finger shouldn't be bullying your strong 2 handed grip. We work on trigger control for the timing of follow up shots resetting the sight picture at the same time resetting the trigger.
    Never intentionally try to aim off center when the whole point is to try to hit center.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Not all sights are created equal. I don't know about your brands, but some sights are Combat hold, Center hold, or 6 o'clock hold.
    View attachment 447586
    This is the sight picture for the trapezoidal sights on a Steyr. A little weird at first but very intuitive.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240115_191733_Google.jpg
      Screenshot_20240115_191733_Google.jpg
      22.2 KB · Views: 17

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I don't think the sights are the problem. How can you focus on the front sight of the Steyr and not the Walther?

Contrast of front sight , for quick visual pickup is a long standing thing .

Red Ramps were the hot ticket in the '70s . Gold and Ivory beads go back at least to 1800s .

( No , this isn't the only thing going on with the OP . )

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom