Shipping firearms to a gunsmith with FedEX and UPS changed rules?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Last week, shipped a handgun from Crofton post office to FFL in Pa. Easy peasey

Yes, the clerk knew it was a handgun, she looked in the package & then taped it up for me.

I am not a FFL and or dealer, just selling a handgun to my PA cuz

Forgot to add: she never verified the FFL address to the shipping address.
    What you and the clerk did was against USPS rules. It happens, but it's not a thing for others to repeat...

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Last week, shipped a handgun from Crofton post office to FFL in Pa. Easy peasey

Yes, the clerk knew it was a handgun, she looked in the package & then taped it up for me.

I am not a FFL and or dealer, just selling a handgun to my PA cuz

Forgot to add: she never verified the FFL address to the shipping address.
    Damn, Daddy's got balls!

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    What you and the clerk did was against USPS rules. It happens, but it's not a thing for others to repeat...

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk
    I stopped in the day before and talked to her, she even gave me one of the boxes & a label. She said they frequently ship handguns.

Instructed me to put a copy of the FFL license in the Glock case and one in the box.

Following day, went back to her and as stated easy peasey

Last edited:

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I stopped in the day before and talked to her, she even gave me one of the boxes & a label. She said they frequently ship handguns.

Instructed me to put a copy of the FFL license in the Glock case and one in the box.

Following day, went back to her and as stated easy peasey
    It's against USPS rules and policy. She has no idea what she's talking about.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    This is pretty much what people do these days. Either the FFL/gunsmith you're shipping to provides the label, or you have to use your FFL or shipmygun or something similar. Heck, one time the small manufacturer provided me the label to ship from my FFL, which was all sorts of fun.

It's stupid, but it is the shape of things right now. Even rougher on folks who are moving - used to be that mailing yourself your guns was the fastest/cheapest way of handling that problem, and now you're SOL.
    I can imagine many an MDS member rolling into a Fedex store with 46 packages.

"Hi, I need to declare that there is a firearm in the package"
    "which one?"
    "all of them"

If I end up with a cross country move like I am thinking/hoping for at or around retirement, it is going to be a major PITA. No way I am sending my stuff with a moving/shipping company, even if their policies would allow it. Probably there are going to be at least one, or more likely two cross country trips by road. There is enough other stuff I don't think I'd want a shipper/mover to handle either. Some stuff like buckets of range brass I'd have no serious concerns about being shipped by the movers. My guns, powder, primers, loaded ammo, nope. At least the upside is my collection is small enough I could easily fit it in a minivan undercover. Probably I wouldn't exceed the payload capacity either.

But my thinking is one trip driving a personal vehicle back along with a rented small uhaul truck for some of the stuff I wouldn't want movers to take, like TVs, computers, probably a lot of the gun stuff, some of the more breakable stuff we have like dishes, liquor, maybe tools.

Have movers ship the heavy stuff that matters less like furniture, boxes of books, clothes, etc.

Then make a final trip when we close everything out in whatever personal vehicle(s) we have left with the balance of my guns and some of the last few things. If it works out like I am hoping, we will have a place for months, or even a year or three before we finally "move out west". I'd certainly try to liquidate as much stuff as possible rather than moving it. But that mostly applies to things like furniture and stuff. Not my guns.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    My recent pistol round trip to Ruger was utterly painless. They of course are an FFL. They emailed me a PDF FedEx label, and provided a list of my local FedEx offices/proxies that accept hazmat-ish things (including firearms). Walked in, back out in under a minute. Later that week, the serviced pistol was at my front porch with the FedEx driver asking for a signature, easy peasey.

I can't imagine that CGW isn't an FFL - that doesn't sound plausible, does it? If they are, they can handle the whole thing exactly like Ruger (and so many others) do. Yes, if there's no appropriate FedEx office nearby, that's kind of a nuisance, I get it.

Enfield303

Feb 12, 2011
    Harford County
    I shipped a pistol back to Taurus (no jokes please) through Postal Solutions in the Rock Spring Shopping Center. No problems, no questions asked. Give them a try.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    I was going to send a pistol off to a very high-end restoration shop in NY.

They way they work is they sell you a pre-paid UPS shipping label.

I didn't understand it so I called. They said technically they were shipping the gun from themselves to themselves via the shipping label and that met the FFL requirement......she went on to say, don't volunteer any additional information when you drop it off. Have it boxes up exactly per their directions. Affix the label exactly per their directions. Take it to the UPS store, they will scan it and high tail it out of there.

Seriously....lol

At the end of the day, I decided not to have the gun restored so I never tried it.

pleasant1911

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    I shipped a pistol back to Taurus (no jokes please) through Postal Solutions in the Rock Spring Shopping Center. No problems, no questions asked. Give them a try.

Is shipping to the manufacturer different than shipping to a private gunsmith?

R1Peacock

Jan 8, 2013
    Carroll County, MD
    What about shipping stripped lowers and uppers. I wanted to send 2 sets of uppers and lowers to get refinished to US Anodizing in VA. Whats the rules on shipping those items. Their website says nothing about using a dealer.

Headedthere

Jan 3, 2023
    Howard
    The part with the serial number on it (the lower in this case) is the firearm. All other things are parts or chunks of metal and plastic, and can be shipped anyway you wish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom