Shipping firearms to a gunsmith with FedEX and UPS changed rules?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    I want to ship a handgun to Cajun Gunworks in Louisiana to have some work done. It used to be easy. I would pack it up and take it to FedEX, pay my shipping fee and off she'd go. Not so anymore. Fed-Ex and UPS will no longer ship firearms for individuals, only FFLs. I've asked around at a few gun stores and they don't want to be bothered with it. So, how the heck do you ship a firearm now?

Swaim13

Jun 11, 2017
    You would need to find a FFL willing to do the transfer and shipping. I am wondering if that's a change that went into effect on January 1 as I shipped my rifle a few months ago.

I think 2A sales and Tyler's would ship but you would need to ask.

Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    Thinking about it. That would be an expensive proposition. I would not only have to pay for the shipping, but also the transfer fees.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Thinking about it. That would be an expensive proposition. I would not only have to pay for the shipping, but also the transfer fees.
    No transfer fees. He is shipping to a gunsmith to have work done. But still a PIA.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I have a C&R. I know it's a FFL, but I wonder if it counts when shipping regulated modern
    firearms.
    Do they specify the FFL type? A C&R is a bonafide FFL issued by uncle sugar. You are licensed. I really don't know what their policies are. I am spitballing here.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    I have a C&R. I know it's a FFL, but I wonder if it counts when shipping regulated modern
    firearms.
    yes, according to the shippers web sites. The bigger hurdle is signing their firearms shipping agreement.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Well crap...

Fedex:
    Only customers holding a Federal Firearms License (FFL) and federal, state, or local government agencies may ship firearms with FedEx. Customers holding an FFL must enter into an approved FedEx Firearms Shipping Compliance Agreement before shipping any firearms with FedEx. Also, you must be an approved firearm shipper with a signed contract on file with FedEx. For more information, contact your FedEx account executive.

UPS:
    UPS accepts packages containing Firearm Products for shipment only as a contractual service and only from Shippers who are licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, or licensed collectors (as defined in Title 18, Chapter 44 of the United States Code) to authorized recipients, as outlined in the approved UPS agreement for the transportation of Firearm Products.

Looks like you can as an 03, but you need some type of account/agreement or something as stated.

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    Non-dealers cannot ship by USPS. A C&R FFL is not a dealer.

Ruger service generates the label for returns. They're shipping the gun, not me.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    you can ask cajun, but i 'think' if they send you a label, you can ship via ups or fedex.
    This is pretty much what people do these days. Either the FFL/gunsmith you're shipping to provides the label, or you have to use your FFL or shipmygun or something similar. Heck, one time the small manufacturer provided me the label to ship from my FFL, which was all sorts of fun.

It's stupid, but it is the shape of things right now. Even rougher on folks who are moving - used to be that mailing yourself your guns was the fastest/cheapest way of handling that problem, and now you're SOL.

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    Since when? I know you used to be able to.
    This is a good article with links to the shipper's website.

I think it was 2020 they changed the rules.
    Furthermore, many gun companies aren't aware of the changes or haven't amended their instructions for shipping a gun to them.

Also a good reason to try and find a reliable FFL agent for your transfers. Someone personable and professional that you can strike up a friendly relationship with, who is willing to ship a handgun for you.

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    yeah non-ffl's cannot ship handguns via usps, only long guns.
    Last week, shipped a handgun from Crofton post office to FFL in Pa. Easy peasey

Yes, the clerk knew it was a handgun, she looked in the package & then taped it up for me.

I am not a FFL and or dealer, just selling a handgun to my PA cuz

Forgot to add: she never verified the FFL address to the shipping address.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom