• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    00 Buck as said. I prefer the "low recoil" loads for HD duty.

Agreed. I ran a bunch of royal rio low recoil 00buck thru my versamax and it was smooth as butter.

OP- I have extra if you're close and want to try some. I had some for sale at one point too I think.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    Answer depends on your specific situation, including looking at: longest shot distance within your home; any other occupants in the home; if so, what is the interior wall construction within your home; is it a single family detached home/townhouse/apartment; if multi-family dwelling, what is the wall construction between units; if a detached dwelling, what is the exterior wall construction and distance to neighbors' homes.

Each different combination of answers to these and other questions will suggest a range of SD choices anywhere from OO buck to possibly even bird shot. In MY situation, #4 buck is my choice. Threat under eight yards, frame construction with neighbors close to me, etc.

Fishguy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2009
    Montgomery County
    Answer depends on your specific situation, including looking at: longest shot distance within your home; any other occupants in the home; if so, what is the interior wall construction within your home; is it a single family detached home/townhouse/apartment; if multi-family dwelling, what is the wall construction between units; if a detached dwelling, what is the exterior wall construction and distance to neighbors' homes.

Each different combination of answers to these and other questions will suggest a range of SD choices anywhere from OO buck to possibly even bird shot. In MY situation, #4 buck is my choice. Threat under eight yards, frame construction with neighbors close to me, etc.

There is no scenario where birdshot is an acceptable SD option.

(Unless, you need to blast a couple of rounds from your deck, but you need to talk to Biden about that).

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Win PDX12 rounds are what I use in my Mossberg 930 Tactical these days. In the old days I used 3" magnum #4B mainly but loaded a mix of rounds that got progressively more lethal. One #6 bird shot, 4 #4B, then a couple of slugs in a Mossberg 600. With a semi now I load uniformly with something the gun eats well. That is the most important thing in a semi. With a pump it is not as critical.

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    At this point I have my Persuader loaded with 00 buckshot. It's proven to offer one shot stops. But...I've read convincing articles that say #2 or #4 shot may be a better alternative for home defense in multi-dwelling buildings and and anywhere you're concerned that over penetration could harm other things.

Evil Twin

Jun 13, 2009
    I like #1 Buck for all the reasons listed in the chuckhawks link. That, and it patterns much better than #00 Buck.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    There is no scenario where birdshot is an acceptable SD option.

(Unless, you need to blast a couple of rounds from your deck, but you need to talk to Biden about that).

I think it may be the choice if you live in a studio apartment with paper thin walls between units. Don't be shooting you neighbors if you miss the BG.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    At this point I have my Persuader loaded with 00 buckshot. It's proven to offer one shot stops. But...I've read convincing articles that say #2 or #4 shot may be a better alternative for home defense in multi-dwelling buildings and and anywhere you're concerned that over penetration could harm other things.

#4 buck shot versus bird shot. Don't use bird shot for HD unless you're facing an angry flock of birds ;) BTW, if you haven't done so already I'd suggest you pattern your buckshot load from your chosen shotgun before use. You'll be surprised at the patterns you'll get versus bird shot.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    I use 00Buck frangible out if my 590A1. If you keep one in the pipe, just dont drop it. I dont think alot of these shotguns have drop safeties.

And you are not Jamie Lee Curtis.

Sirex