• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rem700fan

Ammo Disposal Expert
    Jul 11, 2012
    Eastern Panhandle, WV
    If you guys want to get rid of the non-sun weathered sheds...I'll take them. or if they are sentimental I can cut them up and turn them on my lathe into writing pens. like this...

Not that I have a bunch of sheds, but how many pounds of sheds make an even trade for a pen? I realize that may be a "depends" answer, due to shape, size, general condition, but just trying to get everyone a general idea for a trade. BTW the pens look great!

Some tips for shed hunting, check closely in areas that the deer have to either jump over or go under, fences, logs, low hanging limbs, etc. the jarring when they hit the ground seems to shake them off or knocked off when they go under something. When finding one, check in a 100 yard circumference area closely, if you are lucky you can find the matching one close by.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    some states dont allow you to take a skull with antlers...(mostly to cut down on poaching IMO)

Now is the time...if you see deer in your backyard theres probably bucks in the mix...

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    My buddy shot a nice 10 point on the last day of VA antlered rifle season. When the deer fell, one of the antlers broke off. He grabbed the remaining antler to drag it and it snapped off in his hand.
    I believe curse words were uttered.
    Real time sheds!

Hossfly

Feb 6, 2013
    1. Check near fences where deer jump/cross. Find the game trail where they cross.

2. Go driving at night, miles from the house in the ATV. Turns out, your tires will find them for you....

justsand

Ultimate Member
    Jul 14, 2010
    monrovia md
    For some reason, the wife won't ask, so I will...

She would like to have a shed (even just one side is fine) for her classroom.

Cracked and chipped is fine, as long as it's not a complete waste.

if I find anything I will let you know

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    For some reason, the wife won't ask, so I will...

She would like to have a shed (even just one side is fine) for her classroom.

Cracked and chipped is fine, as long as it's not a complete waste.

I can bring some wednesday, but I doubt they will let me into the Senate building with them:lol2:

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    I am watching 3 bucks along Beach Drive and when I don't see their horns anymore, I will go in there - it will be epic, and mushy.
    I have watched them all winter...

jmiller320

Ultimate Member
    Aug 7, 2008
    Havre de Grace
    The only shed I ever found was mowing a range at APG. Damn thing stuck in the tractor tire and I had to walk out to get help. One time we went in the Pine thicket behind the big ARL building looking for sheds. It was about 3:30 and we spooked a herd of deer right out into rush hour traffic. Never found any sheds that trip. I think the mice eat them really quick.

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    I am watching 3 bucks along Beach Drive and when I don't see their horns anymore, I will go in there - it will be epic, and mushy.
    I have watched them all winter...

There are two 10 pointers that I've seen alongside Beach Drive and on my street. I have a pic of the from last summer when in velvet.

kmb

Ultimate Member
    Jul 20, 2011
    I have 3 bucks in the conservation easement behind my house with racks on. Big boys too. I found what appear to be a matching set last spring around April. I will annotate to ensure I comply with DNR. I have been scoping the easement area where they all have been bedding down to see if I find any more. I'm really hoping to fine half of the 8 or 10 pointers. Good luck to all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom