• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    I found my first ones today! Also found an old buck skull with chewed off tips. Found in same area, bottomland full of deer trails way back from roads and houses, private land. I've been walking around different places like the dickens the last week looking for antlers. Turns out some bucks still haven't dropped their racks yet- one is still making rubs. 2 others were seen last monday.

antlers3-20-11.jpg

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    What laws? On selling them? I've asked DNR officers assigned to my area before about possession of found skulls and sheds, they said ok, just to put a tag on them or write on the underside when/where found, and cannot sell the deer skulls. Sheds, I think you can sell as long as you can see the base which proves they are sheds, or maybe they have to be made into something. However I have no intention to sell any I find, they are special to me like if I shot a large buck during deer season.

I've found the antlered skulls before when trapping water. Probably bad arrow hits. The deer go to water to die. I find them on the upper banks or the banks right next to the water, or near a swamp hole seep. So since I kept finding these I asked about possession. In PA though, you cannot pick up deer skulls. In PA you can pick up and keep sheds all you want.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    E shell, I know about those feeder set ups designed to catch a loose antler and make it come off, but in order for such to work, one has to have deer already coming to the feeder, including the bucks. No feeders where I'm at.

Well I was out again today, same area, but different section. Found 3 old sheds and another skull. This is really fun! I found the buck factory!

antler1march272011.jpg

antler3march272011.jpg

antlersmarch272011.jpg

Crab Bait

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2011
    Pasadena
    Earlier this year?

My about to be 5 year old was thrilled to find this at our shed trap today...
    IMAG1203.jpg

and yes, I realize it's a bit of a zombie thread.

chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    When I was a kid, my dog used to find sheds in the woods and play/chew on them. I wish she was around to find them now...

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    If you guys want to get rid of the non-sun weathered sheds...I'll take them. or if they are sentimental I can cut them up and turn them on my lathe into writing pens. like this...

Attachments

• Deer antler bolt action pen2.jpg
      Deer antler bolt action pen2.jpg
      11 KB · Views: 999

Crab Bait

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2011
    Pasadena
    Shed Trap

Now that it has come to life again.......

How did you make your "shed trap" and do you like it?

You can see the trap behind my son.

Drain pipe with a piece cut out so the corn will come out. I used four stakes and tied the pipe to two and stretched the fencing around it and out to the other two.

Basically, it's a V with the corn in it so the deer may catch their antlers in the fencing. Last year I was late getting it set up and didn't get anything. This year I started earlier and since the fencing was pretty tight, I opened it up some by cutting pieces out of it - you can see the larger opening over his shoulder with the old ice chest in the background (where I keep the corn).

Attachments

• IMAG1202.jpg
      IMAG1202.jpg
      85.5 KB · Views: 1,018

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads