• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Wait...did this pass or not?

http://mlis.state.md.us/2012rs/billfile/HB0579.htm

This says that the bill was passed, and that the amendment "requiring training" was adopted. There was another amendment that was rejected, but it didn't have any language related to "training".

I'm confused. Is the MLIS website up-to-date?

HB 579 is dead.

The House had already passed the good bill. Frosh's amendment adding a training requirement to an otherwise good bill was passed in the SJPC. The amended bill left SJPC and went to the full Senate where it never received a vote to be passed as amended.

navycraig

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2009
    St. Mary's
    Have the heads of MSI or SAF notified any of the local news media? It might be a good idea. It could get the message out. It might also be good to mention how many people decided to listen to the live feed only to be appalled at how things really go down but were happy to see that our voices had some sort of an impact. It may invigorate some others to listen to what is going on which can only be a good thing.

I'd like to write a "letter to the editor" for our local rag, but would like to include some rough facts...such as what it may cost the state to continue this fight in the circuit court. It's easy to blather with words, but when you put hard data (numbers) up for folks to see, eyes open a bit wider I think.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    I can second that. Let down for Open Holster Rally.
    And let down in getting them to realize they need to put down the Doritos for 5mins and make a few damn phones calls and emails.
    It is times like these you can quickly discern who walks the walk and who talks the talk.

Don't know where this is from. :confused:

Not everyone is interested in an Open Holster Rally. Not everyone will visit the capital.

People contribute in their own personal ways, and I think we need to appreciate what they do and the choices they make about how they do it.

If it weren't for a lot of people moving all at the same time these past few days, we'd all be whining about how unfair the legislature was in beating us with dirty tricks. These fake training requirements were planned at the highest levels and intended to pass. It was only when a large group of people stepped up - many of them never having been involved here or anywhere else, ever before - that this got beat back.

We talk about "Battered Gun Owner Syndrome" when it comes to gun owners in the state. That doesn't mean we have to batter ourselves at the same time, ya know? :)

Seriously, look up. We got a ton of work to do, but I am confident that as long as we keep with the plan and deliver quality information to each other, that we cannot lose. Your peers may not do it your way, but we are all going to do it together.

Execution counts, and this weekend we all proved we can execute as a team.

vector03

Frustrated Incorporated
    Jan 7, 2009
    Columbia
    In most cases, it's only through strong, knowledgeable leadership things get done. Looks to me like the MSI group of Generals just adopted an army.

LCPIWB

Needs an avatar
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 17, 2011
    Underneath the blimp, Md.
    Well that kinda disturbs me, I didn't think I would be one of the top few hundred gun-lobbyists in the state....

Oh well, stand up for what is right even if you stand alone.

I am disappointed in my friends, however.

I can second that. Let down for Open Holster Rally.
    And let down in getting them to realize they need to put down the Doritos for 5mins and make a few damn phones calls and emails.
    It is times like these you can quickly discern who walks the walk and who talks the talk.

Not everyone is interested in an Open Holster Rally. Not everyone will visit the capital.

People contribute in their own personal ways, and I think we need to appreciate what they do and the choices they make about how they do it.

I apologize, I certainly hope what I wrote did not come off as a bash on MSI, or the great guys in MSI, or members of this forum.
    I was in agreement with Jmangle that those I consider my personal friends, and family members, that talk a big talk about guns and 2A rights just sat back and watched things fall apart.(Lucky it don't though)
    In regards to those personal friends and how they would like to contribute in their personal ways, no amount of money donated to NRA, MSI, SAF is going to get the phone to lift off the receiver and tell your representative "NO". Somethings do require a personal sacrifice. If anything, what this last weekend has taught me is, maybe I need to choose some new friends.

You are tops with me Patrick, gprimr1, boxcar, norton, and the rest of the crew (forgive for not writing everyone's name).

By the way. Maryland Day will be down at college park on weekend of 28th. Great place to have a booth for MSI, LOTS of foot traffic. I can volunteer to help man a booth.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    By the way. Maryland Day will be down at college park on weekend of 28th. Great place to have a booth for MSI, LOTS of foot traffic. I can volunteer to help man a booth.

A bit too short of notice to spin up for that event, but look for MSI at the Towson Spring Festival on May 5-6. An email update will come out at some point inside of the next week or so, soliciting volunteers to man the booth. More info will be included in that update.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    Our tools held up pretty well but there were some lessons learned. We're going to apply some soon, but the big changes are modifying the alert email system to be more integrated with our Facebook, Twitter and website elements. Also, we seemed to get complaint that we were not issuing updates quick enough, but we didn't want to overwhelm your inboxes.

So I think we are going to split the emails into several categories: an "alert" system that is an all-call for everyone. It goes to all and is sent only when absolutely required to deliver good or bad news immediately. Then another group interested in frequent (weekly/bi-monthly) updates even if no action is required. Then I can foresee several possible subscription lists: federal case actions watch-list; self-defense in action; recipe of the week; etc.

People should be able to update their preferences to receive information dynamically. We seriously were worried over the weekend about spamming inboxes - I get more than 150 emails a day that I just toss as junk, and this is after my work server dumps 7,000 a week as obvious spam.

The new email alert tool was tested last night internally and so was our new MSI mail server. List maintenance is still under work.

Also website updates...

So it's been busy. Greg (gprimr1) is the wizard behind the curtain on this stuff. As active as he is out here, he is equally busy behind the scenes getting all the bits and bytes to line up.

Anyway, we'll post more detail later. Right now just wanted to give him credit for some subtle-but-big changes in the backend of this enterprise.

Twitter is Great! If you guys could update your picture though and get verified, that would be even better! It's nice because it is nearly instantaneous, it is concise, and allows direct interaction for fast paced movements of info (no wonder the military wants wired soldiers with smart phones).

Also, during the legislative session, people can set it up to receive texts of any tweet you guys publish. Using that as a prompt for urgent action like this past week, would be a good tool, but you have to get users to buy in.

Looks like you have ~450ish followers right now. What % of the membership is that? (If you care to divulge the # of members).

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    I apologize, I certainly hope what I wrote did not come off as a bash on MSI, or the great guys in MSI, or members of this forum. ...

Was not taken that way. I just think we proved that when it counts, people step up. I don't want to minimize that.

Asking people to get up and go somewhere is tough. Hell, I am committed to this thing and still have a baby, a toddler and a wife at home. I could not just drop all and head to the capital to watch it go down, even though I wanted to.

Open Holster rallies are for some, but not for others. Not everyone wants to have a holster openly displayed on their hip - loaded or empty. And by the same token, not everyone want to have to conceal the same.

Everyone has a view on this right, and that is a good thing. It is broad and expansive and can include everyone from the benchrest guy to the IDPA woman, the self-styled tactical operator, the dynamic shooters, duck hunters, plinkers, soccer moms with $1000 bags holding $900 guns and scared mothers of 2 working 3 jobs to make it all come together.

It even includes me - some guy more annoyed with the restrictions because they just should not exist, than actually interested in carrying in Maryland. Yeah, that's right: As much as I like to shoot, I would rarely carry in Maryland due to the lifestyle I have. I have only carried a few times in my civilian life, and only when the wife sent me on Craigslist bounty hunts in strange locales in new places.

We all got our thing. As long as we recognize it, we'll all work together when the time comes. So don't sweat the lack of rally participation - people step up when it matters most.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    I apologize, I certainly hope what I wrote did not come off as a bash on MSI, or the great guys in MSI, or members of this forum.
    I was in agreement with Jmangle that those I consider my personal friends, and family members, that talk a big talk about guns and 2A rights just sat back and watched things fall apart.(Lucky it don't though)
    In regards to those personal friends and how they would like to contribute in their personal ways, no amount of money donated to NRA, MSI, SAF is going to get the phone to lift off the receiver and tell your representative "NO". Somethings do require a personal sacrifice. If anything, what this last weekend has taught me is, maybe I need to choose some new friends.

You are tops with me Patrick, gprimr1, boxcar, norton, and the rest of the crew (forgive for not writing everyone's name).

A bit too short of notice to spin up for that event, but look for MSI at the Towson Spring Festival on May 5-6. An email update will come out at some point inside of the next week or so, soliciting volunteers to man the booth. More info will be included in that update.

That's a couple of weeks. A few phone calls and the setup from the fairs ( a table and a few poster displays ) PM me and LCPIWB to delegate if nesecary. The Charles and PG fairs are coming up as well. I think gun shows are a good venue as well. I know the Friends of NRA booth did great. I know when it is the same few people always doing the work it gets old fast but we seem to have more and more of us looking to get more involved.

Lightning

Feb 5, 2011
    The Peoples Republic of MD

If it weren't for a lot of people moving all at the same time these past few days, we'd all be whining about how unfair the legislature was in beating us with dirty tricks. These fake training requirements were planned at the highest levels and intended to pass. It was only when a large group of people stepped up - many of them never having been involved here or anywhere else, ever before - that this got beat back.

We talk about "Battered Gun Owner Syndrome" when it comes to gun owners in the state. That doesn't mean we have to batter ourselves at the same time, ya know? :)

Seriously, look up. We got a ton of work to do, but I am confident that as long as we keep with the plan and deliver quality information to each other, that we cannot lose. Your peers may not do it your way, but we are all going to do it together.

Execution counts, and this weekend we all proved we can execute as a team.

+10 to that. Well said!

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    More so than Obama? Please remember that if the President is dealt a conservative hand in the House of Representatives and the Senate, he's pretty much a eunuch (and very unlikely to win the Miss Euniverse Pageant).

I think so. If we have a conservative house and senate in 2013, they will be much more likely to pass bills Romney likes. Look how many things the Republicans passed during the Bush years that are the exact opposite of conservative governing. If it's Obama proposing a gun control measure, there will be people with pitchforks outside the White House. The NRA would go into full attack mode. If Romney does, he might get away with it because he's a Republican, and Republicans would never do anything to restrict our freedoms, right? Romney's a life member of the NRA! (same guy that signed a PERMANENT assault weapon ban in Mass.)

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    I think so. If we have a conservative house and senate in 2013, they will be much more likely to pass bills Romney likes. Look how many things the Republicans passed during the Bush years that are the exact opposite of conservative governing. If it's Obama proposing a gun control measure, there will be people with pitchforks outside the White House. The NRA would go into full attack mode. If Romney does, he might get away with it because he's a Republican, and Republicans would never do anything to restrict our freedoms, right? Romney's a life member of the NRA! (same guy that signed a PERMANENT assault weapon ban in Mass.)

Romney DID NOT sign a permanent ban I don't know where that lie comes from. Massachusetts already had a ban before he was governor. He signed a bill supported by MA gun groups that kept in place the federal AWB exemptions and restructure a whole load of other things. Get your facts straight.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC