• ...and so much more!
  • Joseph

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 13, 2009
    Clinton MD
    STALKER !!!!

MDGC0033.JPG

Yikes, you better get him before he gets you...

itsslow98

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    I didnt make it out friday but I shot a nice 100lb doe on saturday evening at 5:15pm and shot two 90lb does tonight at 5:16pm and 5:36pm. Its gonna be a great year!

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    ok so need some help. First time out ever deer hunting was this morning. I didnt have a stand so I decided to Still Hunt at the Monocacy NRM area here in Frederick/Dickerson.

Didnt get anything, had a real good chance until I walked into a spider web and proceeded to flail around to get the darn thing out of my face.

My question is this. It seems almost impossible to still hunt this early in the season. The brush was no joke up to my chest and almost impossible to walk without stomping around.

So I am going to get a stand. My question is do you worry about making a rukas while trying to get to your stand in the morning? I was out at 6:15 this morning.

Also anyone in Fred Co that has patience to endure a newbie hunting partner, send me a PM.

LeadSled1

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 25, 2009
    MD
    The only times I have still hunted is during very windy conditions. It helps cover your noise and movement. I walked to within 10 feet from a deer once doing this. Only problem is he was on the other side of a downed tree root and neither of us new each other was there until the 10 foot mark. Scared the poop out of me, and I swear his jaw dropped too before he bounded off a split second later.

Joseph

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 13, 2009
    Clinton MD
    how much did it weigh? or did you weigh it? You ever had the backstraps deep fried like finger steaks?

I didn't have a scale to weigh him with but he certainly weighed more than me so >155lb.

Now tell me about the deep fried backstraps please. I am not familiar with finger steaks either.

Joseph

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 13, 2009
    Clinton MD
    ok so need some help. First time out ever deer hunting was this morning. I didnt have a stand so I decided to Still Hunt at the Monocacy NRM area here in Frederick/Dickerson.

Didnt get anything, had a real good chance until I walked into a spider web and proceeded to flail around to get the darn thing out of my face.

My question is this. It seems almost impossible to still hunt this early in the season. The brush was no joke up to my chest and almost impossible to walk without stomping around.

So I am going to get a stand. My question is do you worry about making a rukas while trying to get to your stand in the morning? I was out at 6:15 this morning.

Also anyone in Fred Co that has patience to endure a newbie hunting partner, send me a PM.

Have you considered setting up a ground blind in a high traffic location?

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I didn't have a scale to weigh him with but he certainly weighed more than me so >155lb.

Now tell me about the deep fried backstraps please. I am not familiar with finger steaks either.

Basically prepare either a pan or deep fryer and fill pan 1" of cooking oil and heat oil to 350-375... take the backstraps cut into 3 to 4" long strips to your desired thickness usually I cut to 1/2" thick. in one bowl put 1 cup buttermilk. in a separate bowl 1 cup of flour, 1 tsp of salt, 1 tsp pepper and mix. Dip the back strap strips in butter milk and then the flour mixture. repeat again and put 5-6 pieces of backstrap in the oil cook 1-2 minutes or until golden brown. remove from oil and put on a papertowel lined bowl. add salt and pepper if the batter wasn't enough... dip with ranch or bbq sauce and enjoy! omit buttermilk if you don't like it. They are still good regardless:)

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code

is this public or private land? Do some scouting you may just be in a thick part of the woods/area...if its private find a good spot where trails intersect and lots of deer traffic are...set a stand close to there...20-30yds clear a path of sticks/leaves etc... to your stand/blind. also clear the path of leaves the deer are using...get in 1 hour before sunrise and get set up and wait. hope this helps some.

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    is this public or private land? Do some scouting you may just be in a thick part of the woods/area...if its private find a good spot where trails intersect and lots of deer traffic are...set a stand close to there...20-30yds clear a path of sticks/leaves etc... to your stand/blind. also clear the path of leaves the deer are using...get in 1 hour before sunrise and get set up and wait. hope this helps some.

Hey Wilcam,

Thanks. Both areas I was going to hunt (one private one public) The public land I was in today had a lot of thick brush and eventually tapered off but to get to the part that was clearer was a good long hike. Unfortunately the Monocacy NRM has only one entrance (the area on route 28 not parks mills road) and the spot where the brush is not thick (the better area where the deer are) you have to march through a lot of crap. Would you suggest just clearing out a path even though it may "disrupt" the normal deers normal view? Meaning the deer will notice a difference in environment.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Hey Wilcam,

Thanks. Both areas I was going to hunt (one private one public) The public land I was in today had a lot of thick brush and eventually tapered off but to get to the part that was clearer was a good long hike. Unfortunately the Monocacy NRM has only one entrance (the area on route 28 not parks mills road) and the spot where the brush is not thick (the better area where the deer are) you have to march through a lot of crap. Would you suggest just clearing out a path even though it may "disrupt" the normal deers normal view? Meaning the deer will notice a difference in environment.

From my limited experience deer are habitual and like to travel easy routes...by easy I mean cleared routes. Sure they can run like the wind straight through brush but they would rather have a nice winding trail to walk through...I cleared about 50-75 foot deer trail of leaves/branches etc and deer would funnel in and walk that path because it was quiet...little did they know it was within shooting range :D

The only disruption will be when you clear the path...you can put some corn down as a peace offering and I guarantee that it will be gone by the next time you go there :lol2:

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    From my limited experience deer are habitual and like to travel easy routes...by easy I mean cleared routes. Sure they can run like the wind straight through brush but they would rather have a nice winding trail to walk through...I cleared about 50-75 foot deer trail of leaves/branches etc and deer would funnel in and walk that path because it was quiet...little did they know it was within shooting range :D

The only disruption will be when you clear the path...you can put some corn down as a peace offering and I guarantee that it will be gone by the next time you go there :lol2:

I think I will be going through with a sickle today or tomorrow, still early in the season I can clear it off for later

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I think I will be going through with a sickle today or tomorrow, still early in the season I can clear it off for later

make sure you use some tick repellant such as REPEL for clothing...don't spray on your skin...spray on hunting clothes the night before and let it dry...it stays with the clothes 5-6 washes. Clear some shooting lanes from where you will have your stand. otherwise you will inevitably hit something and either miss your deer or hit it in a bad shot.

Joseph

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 13, 2009
    Clinton MD
    Basically prepare either a pan or deep fryer and fill pan 1" of cooking oil and heat oil to 350-375... take the backstraps cut into 3 to 4" long strips to your desired thickness usually I cut to 1/2" thick. in one bowl put 1 cup buttermilk. in a separate bowl 1 cup of flour, 1 tsp of salt, 1 tsp pepper and mix. Dip the back strap strips in butter milk and then the flour mixture. repeat again and put 5-6 pieces of backstrap in the oil cook 1-2 minutes or until golden brown. remove from oil and put on a papertowel lined bowl. add salt and pepper if the batter wasn't enough... dip with ranch or bbq sauce and enjoy! omit buttermilk if you don't like it. They are still good regardless:)

Hey, Thanks. I will definitely try it. I will need to find buttermilk. I have another recipe that calls for it (southern buttermilk fried rabbit) which I have not tried yet due to lack of buttermilk.

HogCommander

Aug 10, 2013
    Texas Hill Country
    Agree 100% with wilcam...been miserable with countless chigger bites for a week...got eaten up while walking through thick high grass while scouting public land. Wilcam also gave great advice on gametrails. I set up on one Saturday evening on public land just inside treeline where several trails intersected. Took a nice size doe 2 hours later. Hunted it again yesterday morning...nothing seen so I cleared out a trail to get in and out quietly by removing sticks/leaves. Hit it again yesterday evening but as I was pulling my gear up to the stand a couple of deer saw the movement and ran off. funny thing was they had come in on the same trail I had cleared in the morning. Long winded way of saying last few threads were great advice!

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    make sure you use some tick repellant such as REPEL for clothing...don't spray on your skin...spray on hunting clothes the night before and let it dry...it stays with the clothes 5-6 washes. Clear some shooting lanes from where you will have your stand. otherwise you will inevitably hit something and either miss your deer or hit it in a bad shot.

Repel is just deet and not that great for chiggers. You need to go with sawyers
    http://www.basspro.com/Sawyer-Permethrin-Insect-Repellent-for-Clothing/product/10223263/

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Hey, Thanks. I will definitely try it. I will need to find buttermilk. I have another recipe that calls for it (southern buttermilk fried rabbit) which I have not tried yet due to lack of buttermilk.

If you don't have buttermilk you can make a suitable sub...all you do is add 1 table spoon of white vinegar to the cup of milk let it sit 5 or so minutes and it will give it a sour/buttermilk taste...but it doesn't really thicken it up like buttermilk is. Most stores carry it though

MentalSquint

Can't Stomp Us Out
    Dec 6, 2007
    Frederick
    I'm pretty sure its illegal to be cutting any live shrubbery on public lands, kind of an ******* thing to do during hunting season anyways. The time to do that was a few weeks prior.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom