• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    we didn't assume anything you said between 6 am and 815...Like I said my priorities are deer rather than squirrels ...some places are thick with coyotes if you know there are a lot of coyotes (I didn't think MD was one of them but it might be different for your area). For me that would put a higher priority on the deer:sad20:......I didn't see any coyotes when I hunted in MD...just fox.

Also you have a pic of your shotgun...wheres your bow? that hole on the deer looks almost like a slug but from the angle its hard to tell...

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I don't care how many different weapons you took with you. I don't care how bad the shot was. All I'm concerned with is the lack of ability to concentrate on securing a kill before it all goes to complete waste. I have had a few situations where I have not pinned the tail on the donkey in the absolute proper spot either, and I have had to leave a Deer over night and come back the very next early early morning to track it and make sure I put forth every single bit of effort in making sure that Deer is not wasted like road kill, BUT, the difference is, it was not above 40 degrees and after my shot, all of my shots, I immediately concentrate on locating and getting that Deer dressed and out of the woods. I don't know where you are hunting, but, here I am still swatting flies and Mosquitoes in 40+ temps.

itsslow98

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    Yea I'm about done with this thread. I had 1oz slugs packed away for the squirrels too*sarcasm*. Have a good season guys.

And for the record, you can't gut a deer if you never find it....which would have happened if I went right in. I'm out cya

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I don't care how many different weapons you took with you. I don't care how bad the shot was. All I'm concerned with is the lack of ability to concentrate on securing a kill before it all goes to complete waste. I have had a few situations where I have not pinned the tail on the donkey in the absolute proper spot either, and I have had to leave a Deer over night and come back the very next early early morning to track it and make sure I put forth every single bit of effort in making sure that Deer is not wasted like road kill, BUT, the difference is, it was not above 40 degrees and after my shot, all of my shots, I immediately concentrate on locating and getting that Deer dressed and out of the woods. I don't know where you are hunting, but, here I am still swatting flies and Mosquitoes in 40+ temps.

:thumbsup:

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Yea I'm about done with this thread. I had 1oz slugs packed away for the squirrels too*sarcasm*. Have a good season guys.

And for the record, you can't gut a deer if you never find it....which would have happened if I went right in. I'm out cya

A gut shot Deer is dead in 10 minutes. It's the other 2 hours wasted not looking for it that cost the whole animal to be wasted.... I'm done as well.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    A gut shot deer may not be dead in just 10 minutes! If that was true and my doe was gut shot, I'd have found her down there 1/4 mile from where I made the shot LOL. The blood trail would have lead to her down in the little stream most likely, and my neighbors would have helped me drag her back home.

In itisslow's case, he was being cautious by waiting. I shot a big doe 2 seasons ago and it was 60 degrees- in shotgun season. I was worried about the meat but gutted her then dragged her up the hill, and by the time I had the skin off, it probably had been 2 hours, and a bunch of hunters AND a processor told me that I didn't have to fret so much and be so worried about skinning it ASAP to vent it out, then be all OCD about quartering it and jamming the quarters and backstraps into a fridge so fast. And that was with the thick winter fur. If I recall, I skinned it and left for a couple hours to eat out with parents and friends of theirs. By then it was cooling down to the upper 40's.

Of course itisslow had a bow/crossbow with him, most serious hunters I know keep them in the vehicle all season LOL. Not hard to start off for squirrel, see some deer, sneak out, change weapon and ditch the orange, and go sneak back and bowhunt.

Coyotes- not too many in the area he hunts if it's where he got the 2 big bucks. I'd be more worried about some anti hunter yuppie finding the deer there. Most likey a red fox is what chewed on the BUTT of the deer. Which is another good reason to leave some time before looking for it. You don't want to push the deer into going onto Mr and Mrs Bambilover's land. Yes, that is the BUTT of the deer! Look very carefully at the hair patterns and general anatomy. Looks like the fox chewed the tail off.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Does that not contradict exactly what you called me out on? Then you said all gut shot deer die in 10 minutes...........

Nice try, but, No. It does not. I would NEVER leave a Deer laying in warm temps. My Deer was left in the woods and it was about 30 degrees overnight. 30 degrees is a long stretch from 53. 53 might feel cool to you, but, it's not going to preserve raw meat.

I never said "all" gut shot Deer either. I said A gut shot Deer. On average of guys I know who have had really bad shots like a gut shot have never reported a Deer not expiring in more than 10 minutes. 10-20 minutes is a big stretch between 20 minutes and 2 hours...

I don't mind a little friendly debate, but, I despise grasping at straws.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    A gut shot deer may not be dead in just 10 minutes! If that was true and my doe was gut shot, I'd have found her down there 1/4 mile from where I made the shot LOL. The blood trail would have lead to her down in the little stream most likely, and my neighbors would have helped me drag her back home.

In itisslow's case, he was being cautious by waiting. I shot a big doe 2 seasons ago and it was 60 degrees- in shotgun season. I was worried about the meat but gutted her then dragged her up the hill, and by the time I had the skin off, it probably had been 2 hours, and a bunch of hunters AND a processor told me that I didn't have to fret so much and be so worried about skinning it ASAP to vent it out, then be all OCD about quartering it and jamming the quarters and backstraps into a fridge so fast. And that was with the thick winter fur. If I recall, I skinned it and left for a couple hours to eat out with parents and friends of theirs. By then it was cooling down to the upper 40's.

Of course itisslow had a bow/crossbow with him, most serious hunters I know keep them in the vehicle all season LOL. Not hard to start off for squirrel, see some deer, sneak out, change weapon and ditch the orange, and go sneak back and bowhunt.

Coyotes- not too many in the area he hunts if it's where he got the 2 big bucks. I'd be more worried about some anti hunter yuppie finding the deer there. Most likey a red fox is what chewed on the BUTT of the deer. Which is another good reason to leave some time before looking for it. You don't want to push the deer into going onto Mr and Mrs Bambilover's land. Yes, that is the BUTT of the deer! Look very carefully at the hair patterns and general anatomy. Looks like the fox chewed the tail off.

LOL, so, you're a law breaker ? Got it.

itsslow98

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    Nice try, but, No. It does not. I would NEVER leave a Deer laying in warm temps. My Deer was left in the woods and it was about 30 degrees overnight. 30 degrees is a long stretch from 53. 53 might feel cool to you, but, it's not going to preserve raw meat.

I never said "all" gut shot Deer either. I said A gut shot Deer. On average of guys I know who have had really bad shots like a gut shot have never reported a Deer not expiring in more than 10 minutes. 10-20 minutes is a big stretch between 20 minutes and 2 hours...

I don't mind a little friendly debate, but, I despise grasping at straws.

I'm just saying, your gonna leave a dead and bloody deer lying in the woods for racoons, foxes, coyotes and other animals to scavenge on.

Do some research, many many many top hunters and researchers say to wait up to 8 hrs before trailing a gut shot deer because it simply can take that long for them to die.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I have yet to get out, maybe this Saturday, I hope. Early Muzzle loader season is just around the corner.

Yes sir I am impatiently awaiting that date myself. Bow season is all fine and dandy, but, I prefer to wait until the temps have fallen a bit and do some serious bow hunting after the Muzzleloader season. I want to get my CVA Optima pistol out this season for the first time and also want to get my Rossi project out there.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    LOL, so, you're a law breaker ? Got it.

You are NOT REQUIRED to wear hunter orange while bowhunting, except if bowhunting during the open muzzleloader or modern firearms seasons for deer. He shot that deer when it WAS NOT during either of those deer seasons.

So who is the one looking stupid now?

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    You are NOT REQUIRED to wear hunter orange while bowhunting, except if bowhunting during the open muzzleloader or modern firearms seasons for deer. He shot that deer when it WAS NOT during either of those deer seasons.

So who is the one looking stupid now?

The one who walks around in the woods without orange on. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom