• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MAANavy

Feb 3, 2023
    Severn
    Oh, we don't have gun stuff. We just talk about them.
    Guns are scary and icky.

Right! Gun shows here are NOT what I’m used to compared to Florida and PA. Oh well won’t be forever

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    Hello all! Possibly a dumb question, but i am military living in Maryland and trying to sell M14 20rd magazines..I am aware it’s against the law to sell those in MD. However I’m not a resident and do have a PA address so if I use my PA address BUT ship them FROM MD is that still against the law? Or would i have to go up to PA just to ship them to a buyer? Thanks all!

Against the law to do anything in MD with 20 round mags other than possess them. Offering for sale from MD is illegal. Drive to PA and ship from there.

MAANavy

Feb 3, 2023
    Severn
    ...now you are thinking.

I suggest split furring strip that will fit inside the mag spring.

giphy.gif

MAANavy

Feb 3, 2023
    Severn
    Right back to the MDS mantra of "just keep publicly asking until everybody knows exactly what you want to do and tells you "no"!
    God almighty...

Not sure what your implying, but “As a rule, if you wouldn't say something to someone's face, then you should think twice before saying to them it over the Internet.”

MAANavy

Feb 3, 2023
    Severn
    To block them from 20 to 10?

I think it would only be illegal if you tried to do the reverse in MD. That could be construed as "manufacturing".

No law against "manufacturing" a 10 round mag.

Makes sense

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    Just post an offer for sale while on base. Federal property. Do not transfer them in the state.

And remember, federal property is not state property

IANAL

Last edited:

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    I think a gun forum is a place to ask questions, right? There are times when the law has no logic, a lot of times. Most people especially men think more along the lines of logic vs feelings. So trying to understand may take a minute. Meanwhile people are giving good info , sarcastic answers and unfortunately wrong answers. It may take a minute for any OP to come to grips with the situation. OK

OMCHamlin

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    May 17, 2017
    The Cumberland Plateau
    Not sure what your implying, but “As a rule, if you wouldn't say something to someone's face, then you should think twice before saying to them it over the Internet.”

Yep, it usually needs to be spelled out here.
    Okay, just simply sell it to someone out of state, quietly pack it up, take it to the good old US Post office and send it to them. And then resist the urge to post about it.
    No fanfare.
    Win.
    The end.

Do you think that if you don't mention it, USPS inspectors pass through there with dogs, especially trained to sniff out empty, normal capacity magazines? Can you see them evacuating the post office, cordoning it off and sending in the robot package tearer opener?

Damn serfs... Waaay too programmed to comply...

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    I’ll do the work in PA lol

So it's illegal to convert a 20 round mag to a 10 round mag in MD?

I didn't think that was the case.

Wouldn't the person be converting a pre-ban mag to a currently legal one?

To block them from 20 to 10?

I think it would only be illegal if you tried to do the reverse in MD. That could be construed as "manufacturing".

No law against "manufacturing" a 10 round mag.

So I suffer from BGOS (Battered Gun Owner Syndrome) and I am way too cautious at times so take what I say with a pound of salt. I am also not a lawyer - just someone who has read certain parts of the law:

§4–305 - b - A person may not manufacture, sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive, or transfer a detachable magazine that has a capacity of more than 10 rounds of ammunition for a firearm

So the law does say manufacture and it tries to capture everything but possess. For the sake of a 20-30 minute drive out of state, I am not sure it is worth risking inside of MD. This is why I personally believe magazine kits are also illegal to assemble inside of MD. If I bought them, I would transport them to PA, re-assemble them there and then drive back home.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Just post an offer for sale while on base. Federal property. Do not transfer them in the state.

And remember, federal property is not state property

It's federally controlled property within the state of MD.

The FFL on base at the PX has to comply with all Maryland laws, including the handgun roster and the magazine capacity limit.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    So the law does say manufacture and it tries to capture everything but possess. For the sake of a 20-30 minute drive out of state, I am not sure it is worth risking inside of MD.

But you left out the part that said "that has a capacity of more than 10 rounds of ammunition"

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    But you left out the part that said "that has a capacity of more than 10 rounds of ammunition"

Yes - you can certainly read the law that way. If you take out all the stuff in the middle, the law becomes:

A person may not manufacture a detachable magazine that has a capacity of more than 10 rounds of ammunition for a firearm

This makes a good case for me being wrong. This is why mine is just an opinion. For me, the risk isn't worth the squeeze.

Jimgoespewpew

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2021
    Terlingua
    Yep, it usually needs to be spelled out here.
    Okay, just simply sell it to someone out of state, quietly pack it up, take it to the good old US Post office and send it to them. And then resist the urge to post about it.
    No fanfare.
    Win.
    The end.

Do you think that if you don't mention it, USPS inspectors pass through there with dogs, especially trained to sniff out empty, normal capacity magazines? Can you see them evacuating the post office, cordoning it off and sending in the robot package tearer opener?

Damn serfs... Waaay too programmed to comply...
    You have now suggested doing something illegal to a new, unknown member on this forum. You, sir, are not using the brain God gave you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom