• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    :mad54: I hope not. I am one of the few that hasn't had any troubles there and I would like to keep it that way. :innocent0
    I'm curious about that - either you are immune to their "charms" or you guys are birds of a feather....only you don't seem as rude as they were to me on the two occasions I have been in there.

I honestly want to like the place - it's much closer and more convenient than going to On Target and at some point in the future I'm going to want to take advantage of the ability to shoot a Class III firearm.

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    I honestly want to like the place - it's much closer and more convenient than going to On Target and at some point in the future I'm going to want to take advantage of the ability to shoot a Class III firearm.

Then I'd say keep going until you either can't take it anymore like many of the members here, or eventually you may become part of the clique and not have to worry about it. I don't think that anyone here would seriously try to tell people not to go there and at least try it for themselves, they are sharing their own experiences. And as I said earlier, this is a good group of people who almost alway give shops the benefit of the doubt, so the fact that there is almost universal disgust says a lot. I can't remember any shop receiving this much flak in the entire life of this forum (although I seem to recall one other with a psycho owner who is destined to make the 6 o'clock news).

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Then I'd say keep going until you either can't take it anymore like many of the members here, or eventually you may become part of the clique and not have to worry about it. I don't think that anyone here would seriously try to tell people not to go there and at least try it for themselves, they are sharing their own experiences. And as I said earlier, this is a good group of people who almost alway give shops the benefit of the doubt, so the fact that there is almost universal disgust says a lot. I can't remember any shop receiving this much flak in the entire life of this forum (although I seem to recall one other with a psycho owner who is destined to make the 6 o'clock news).
    I hear what you are saying, but I'm also taking my kids with me, and frankly, they don't want to go back. Ever. That's not something I put in their head, but a vibe they got from the experience. But, they like it at On Target, the prices are similar, and it's less than 10 minutes more to get there.

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    I hear what you are saying, but I'm also taking my kids with me, and frankly, they don't want to go back. Ever. That's not something I put in their head, but a vibe they got from the experience. But, they like it at On Target, the prices are similar, and it's less than 10 minutes more to get there.

On Target is about to undergo a major renovation on the range AND in the showroom area so some of us might be forced to use Select Fire for a few weeks until OT is back up and running.

And then again, I really don't have the urge to shoot that badly....

I think OT is getting new firing lanes, a new backstop and a few other things.

Oh yeah....they also got about a dozen MDShooters stickers sitting on the counter as of yesterday so if you need one, drop by there and pick up one. :)

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    It came to me today that Select Fire needs to outlaw key fob car alarm remotes because someone might signal the all-clear for a robbery using morse code on their car horn.

smokering

Day Walker
    May 16, 2008
    AA
    I was in Select Fire (the only person) and Wayne was behind the counter. I said hi, he said hi and said something along the line of "You remembered to leave you cell in the car?" to which I replied "yes, I don't like to carry it much myself...no privacy". He laughed and said "I hear ya, I figured you knew but just wanted to check, our alarms have gone off like 4 times in a week because of people coming in with them".

He asked for my license, we made some small talk. He asked what calibers I had in the bag and I went to take them out and he said it wasn't necessary just tell him. :cool: I told him what I had and he said cool, need any targets you got the place to yourself lane 6 cool? He then told me if I needed anything he would be in the back doing paperwork and such.

I noticed a man and his son came in while I was shooting and then someone else but they didn't shoot and stayed for maybe 20 minutes or so. When I was done, Wayne was on the phone and checked me out. I paused to ask a question on when the next safety class was as my wife and 2 friends' fiances were interested. It was a personal cell call (LOL) :lol2: he was on (ironic) (I'm fairly sure as the business phone rang several minutes later). He excused himself and answered my question without any fanfare (not like I was bothering him) and I left.

Like I said before, maybe it's because I took the NRA course there and have been in a handful of times they remember me. Maybe they (or Wayne) is mellowing a bit. I will admit it was the nicest I've been treated there (never treated poorly), but usually I get the ball breaking from the son. I figure if I let a kid 20 something years my junior irk me then I am losing my edge ;)...just thought I'd share. :D Next time I'm there they may bust my balls....I'll just bust them back :innocent0

Grey_Mana

Jul 29, 2008
    MD
    After trying to do repeat business at Select Fire, I've changed my mind and have deleted my earlier post. I no longer recommend them to anyone; I do not consider it a sufficiently safe place for me to practice. I do not recommend it as a place to purchase anything.

Last edited:

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    #4 -- My cell phone never rings - it vibrates.

As for ammo, the only time I ever went in there to shoot I was shooting reloads and they gave me no problems about it.

Everything else aside, yes, it is a business, and like any other business, it depends partially upon repeat customers. I've gone in there to shoot once, and only once due to getting what amounted to a pretty negative vibe about the place. My kids definitely didn't like it and since I want them to learn how to shoot and to enjoy it like I did with my Dad, if they don't like it, that's an important enough detail that I'm certainly going to take note of it and go elsewhere.

It's interesting when looking across the threads regarding Select Fire how many people have had similar experiences to mine and have chosen to take their business elsewhere. Do the folks at Select Fire not like making money? Who knows, but if all of the people who have participated in these threads were repeat customers there, think how much better their business would be doing. If they don't care that they aren't getting repeat business, is that the kind of attitude I want to deal with or a place I want to take my business? (It's a rhetorical question Farley! Take a lap!) No - it isn't.

simplegreen

Professional Nerd
    What Select Fire offers is expertise and customer service. They pick up business from timid people interested in shooting their first gun. They pick up the other end of the spectrum, people interested in tactical training. They pick up business training security guards (federal agencies and private companies). Wayne is a nice guy; he has a lot of personality. The two boys who work their have some growing up to do, but they are helpful.

I'd recommend Select Fire as the best choice of stores for somebody new to firearms, that needs their hand held and wants to ask lots of questions and get lots of advice. Pro Bass is also good about answering questions, but they aren't as knowledgable.
    -------
    Select Fire doesn't want cell phones in their store. They say it's the alarm. One naturally suspects:
    1- they don't want pictures taken with camera phones.
    2 - they don't want a phone to ring out on the range, and somebody break the safety rules because they're stupid. Enough drivers kill themselves and others talking on cell phones. I personally don't need to see anybody texting and shooting at the same time.
    3- they are a business, and if you are on the phone you aren't being a customer
    4 - if you can hear your phone ring when you're shooting, then your ear protection is inadequate.

Yes, they are aggressive about not wanting cell phones in their store. They have a big clear sign about it. If somebody is too preoccupied to read a sign, they might not read the safety signs. Likewise, if somebody has a chip on their shoulder about cell phone rights, they might possibly be a safety risk.

Next, they are aggressive about wanting to visually inspect your gun when you come in. They want all guns brought into the store in cases. They don't want loaded magazines brought into the store. They don't want you to use outside ammo. I think it is reasonable, if not accomodating, that a gun store wants to make profit on ammo and doesn't want to subsidize Pro Bass. Likewise, a guy alone in a gun store needs to be paranoid about bangers coming into to rob him. They have every right to be afraid of people carrying concealed into their store.

Yes, they have a lot of cameras. If you do something unsafe, they might well see it.

That's my 2 cents.

Sorry dude, but that doesnt seem like 2 cents. That, in addition to only 2 posts means you are are either one of the clique or one of the employees. The last thing i would do if was buying my first firearm and I knew any better would be to go to SF. And i shoot there on a semi regular basis. Honestly if i knew any better and i was in the glen burnie area, i would either to go A&D pawn (those guys have always been awesome at answering my questions), or take the drive to on target when i know it will be slow and i can get some QT with the staff.

Bottom line is SF is barely hanging on and everyone knows it, it would be in their best interest, if they want to keep attracting clientele or keep the ones they have, to shape up and start offering some basic customer service.

Of course they dont want people taking pictures and texting while shooting, but if you are in the first place you're a moron. On Target has the same rules against doing that stuff but they dont hit you like hitler when you walk in the door about your cell.

If they want people to be customers more than talking on a cell phone and that is even a remote concern they can start by actually being polite. I've had good experiences with Wayne, he doesn't know me and I dont want him to but I've always been treated well when i go in and he is there, its the kids that make me feel totally unwanted as a customer and like an annoyance to them. If it wasnt so close and/or it was any worse than it is for me, i'd take the drive to OT any day.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Pleeze, if you think outlawing cell phones is going to protect you from someone taking pictures you must be a Luddite.

smokering

Day Walker
    May 16, 2008
    AA
    What Select Fire offers is expertise and customer service. They pick up business from timid people interested in shooting their first gun. They pick up the other end of the spectrum, people interested in tactical training. They pick up business training security guards (federal agencies and private companies). Wayne is a nice guy; he has a lot of personality. The two boys who work their have some growing up to do, but they are helpful.

I'd recommend Select Fire as the best choice of stores for somebody new to firearms, that needs their hand held and wants to ask lots of questions and get lots of advice.
    Get a Glock or anything but a Sig is crap, is not much advice.

Next, they are aggressive about wanting to visually inspect your gun when you come in. They want all guns brought into the store in cases. They don't want loaded magazines brought into the store. They don't want you to use outside ammo.
    Read my post above....I think I've bought ammo from SF twice (they require it if you rent their weapons), just like every other place but I've never been asked to buy ammo.

If it wasnt so close and/or it was any worse than it is for me, i'd take the drive to OT any day.
    I live closer to OT, but I just don't like the area. Maybe because it is in a strip mall and there are just too many cars and too much foot traffic. With MD laws being what they are it's just too easy to be a sitting duck for someone to jack you on the way to or at your car for your range bag. Also they do attract many people most wouldn't want to socialize with. :innocent0

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Bottom line is SF is barely hanging on and everyone knows it, it would be in their best interest, if they want to keep attracting clientele or keep the ones they have, to shape up and start offering some basic customer service.
    I think they are probably doing ok - they probably get enough business from folks doing Class III transfers on top of their tactical training courses (which I wasn't even aware they did until I came on MDShooters) that they can still make it even though they piss off 85% of the people that walk through the door. And it isn't so much that the place is really that bad, but it's a shame at what it could be with just a little effort to maintain the facility and a little more effort to provide better customer service. The payoff would likely far outweigh the effort in terms of repeat business and new business due to word of mouth.

mike_in_md

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2008
    Howard County
    -------
    They don't want loaded magazines brought into the store. They don't want you to use outside ammo. I think it is reasonable, if not accomodating, that a gun store wants to make profit on ammo and doesn't want to subsidize Pro Bass.

That's my 2 cents.

Loaded magazines helps you get in and out of the range faster. There is no reason to not allow it IMO. I can understand a requirement to buy their ammo ONLY if you rent their gun. BTW, I reload and pick up all my brass. I'm not sure if Select Fire allows that...they probably don't since they seem to disallow everything else.

I like On Target...that range has nice folks working there and don't have these unreasonable rules. I also pick up the brass I fire so I can reload and shoot there more often.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    Loaded magazines helps you get in and out of the range faster. There is no reason to not allow it IMO. I can understand a requirement to buy their ammo ONLY if you rent their gun. BTW, I reload and pick up all my brass. I'm not sure if Select Fire allows that...they probably don't since they seem to disallow everything else.

I like On Target...that range has nice folks working there and don't have these unreasonable rules. I also pick up the brass I fire so I can reload and shoot there more often.

Select fire allows you to pick up your brass, only your brass as I was told. The young fellow I talked to was not the most friendly person I have ever met, but he did his job and sent me in to shoot. He gave me no reason not to come back. After I was done shooting he showed me some pistols in the case for sale and I left.
    He did not go out of his way to be my best friend, but he did not give me a lot of attitude either.

mike_in_md

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2008
    Howard County
    On Target is about to undergo a major renovation on the range AND in the showroom area so some of us might be forced to use Select Fire for a few weeks until OT is back up and running.

And then again, I really don't have the urge to shoot that badly....

I think OT is getting new firing lanes, a new backstop and a few other things.

Oh yeah....they also got about a dozen MDShooters stickers sitting on the counter as of yesterday so if you need one, drop by there and pick up one. :)

That's interesting about the renovation. I'll have to ask them about that when I stop in next time. BTW, I picked up one of those stickers off the counter last Thursday night. There were only two on the counter when I grabbed one.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I did my best to stay out of yet another "Select Fire" thread, but . . . :sad20:
    What Select Fire offers is expertise and customer service.
    This "fact" is so well camouflaged by their collective demeanor, it is impossible to believe without special glasses. . .
    They pick up business from timid people interested in shooting their first gun.
    Because these people don't know what real customer service is until they visit another range, any other range.
    They pick up the other end of the spectrum, people interested in tactical training. They pick up business training security guards (federal agencies and private companies).
    Perhaps, were I one of these mall ninjas, I would be much more excited by this. Unfortunately, we ordinary folk don't reap these well hidden benefits. FWIW, most feds that are serious about training are down at Quantico, at the "real" HRT range next to R-305, where their agencies send them for real training. Not sure where the elite TSA people go.
    Wayne is a nice guy;
    Ummm . . . . O-Tay, perhaps to you.
    he has a lot of personality.
    Ha! I KNEW we could find common ground here.
    The two boys who work their have some growing up to do,
    Cool, more things to agree on.
    but they are helpful.
    Damn, and lost it just that quick . . .
    I'd recommend Select Fire as the best choice of stores for somebody new to firearms, that needs their hand held and wants to ask lots of questions and get lots of advice.
    This is the most hilarious thing I've ever read online!!! Didn't even need a punchline. TY for brightening my day.
    Pro Bass is also good about answering questions,
    No, dammit, I was wrong, THIS is the most hilarious thing I've ever read online!
    but they aren't as knowledgable. . .
    . . .as a box of rocks . . . Yes, with one or two very contrasting exceptions, I must agree.
    -------
    Select Fire doesn't want cell phones in their store. They say it's the alarm. One naturally suspects:
    1- they don't want pictures taken with camera phones.
    2 - they don't want a phone to ring out on the range, and somebody break the safety rules because they're stupid. Enough drivers kill themselves and others talking on cell phones. I personally don't need to see anybody texting and shooting at the same time.
    3- they are a business, and if you are on the phone you aren't being a customer
    4 - if you can hear your phone ring when you're shooting, then your ear protection is inadequate.

Yes, they are aggressive about not wanting cell phones in their store. They have a big clear sign about it. If somebody is too preoccupied to read a sign, they might not read the safety signs.
    The policy is their right. It's their property. Other than not appreciating being lied to (about sensitive alarm systems, etc.), I don't think anyone really cares about "why" and all the possible reasons they have for the policy. The point of almost every previous post is that they are crazy disrespectful in their unprovoked F-U attitude to people who *might* even have a cell phone. One can have a reasonable policy and not act disrespectful and condescending to (almost) everyone who walks in the door. They are not talking to recruits at boot, who have no place else to go.
    Likewise, if somebody has a chip on their shoulder about cell phone rights, they might possibly be a safety risk.
    LMAO, "chip on shoulder", in a Select Fire thread, whodathunkit . . . By your line of reasoning here, the entire staff should probably have their firearms confiscated for the good of the public.
    Next, they are aggressive about wanting to visually inspect your gun when you come in. They want all guns brought into the store in cases. They don't want loaded magazines brought into the store.
    This is reasonable and common. No one wants the potential to have a loaded gun in front of them, or one that can be loaded in 1.5 seconds.
    They don't want you to use outside ammo.
    In their firearms, which is reasonable and prudent.
    I think it is reasonable, if not accomodating, that a gun store wants to make profit on ammo and doesn't want to subsidize Pro Bass.
    Not really, many/most ranges allow one to use their own ammo. It's not like one isn't already paying for services rendered. Restrictions on bullet types (no AP/Trace/etc.) are also reasonable.
    Likewise, a guy alone in a gun store needs to be paranoid about bangers coming into to rob him. They have every right to be afraid of people carrying concealed into their store.
    How is this related to treating 95% of your potential clientèle like idiot children?

The single biggest gripe that comes up over and over in these "Select Fire" threads is that these people treat most paying customers like crap, and that anyone looking for an indoor range would do well to look at how good customer service and common courtesy can be at a shop that cares about these things. For those of us that have used more than one range, the contrast is clear.

I try my best to encourage these small businesses with my dollars. I like having them around, and hate to see the general firearms business fade away or be kept in obscurity. I hate to see any firearms-related business catch flak over anything. It looks bad to the public, it creates in-fighting among those who should be united, but, honest to God, if you act like you want to be alone, you should be.

There is an adage in customer service in which it is stated: "A satisfied customer tells a friend, a dissatisfied customer tells ten friends", and as general manager of a multi-million dollar a year business, I can tell you it's true. If customer service isn't important to you, don't be all insulted when your customers vote with their feet and tell their friends all about their experiences, as is happening right here, right now. Take up for them if you want to, earn your money, but know that no one here is as convinced by the cheerleading department as they are by their own experiences and experiences of those they believe.
    Yes, they have a lot of cameras. If you do something unsafe, they might well see it.
    Good. I like seeing attention to *real* safety issues and feel better when I know that the shooter next to me is being supervised.
    That's my 2 cents.
    And here is your change.

No personal malice intended, but trying to justify piss-poor customer service to anyone not in the clique just doesn't make sense on any level. So what if a person treats a couple friends well?

Look around yourself. There are a LOT of dollars walking away, and not just because of this thread. Most people posting here have actually tried to use the facility, and have been thoroughly, perhaps intentionally, alienated. No one wants to be spoken to like a dog. There are many people who would LOVE to have a local range to spend some time, and yet keep their dignity. Beyond the anointed few, is it possible? Doesn't look like it . . .

On Target is a ways off for the north AA/south Bal'mer crowd, Continental is further yet, but guess where everyone drives to and spends their money? Read the praise for these places. How good their CS is, how friendly the staff, how different from some other places they've been to.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom