• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.
    That is kind of silly though. So a perp walks in to the store, sees it is a good time to hit, walks the 5 steps it takes to exit, and calls his buddies. Am I missing something? That seems to be like thinking that if a store owner puts a "NO GUNS" sign on the door that it will prevent armed robbery. :shrug:

DD

I hear you. When i had the shop in Orlando this wasn't much of an issue because cell phones were not so prevalent. I guess the theory is that a perp could come in and take photos and coordinate a robbery. That's what I've been told. At the armory, hal doesn't break the stones of customers that he knows and has always been pretty cool to folks about telling them no phones. I did get yelled at by the guys at A&D a couple of years ago when my phone rang and I took the call while I was in there. it was an important client and I had to take it so I made my way outside quickly and then apologized to my client for the yelling asshat in the background. I then went inside for the explanation and an apology. I got the security issue explanation and to their credit an apology.

That may indeed be the thinking, but I'm with DD214 on this one. By the same logic, shouldn't any buisness that's a high value target, (banks, convenience/ liquor stores) also ban them? I'm trying to remember if Dan has a sign, I don't recall seeing one.

I'm with you. I'm just relating what I heard. I'm not the cell police or the maker of ridiculous signs that defy logic.

There is a bank in crofton that has a buzz in door and a sign that says no wearing of sunglasses inside. Wonder what that's all about.

I don't go to select fire, so no worries on them. when i go to a&d i leave my cell in my pocket so that we don't have further issues.

The main gist of this thread seems to be that a couple of napoleanic pricks seem to get their jollies by screaming at people over cell phones and talking shit about a customers choice in firearms, whilst trying to impress them with their limitless tacticool. :)

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    DD

I hear you. When i had the shop in Orlando this wasn't much of an issue because cell phones were not so prevalent. I guess the theory is that a perp could come in and take photos and coordinate a robbery. That's what I've been told. At the armory, hal doesn't break the stones of customers that he knows and has always been pretty cool to folks about telling them no phones. I did get yelled at by the guys at A&D a couple of years ago when my phone rang and I took the call while I was in there. it was an important client and I had to take it so I made my way outside quickly and then apologized to my client for the yelling asshat in the background. I then went inside for the explanation and an apology. I got the security issue explanation and to their credit an apology.

Well, I figure that it is their place of business and they can set the rules, so it doesn't cause me any heartache. I would never take a call in a quiet store anyway since it is kind of rude. I always step outside even if there isn't a no phone policy. At the same time I seriously doubt that it provides even a modest level of security at all. You don't need photos to coordinate a robbery in a small gun store, just the right timing. I'd say the biggest detractor would be the sidearms strapped to the store employees' hips.

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    The main gist of this thread seems to be that a couple of napoleanic pricks seem to get their jollies by screaming at people over cell phones and talking shit about a customers choice in firearms, whilst trying to impress them with their limitless tacticool. :)

Yeah, as I said above, they have every right to set their store policies and I respect that, but in return I expect a certain level of respect or common courtesy in return. Yelling at people as they have been reported to do isn't cool, and while they have every right to do that, we have every right to never spend a cent in their store as well.

That said, I have nothing against them, as I have never been there and never experienced the stuff that others have described. But after reading this thread, I'm probably going to steer clear.

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    I'm surprised no one from Select Fire has joined up to lash out at us. That seems to happen in most of the threads like this. I'm sure someone has sent them a link.

:popcorn:

Yeah, as I said above, they have every right to set their store policies and I respect that, but in return I expect a certain level of respect or common courtesy in return. Yelling at people as they have been reported to do isn't cool, and while they have every right to do that, we have every right to never spend a cent in their store as well.

That said, I have nothing against them, as I have never been there and never experienced the stuff that others have described. But after reading this thread, I'm probably going to steer clear.

Let me know when you want to go up there and stunt them. Cheeseburger, uh I mean 3rdRcn and I will join you. :party29:

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I think that it is unfortunate that when SF get's mentioned in a thread on this forum that it seems to eventually wind up being a slam-fest with SF getting drug through the dirt. That said, it is equally unfortunate that it also seems that the reputation they have is mostly deserved. There are a couple of guys here who seem to do ok there and have no issues, but they also seem to be in the minority.

Then again, I've only been here on the forum for two whole days - what in the heck do I know? :o

wlc

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    ... their general customers don't know anything and are barely smart enough to manage to keep from injuring themselves.

When dealing with firearms, I would say that is a good safe asumption to make until proven otherwise.

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    I think that it is unfortunate that when SF get's mentioned in a thread on this forum that it seems to eventually wind up being a slam-fest with SF getting drug through the dirt. That said, it is equally unfortunate that it also seems that the reputation they have is mostly deserved. There are a couple of guys here who seem to do ok there and have no issues, but they also seem to be in the minority.

Then again, I've only been here on the forum for two whole days - what in the heck do I know? :o

Having been a member here since day one (obviously), I will say that our members will go out of their way to help, promote, and praise local dealers, and criticism is rare and tempered. MD gun shops are almost always given the benefit of the doubt around here, even when criticism is justified. Those that have been around for a while will be able to attest to the nature of the board when it comes to stuff like this. That said, the fact that so many people light up when SF is mentioned speaks VOLUMES about their reputation.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I'm surprised no one from Select Fire has joined up to lash out at us. That seems to happen in most of the threads like this. I'm sure someone has sent them a link.

:popcorn:

They don't have Internet access at their business because someone might use it to set them up for a robbery. Same with the telegraph, pencil and paper, and anyone caught miming is of course, dead meat.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    They don't have Internet access at their business because someone might use it to set them up for a robbery. Same with the telegraph, pencil and paper, and anyone caught miming is of course, dead meat.

How do they feel about about carrier pigeons and smoke signals?

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    Now, I have seen fire alarms go into trouble when the SAM Gulfstream's were keying their mic's in the hangar.

In my experience, cellphones?...Never. Got be be a general robbery issue.

Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005

The answer is much simpler...they can't read.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I wonder what the ammo-heads at select fire would think if they had Internet access and actually found this thread.

Hopefully they'll make a policy barring anyone wearing an Md Shooters tee shirt.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom