• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    I have a capital one app (capital one wallet). It sends a notification immediately to my phone every time I make a charge or make a payment. Very nice little tool. I recommend it.

I set "triggers" on all of my cards. PITA sometimes, but that once kept me from a large charge for plumbing fixtures in England.

USAFRavenR6

Apr 7, 2012
    Mur-land
    Exactly, most days it would be useless too me anyway.

Actually I would. I am the 49% owner of a contracting business. I also do not think that the potential for danger is limited to and from work either considering the data the SF86 contains. If you are unfamiliar with the form, Google it and download a copy to see the amount of information contained in a completed copy.

I think people are looking at this wrong. G&S is defined from the MDSP as a heightened sense of danger from others outside of your anxiety (or something along those lines). Since this data breech occurred and the amount of information lost pertaining to ones life, along with current clearance, it *could* potentially be a reason. Especially that China is to blame, so they report.

I have been thinking about applying for my MD CCW based on business transactions here in Maryland, bank deposits for clients who pay with check, since I am a MD resident. I do not think that throwing this in there would hurt my chances.

PharaohF4

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2010
    I was a .gov contractor a couple years back. I worked in finance and remember filling out a form. I think SF85. I did not hold a clearance, but they did a background check on me. I wonder if I'm part of the 4mil. I even printed and saved the hard copy of the form because it so much information that I wouldn't remember.

At the very least I will do the following (recommended by OPM):

• Request a free credit report at www.AnnualCreditReport.com or by calling 1-877-322-8228. Consumers are entitled by law to one free credit report per year from each of the three major credit bureaus – Equifax®, Experian®, and TransUnion® – for a total of three reports every year.
    • You may place a fraud alert on your credit file to let creditors know to contact you before opening a new account in your name. Simply call TransUnion® at 1-800-680-7289 to place this alert. TransUnion® will then notify the other two credit bureaus on your behalf.

these seem like no brainers and I've meant to up my identity theft protection

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    You "usually" (obviously exceptions) only have to do the OGE form (financial disclosure) if you have first hand knowledge of things related to government contracts or work directly with contractors etc. This is so the .gov can figure out if you are exploiting your intel. i.e. I know that a certain contractor let's say "General Dynamics" is about to be awarded a huge contract >$1B. Well maybe I decide to buy a crap load of that stock before it is announced then sell it immediately after netting me a nice pay day. Or vice versa if you own stock in a company doing .gov business and MYSTERIOUSLY DUMP IT FOR NO REASON just a couple days before they lose a contract. Not that I know anything about these things :innocent0

Blaster229 from what I gather by most of your posts you seem like an on the ground 'tactical type'. Might not be much reason for you to do this.

Sounds like sop for congress.

Oh yeah but they're exempt from prosecution.

JDove

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2010
    Actually I would. I am the 49% owner of a contracting business. I also do not think that the potential for danger is limited to and from work either considering the data the SF86 contains. If you are unfamiliar with the form, Google it and download a copy to see the amount of information contained in a completed copy.

I think people are looking at this wrong. G&S is defined from the MDSP as a heightened sense of danger from others outside of your anxiety (or something along those lines). Since this data breech occurred and the amount of information lost pertaining to ones life, along with current clearance, it *could* potentially be a reason. Especially that China is to blame, so they report.

I have been thinking about applying for my MD CCW based on business transactions here in Maryland, bank deposits for clients who pay with check, since I am a MD resident. I do not think that throwing this in there would hurt my chances.

I meant useless as in I can't carry to work. I'm afraid that wouldn't go over so well.:lol2:

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Now they're saying some of this info could go back e0 years. Even if it's just cleared employees, 30 years is a big chunk of people. Hell, think how many military personnel have processed through the ranks in 30 years and how many had at least a secret clearance.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    If you think about it, the answer is in front of you, because you are at a higher risk for kidnap, blackmail, etc... Think about it and you will figure it out.

Too dramatic. Don't be foolish enough to think bad guys don't already have some cleared people info. Why haven't any of those people been kidnapped yet?

I keep seeing blackmail. Don't people realize one of the main reasons for a clearance to be so thorough? It's so that the G knows EVERYTHING about you that you cannot be blackmailed for.

" Hey boss, some foreign national just approached me for intel and said they would tell you guys about my drunk cousin Louie (insert any situation) if I didn't cooperate."

" That's cool. Tell them that we already know about Louie and for them to bark up some other tree".

IgotAgun

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 20, 2015
    OPM does not issue clearances. They conduct the background investigations. The agencies issue the clearances.

Whitey

Collector and involved.
    Apr 5, 2014
    Central MD
    I was a .gov contractor a couple years back. I worked in finance and remember filling out a form. I think SF85. I did not hold a clearance, but they did a background check on me. I wonder if I'm part of the 4mil. I even printed and saved the hard copy of the form because it so much information that I wouldn't remember.

At the very least I will do the following (recommended by OPM):

• Request a free credit report at www.AnnualCreditReport.com or by calling 1-877-322-8228. Consumers are entitled by law to one free credit report per year from each of the three major credit bureaus – Equifax®, Experian®, and TransUnion® – for a total of three reports every year.
    • You may place a fraud alert on your credit file to let creditors know to contact you before opening a new account in your name. Simply call TransUnion® at 1-800-680-7289 to place this alert. TransUnion® will then notify the other two credit bureaus on your behalf.

these seem like no brainers and I've meant to up my identity theft protection

Ran credit right after a particular meeting today. So far so good...:banghead:

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    Too dramatic. Don't be foolish enough to think bad guys don't already have some cleared people info. Why haven't any of those people been kidnapped yet? I keep seeing blackmail. Don't people realize one of the main reasons for a clearance to be so thorough? It's so that the G knows EVERYTHING about you that you cannot be blackmailed for. " Hey boss, some foreign national just approached me for intel and said they would tell you guys about my drunk cousin Louie (insert any situation) if I didn't cooperate." " That's cool. Tell them that we already know about Louie and for them to bark up some other tree".

So why can't people with clearances just take the class and get the handgun permit? Geez, the govt trusts them with national secrets, but not a firearm? Tell me how that makes sense? Oh, that's right it's MD.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Too dramatic. Don't be foolish enough to think bad guys don't already have some cleared people info. Why haven't any of those people been kidnapped yet?

I keep seeing blackmail. Don't people realize one of the main reasons for a clearance to be so thorough? It's so that the G knows EVERYTHING about you that you cannot be blackmailed for.

" Hey boss, some foreign national just approached me for intel and said they would tell you guys about my drunk cousin Louie (insert any situation) if I didn't cooperate."

" That's cool. Tell them that we already know about Louie and for them to bark up some other tree".

My point is that there is already a pathway to use a clearance of TS or better as your G&S to get a CCW in MD. Not everybody is LE and can carry off duty or under LEOSA. :rolleyes:

USAFRavenR6

Apr 7, 2012
    Mur-land

You actually are required to report foreign travel for kidnapping reasons. Upon reporting, safety briefs as well as useful information is passed to cleared individuals pertaining to American embassy as well. Its not required in the states because you would have to report it non stop. I also think you are putting a little too much credit in our government in terms of foreign nations working deals with cleared employees. Aldrich Ames as well as Edward Snowden comes to mind with the damage they caused as a result.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    So why can't people with clearances just take the class and get the handgun permit? Geez, the govt trusts them with national secrets, but not a firearm? Tell me how that makes sense? Oh, that's right it's MD.

Prior to the law allowing retired police to carry, I met a man who had retired from the Secret Service. He used to bemoan the fact that 8 or so hours a day he could carry a gun next to the President and even drive the President places while armed. Once he punched out and went home to Kent Island, MD didn't consider him trustworthy enough to carry a pistol to the grocery store.

USAFRavenR6

Apr 7, 2012
    Mur-land
    Prior to the law allowing retired police to carry, I met a man who had retired from the Secret Service. He used to bemoan the fact that 8 or so hours a day he could carry a gun next to the President and even drive the President places while armed. Once he punched out and went home to Kent Island, MD didn't consider him trustworthy enough to carry a pistol to the grocery store.

Thats amazing. The logic applied there is nothing short of astounding.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    You actually are required to report foreign travel for kidnapping reasons. Upon reporting, safety briefs as well as useful information is passed to cleared individuals pertaining to American embassy as well. Its not required in the states because you would have to report it non stop. I also think you are putting a little too much credit in our government in terms of foreign nations working deals with cleared employees. Aldrich Ames as well as Edward Snowden comes to mind with the damage they caused as a result.

Not sure what you're talking about. I was responding to DA.
    If a clearance was G&S because of the threat of kidnapping, then why hasn't anyone here in the states(Maryland) with a clearance been kidnapped?
    I'm not talking about overseas travel. I'm very well versed about that.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    My point is that there is already a pathway to use a clearance of TS or better as your G&S to get a CCW in MD. Not everybody is LE and can carry off duty or under LEOSA. :rolleyes:

What I am saying is if having that clearance raises the chance of being kidnapped, then why doesn't it happen? Or even has happened in the states here? And specifically Maryland? A clearance is so far from G&S.
    Maybe if there have been cleared people having been kidnapped over the years, but there hasn't been. And I'm pretty sure it isn't going to start now because of this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom