• ...and so much more!

Votes: 2 100.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Squad40

$240 worth of pudding
    Mar 28, 2009
    Picked up my Saiga 12 from Scott's yesterday. Chad did a fantastic job. Well work the wait.

IMG_20110709_140838.jpg

cogcon

COGCON
    MDS Supporter
    Chopped Stevens 77C

Had an extra 12 gauge sitting around and decided to get it shortened for a home defense model. barrel looks great and the bead is nicely centered. Blasted it a few times last week. A+ work at a fair price!

zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    Great experience at Scotts Both buying and Smithing

No, there's no rhyme or reason to my capitalization.

In the last month I've purchased a PLR-16 from Scott's and had him/Chad do some work on my Ruger MKIII.

My Ruger wasn't ejecting, I mean 3-5 FTEs per magazine. Chad diagnosed my problem over the internet: worn out ejector, factory extractor. I put my gun in their shop just before they stopped accepting orders so I knew the wait would be a while. Completely fine, I have no idea how long it actually took as I had forgotten about the gun and every time they called I ended up saying "well...let's do this too!"

What started out as an ejector replacement ended up being a threaded barrel with thread protector and front site moved (looks amazing), replaced ejector with rivet, VQ extractor, VQ firing pin and a quick polish to take off some scuffs that had been on the gun since I bought it. Oh, and an impulse buy PLR-16.

I took both on vacation to the mountains last week. Scott's work on my MKIII returned it to near perfect. In 400 rounds I had one fail to fire. It was a dud round though, the striker mark was most definitely there. Once I figure out what to do with the trigger I'll be returning to Scott to have the trigger tuned and that gun will pretty much be finished.

The PLR-16...ugh. My experience with Scott's for the purchase was smooth. I came in half an hour til close, paid cash and filled out the paperwork in about 15 minutes. Seven days later the gun and a single point sling were mine.

-----THE FOLLOWING IS NOT A REFLECTION ON SCOTT'S-----

Now I have an email into KelTec. I was understandably excited for this gun...it's freakin' cool. I walked off into the woods with a 30 round mag in tow, picked a stump that looked like he might have done something wrong and blasted away. By which I mean, BOOM!click. Hrmmm...well it is Wolf ammo, maybe the primer sucked. I checked the bolt and lo and behold, there wasn't a round chambered. Yanking back on the bolt it clunked another round into battery, and I do mean clunked. The action was rough and bindy. BOOM!click. WTF? Now the bolt had sorta stripped another round and it was hung up on the feed ramp sorta? Slammed it into battery...BOOM!click. Grrrrrrrrrrr.

I grabbed my AR to check the magazine...BANG!BANG!BANG!BANG!BANG!BANG! Mag works. So I grabbed another magazine. Same shit different shovel. In about 40 attempts it cycled twice once. But mostly it just hung up in different ways on the next round. Even without ammo in the magazine, the bolt feels anything but smooth.

Also, I had two primers in my Wolf ammo that were seated sideways in 1000. My AR started hanging up after about 200 rounds of rapid fire, read "watch this!" pulled the trigger as fast as I could to shoot at a floating log. "Now you try!" x 5 people. It was burning hot to the touch. A shot of remoil and it was right back to fine. Not sure if this is a commentary on the ammo or the gun. Either way, I'm fine with Wolf as plinking/teaching/accurate-enough ammo but will stock brass as SHTF ammo.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Much Thanks to Chad and Scott

I brought in a Springfield Armory 1911 to Scott's a couple of months ago as a last ditch effort to keep from using it as a crab trap weight. I bought it used and without going into alot of detail, lets just say I really thought the gun was cursed. Erratic accuracy, failures to feed, eject, just the most frustrating thing I had dealt with in a long time.

I got a call from Chad. Seems the locking lugs on the slide and barrel had been "polished" (read ground down). I bought this gun used, I was the third owner. After talking with Chad and going over the various options it was decided that a new slide and barrel were in order for a proper exorcism to be done.

I called Springfield Armory and they would not sell a slide and barrel outright, I was going to have to send the whole thing back. They provided me with an RMA number and I sent it off, I just got it back a few days ago and had my first trip to the range. Damn thing runs like a champ now, I never would have thought it was possible for this gun to make me smile but I was grinning like a teenager who just got his first piece of a$$!!!!!

This should be a double shout out, Springfield Armory didn't charge me a dime for the repair!!!

So, thank you to Chad and Scott for diagnosing and noticing a problem that another shop failed to notice and just being all around good guys. It's nice to have a small business and a large business treat you like a longtime valued customer.

:beer:

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I brought in a Springfield Armory 1911 to Scott's a couple of months ago as a last ditch effort to keep from using it as a crab trap weight. I bought it used and without going into alot of detail, lets just say I really thought the gun was cursed. Erratic accuracy, failures to feed, eject, just the most frustrating thing I had dealt with in a long time.

I got a call from Chad. Seems the locking lugs on the slide and barrel had been "polished" (read ground down). I bought this gun used, I was the third owner. After talking with Chad and going over the various options it was decided that a new slide and barrel were in order for a proper exorcism to be done.

I called Springfield Armory and they would not sell a slide and barrel outright, I was going to have to send the whole thing back. They provided me with an RMA number and I sent it off, I just got it back a few days ago and had my first trip to the range. Damn thing runs like a champ now, I never would have thought it was possible for this gun to make me smile but I was grinning like a teenager who just got his first piece of a$$!!!!!

This should be a double shout out, Springfield Armory didn't charge me a dime for the repair!!!

So, thank you to Chad and Scott for diagnosing and noticing a problem that another shop failed to notice and just being all around good guys. It's nice to have a small business and a large business treat you like a longtime valued customer.

:beer:

Im glad things worked out my friend. Im glad you didnt have to dish out anything. VERY NICE. :)

Im very suprised S.A. fixed it for free. Someone definately hacked it up bad and they didnt have to warranty it.

Anytime I can save someone cash Im going to do it.

Last edited by a moderator:

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    I'm surprised as well that SA fixed it up. I need to post a "good on 'em thread" in the water cooler maybe? Or the handguns section?

Either way, I appreciate it. I may be heading up to Scott's tomorrow too. I have a couple Remington 788's that I would like to have a go/no go gauge dropped in to check headspace. I got them off line and put scopes on them but wen't to check them out at the range and it seemed like it they needed more force than usual to close the bolt. Neither one of them would throw the empties clear either. Like to get them checked out before going to Maine to bear hunt.

axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    Stopped by today to have an 1892 Winchester lever-action looked at and an estimate on my RRA upper to have a scuff in the barrel cleaned up. I didn't get a chance to meet Clandestine, maybe next time but the fella I talked to took his time with me, was very friendly and gave me all the information I needed to decide on what/when to do with the work.

While my Dad decided not to do the restoration yet, I certainly found the place to go when I want additional work done on any of my other arms. Very good service and fair/honest pricing information.

Much abliged gentlemen!

jhartmac

Jan 7, 2007
    Virginia/maryland
    Sights for my P228

Thanks guys for a great job, I also picked up a side saddle for my 930spx and a light laser combo for my FNP 45.............Highly recommend these guys.......

zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    I troubleshot the issues and have let Zombiehunter know whats up. Ill let him post an update once he gets my P.M. :)

Seems it's actually the mags. I have about a dozen 20 round C-Product and half a dozen D&H 30s. They're apparently too rough and the bolt is hanging up on them. They worked in my AR because the bolt is heavier and the spring is stronger and it's all "honey badger don't care" and jams it in there.

We're discussing now what to do :)

Again:
    NOT SCOTT'S FAULT and they're doing a wonderful job of straightening everything out.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    CHAD (CLANDESTINE)...Heres to You!!

Without going into a lot of details, I just want to relate that Scott is one stand up guy.

I ran into a situation where one of his employees made a major screw up on something and put everyone concerned in an awkward position.

Scott was looking at being out of a good chunk of money because of the problem and could have easily made the problem mine to deal with, but he sat right down at his desk and wrote me a check without blinking an eye.

It just reinforces the quality treatment I've always gotten there and also shows that our Industry Partners as a whole almost always go the extra mile to take care of their customers and make things right.

Thanks Scott.

2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    Good to hear, although I'm sure anyone who's ever patronized Scott's isn't surprised. :thumbsup:

zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    I'm a fan of Chad and Scott and I'm pretty sure they're the only people there I'll do business with. I'm glad they got you straightened out.

I had a great experience with Scott when buying my PLR-16 and a great experience with Chad when it wouldn't work (complete mag issue, addressed in at least 2 other threads). They diagnosed my problem and showed me how to fix it. My cost? $0. What did I end up doing? Spending $250 on other goodies :) What will I end up doing? Spending another $2k in there to EITHER Scott or Chad for another PLR-16 and my STI Spartans x 2.

+a lot for Scott's! (and I think everyone here knows I'm a big shop at walmart and the internet guy)

Wynter

Jul 27, 2010
    Sykesville, MD
    Great work on my AK-47!!!

Clandestine / Chad did a superb job on my AK-47 yesterday!!!! I was unable to remove the stock slant flash hider from the barrel. Chad was able to remove it and replace it with the Tapco model that I had bought. Thanks again and it was great meeting you!!! Thanks to the crew at Scotts Gunsmithing as well!!!

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    I talked to Tony on the phone a few days ago. He remembered who I was and conversation we had and I haven't stepped foot in Scotts store in at least eight months, probably closer to a year. I appreciated that. :) Scotts currently has a SBR of mine. They noticed a paperwork mistake on my part, notified me and we got it all cleared up ASAP and with smiles.

RDF5186

Feb 26, 2012
    HARFORD CO
    CHAD (CLANDESTINE)...Heres to You!!

So after my Upper Troubles :tdown:, I hit up Chad at Scotts Gunsmithing for advice and help.......

Chad was more then willing and eager to assist in getting me up and running!

I dropped off my gun on a Friday and had a great time talking with Tony and the other customers (regulars).

Through the next week, Chad had done a miracle and turned my POS upper into a what it was suppossed to be!! The service and expertise of Chad and the other guys at Scotts Gunsmithing is the best of the best! Quality work and Great service should be an example for all business to follow. If you have any issues with your weapon I highly recommend Chad at Scotts Gunsmithing in Glen Burnie.

Weapons are something that when you need it to operate, it should operate without fail. Treat your gun like a child, take it to Chad for a check up and I assure you that you wont be dissappointed with the results!

I know am in the final stages, and cant wait to put a picture of my new "child" on the board!

I am thinking Scotts will be my new Saturday stop off point on my way into work, just to say Hi!! Its that kind of place!

Thanks again Chad for all of your help!! You guys will have my business for life!!

Keep up the good fight!

:party29:

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Beautiful! Chad does great work. I just wish he wasn't so far away!

Chad and Scott's Gunsmithing. Move closer please.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom