• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gaskg

Jan 5, 2010
    Forest Hill
    Finally deciding on my scope for my 10/22 takedown. I'm going to either put a 2 x 7 or 3 x 9 leupold vx 1 on it. Anyone have experience with either of these combos? I'm wondering if the 3 x 9 will still fit in the factory bag. Thanks!

El Patron Grande

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    El Patron Grande says:

Call me a cheap pendejo, but I'm one that is not about to blow muchos dolares on outfitting a rimfire rifle, in my case the basic 10/22 carbine that I got for $215 just 4 years ago.

I ended up splurging $63 and got an Alpen model #2040 KODIAK Riflescope 3-9X32 wide angle and attached it with AccuShot Picatinny/Weaver Medium Profile 2-piece 1-inch Rings.
    Cheap. Reliable. Robust. Accurate enough.

El Patron Grande is not swimming in gringo pesos.:innocent0

silver78

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2009
    Finally deciding on my scope for my 10/22 takedown. I'm going to either put a 2 x 7 or 3 x 9 leupold vx 1 on it. Anyone have experience with either of these combos? I'm wondering if the 3 x 9 will still fit in the factory bag. Thanks!

While I think Leupold offers a quality product why would you consider either of these scopes for a 22? These are not rimfire scopes.

I think a better match for a TD would be a Redfield TAC22. Keep in mind that Leupold owns the Redfield brand so you still get the great warranty coverage. Good luck whatever scope you choose.

http://www.redfield.com/_media/downloads/BattleZone_TAC22_2_7x34.pdf

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I don't run rimfire scopes on any of my rimfire rifles.

Most rimfire scopes are dumbed down scopes and cheaply made.

You can get a nice real scope for not much more.

I have Simmons on two rimfires, Midway BSA Tactical on another, and a Millett 1-4x on another. Only "rimfire" scope I own is a Weaver V22 that was given to me on a Marlin 99C. It works, but is really a no frills scope.

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    Good scopes won't fit in factory bag attached to stock. You need a good set of disconnect rings for scope to get back to zero quickly and consistently. I have mine set up with Luepold disconnect rings. I can re-zero fast with them as not off by much when reassemble.

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    If you can wait a bit, Primary Arms has a 6x scope with .22lr version of their Bullet Drop Compensation reticle: ACSS coming out. It'll have .22lr bullet drops out to two hundred yards. It's also a ranging reticle that allows you to get accurate ranges off of: 1. A coke can, 2. A Beer Bottle, 3. Clay Pigeons. There are of course small game equivalents to those ranging items.

-Jim

gaskg

Jan 5, 2010
    Forest Hill
    While I think Leupold offers a quality product why would you consider either of these scopes for a 22? These are not rimfire scopes.

I think a better match for a TD would be a Redfield TAC22. Keep in mind that Leupold owns the Redfield brand so you still get the great warranty coverage. Good luck whatever scope you choose.

http://www.redfield.com/_media/downloads/BattleZone_TAC22_2_7x34.pdf

The Leupold VX 1 scopes are designed to be used on rimfire rifles. http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/scopes/rimfireultralight-riflescopes/vx-1-rimfire-2-7x28mm/

silver78

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2009
    OP - My apologies. I did not know that Leupold offers a 3x9 vx1 rimfire scope so I assumed you were considering non-rimfire scopes for your rifle. This is the only list of rimfire models I was able to find on the Leupold site:

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/scopes/rimfireultralight-riflescopes/

Responding to another comment about rimfire rifle scopes: "Most rimfire scopes are dumbed down scopes and cheaply made."

This is certainly true. There are some real trashy cheap rimfire scopes on the market today. But if the OP buys any of the Leupold scopes he's considering (or any other rimfire scope made by Leupold) he's buying a quality product. In fact I would go as far as to say he's spending more on the scope than is needed for a stock 10/22. But better to overspend on high quality than underspend on crap.

Personally for me a rimfire scope from Redfield or Weaver hits the quality/price point that I can afford for most of my rimfire rifles.

DocAitch

Jun 22, 2011
    North of Baltimore
    Any comments/experience on the Vortec Crossfire II 2-7x Rimfire scopes?
    I purchased one on a whim and have several candidates for mounting, among them a 10/22 TD
    DocAitch

Last edited:

Merlin593

Mar 29, 2013
    Towson, MD
    I've got a nikon pro staff 3x9x40 rimfire with BDC reticle on my takedown with QD rings.
    It will really won't fit into the bag unless you take the scope off.
    Holds 0 really well after reattaching scope as well as reconnecting the 2 pieces of the gun.

Ragnar

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2013
    Berkeley Springs, WV
    I put a cheap Chinese scope on my 10/22 TD. The scope itself is passable. The problem I have is that it's hard to get a good cheek hold on the stock with the height of the scope and mount. I'm looking for a new stock with an adjustable comb and length of pull.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    I put a 3 x 9 Bushnell Banner on my takedown. I used off set mounts so I could move the scope back. I was able to keep the front of the scope even with the takedown joint. It fits into the bag perfectly. It took me a couple of tries to come up with the right combo of scope and rings to do this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom