• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    My only shotgun expierence, a old over/under 22mag/20guage and a j.c. Higgins 12gauge. I have shot my buddies 870, mossburg 500 and an old hitchai. Im thinking i wanna get my own, my inherited j.c higgins is sweet but i want a newer one i can get parts for, plus its got more sentimental value that i dont wanna use it too much. Anyway i wanna start learning about shotguns, what to look for, good, bad?? I like the mossburg 500, i also like that its cheap. Walmart has one for under 300, its a slug gun though. I dont know if it comes with any chokes or another barrel. I also dont know crap about different chokes...so ahhh school away please :D

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    Mossberg 500 or Rem 870 . you can buy the base gun and get whatever barrels you want for what ever job it is to do that day .

That said I have both and prefer the Mossberg as it is lighter and the controls are easier in my opinion to manipulate.

Both have a equal amount of bolt on toy options

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    IMHO Mossie 500. For me, easier to load.

u do lose out that extra shell when switching over compared to the 870's where you can just rack it halfway, push the shell in the mag tube forward past the stops, then rack it the rest of the way to eject the chambered shell. Makes it nice for retaining capacity when switching to slugs from buckshot for longer shots in a tactical setup.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Purpose: trapp, maybe hunting(deer if i get into it), home defense Price: under 450
    Just want a pump, i like the relieabilty, they are generally cheaper, easy to work with

Also as a toy, had some free space a buddy and i were shooting logs and stuff with different loads, just having fun, something i can toy with. So i do want something that has a high cap, or the ability to become high cap.

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    Purpose: trapp, maybe hunting(deer if i get into it), home defense Price: under 450
    Just want a pump, i like the relieabilty, they are generally cheaper, easy to work with

Mossberg 500 combo with slug barrel and vent rib with chokes, then you can get a 18.5 barrel for home defense. Barrel swap out in about 15 seconds.

Aug 2, 2007
    Harford County

I'm a big fan of Mossberg, but the Remington is an excellent choice as well. Between the two it boils down to ergonomics for me. I like the position of the slide release and safety on the Mossberg over the Remington.

Both offer numerous barrels for any application. Barrel changes are quick and painless in either platform.

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    As others have said, but I would get a rifled slug barrel. This will be a little more up front but what you gain you will be more then happy with.

Slug barrels are for hunting deer with slugs. Personally I would only look for a riffled slug barrel with open, iron sights to keep it simple for starters.

You need a small game barrel. Smooth bore with a vented rib. This should have screw in chokes. Full, modified, and cylinder chokes are a good start. chokes control the bird shot pattern coming out of the barrel. Think of a cone shape pattern of bird shot coming out of the barrel. Chokes control the size or spreed of this cone. A tighter pattern will travel farther. These barrels are 28 to 30 inches long

A 18.5 inch barrel is the shortest barrel one can get legally and is for home defense. The shorter barrel will allow you to move easy in a house. They will also cause the bird shot to be a very large cone, a very wide spreed coming out of the barrel.

This is just a quick little schooling on shotguns. google each point for more detailed info.

For your first pump the moss 500 sounds like it will fit your price range. Have fun building a customized shot gun.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Cant beat a mossy, only thing the remington buys you is a steel reciever. Its nice to have but adds weight and chances are unless you are the king of shotguns you are not going to wear out the receiver of the Mossberg.

If you are looking at vintage, the old Ithacas used to be fantastic. I have one in .20 gauge.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    The regular stock and grip can be swapped out for a pistol grip amd collapsible stock right? Also isnt there something that allows you to make the magazine longer to hold more shells? This is another concern of mine, i dont want to buy something that i cant play with, it sounds like the mossburg can, i just want to be sure.

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    The regular stock and grip can be swapped out for a pistol grip amd collapsible stock right? Also isnt there something that allows you to make the magazine longer to hold more shells? This is another concern of mine, i dont want to buy something that i cant play with, it sounds like the mossburg can, i just want to be sure.

If you get a Mossberg 500 I have a box of parts that are extra stock,pistol grips and what not .

Mossberg 500s cannot have an extension tube put on then they are 6 shot 5in tube one in chamber

they do make a 8 shot but finding barrels other then a smooth bore HD can be problamatic

Rem 870s you can add extensions to they are 5 shot 4 in tube 1 in chamber.

Mossberg barrels from what ive seen are gerneraly cheaper price wise and more readily available localy . and they also make them for remington.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    If you get a Mossberg 500 I have a box of parts that are extra stock,pistol grips and what not .

Mossberg 500s cannot have an extension tube put on then they are 6 shot 5in tube one in chamber

they do make a 8 shot but finding barrels other then a smooth bore HD can be problamatic

Rem 870s you can add extensions to they are 5 shot 4 in tube 1 in chamber.

Mossberg barrels from what ive seen are gerneraly cheaper price wise and more readily available localy . and they also make them for remington.

So the mossberg already holds a decent amount of shells.

I believe this is the one I want:
    http://mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=3&section=products

The 500 12 gauge, 28" barrel matte blue finish black synthetic stock.

It looks like the most basic one which is what I want to start with. Plus I believe that is the same one my buddy has that I shot. Cant that barrel be used for trap? Thats its main purpose as of now.

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    So the mossberg already holds a decent amount of shells.

I believe this is the one I want:
    http://mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=3&section=products

The 500 12 gauge, 28" barrel matte blue finish black synthetic stock.

It looks like the most basic one which is what I want to start with. Plus I believe that is the same one my buddy has that I shot. Cant that barrel be used for trap? Thats its main purpose as of now.

You can go to Dicks , Bass pro, Walmart they usualy carry the combos they come with a 28" vent rib and either a slug barrel or a 18.5 HD barrel . the ones with the HD barrel come with a pistol grip as well as the full stock .

Personaly I would get the one with the rifled slug barrel if you plan on deer hunting with it and get the 18.5 extra . if your not doing any deer hunting get the one with the HD barrel .

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    The one you posted a link to is a nice gun.

If that's what you want!

This is what I see wrong with it

1) it is set up for a Turkey Gun
    2) it is camo. Finding add on parts to match the camo will cost big coins if you can find them to match

From what you have said you kind of want something to hunt with and build up.

Go find the basic moss 500 in black synthetic stock. This will be next to nothing in cost.

Blued barrels are easy to find for next to nothing. For extra ammo put a side saddle on it.

If you want a pistol grip short barrel house gun then a pistol grip will match the forearm that is all ready on the gun.

Stay away from specialty guns unless that is what you want to use it for.
    as others have said the most bang for the buck is a moss 500 maverick.

I did the same thing with my first shot gun. It was fun and like a big boy Erector Set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom