• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    The one you posted a link to is a nice gun.

If that's what you want!

This is what I see wrong with it

1) it is set up for a Turkey Gun
    2) it is camo. Finding add on parts to match the camo will cost big coins if you can find them to match

From what you have said you kind of want something to hunt with and build up.

Go find the basic moss 500 in black synthetic stock. This will be next to nothing in cost.

Blued barrels are easy to find for next to nothing. For extra ammo put a side saddle on it.

If you want a pistol grip short barrel house gun then a pistol grip will match the forearm that is all ready on the gun.

Stay away from specialty guns unless that is what you want to use it for.
    as others have said the most bang for the buck is a moss 500 maverick.

I did the same thing with my first shot gun. It was fun and like a big boy Erector Set.

:thumbsup: this

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Opps...i tried to post the link for te regular black synthetic stock. Not the caml turkey gun lol, guess it didnt work. But yeah i ment the plain, basic black 12g one

The one you posted a link to is a nice gun.

If that's what you want!

This is what I see wrong with it

1) it is set up for a Turkey Gun
    2) it is camo. Finding add on parts to match the camo will cost big coins if you can find them to match

From what you have said you kind of want something to hunt with and build up.

Go find the basic moss 500 in black synthetic stock. This will be next to nothing in cost.

Blued barrels are easy to find for next to nothing. For extra ammo put a side saddle on it.

If you want a pistol grip short barrel house gun then a pistol grip will match the forearm that is all ready on the gun.

Stay away from specialty guns unless that is what you want to use it for.
    as others have said the most bang for the buck is a moss 500 maverick.

I did the same thing with my first shot gun. It was fun and like a big boy Erector Set.

HardHatMan

FBHO
    Jul 14, 2009
    Virginia
    As others have said, but I would get a rifled slug barrel. This will be a little more up front but what you gain you will be more then happy with.

Slug barrels are for hunting deer with slugs. Personally I would only look for a riffled slug barrel with open, iron sights to keep it simple for starters.

You need a small game barrel. Smooth bore with a vented rib. This should have screw in chokes. Full, modified, and cylinder chokes are a good start. chokes control the bird shot pattern coming out of the barrel. Think of a cone shape pattern of bird shot coming out of the barrel. Chokes control the size or spreed of this cone. A tighter pattern will travel farther. These barrels are 28 to 30 inches long

A 18.5 inch barrel is the shortest barrel one can get legally and is for home defense. The shorter barrel will allow you to move easy in a house. They will also cause the bird shot to be a very large cone, a very wide spreed coming out of the barrel.

This is just a quick little schooling on shotguns. google each point for more detailed info.

For your first pump the moss 500 sounds like it will fit your price range. Have fun building a customized shot gun.

Good advice. But please, do not use birdshot as a HD load. Birdshot is made to take down small birds. Get slugs or buckshot.

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    Good advice. But please, do not use birdshot as a HD load. Birdshot is made to take down small birds. Get slugs or buckshot.

:thumbsup:

You are right

I was trying to keep things simple seeing how he wanted to be schooled.

My HD shot gun is a youth model 20 gauge loaded with Buck shoot.

It handles well in the house.

#9 shot is the smallest
    #4 shot is bigger then #4
    Buck Shot is even larger then #4
    slugs are about an ounce of lead in a big bullet

Hope that helps

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    870 has a safety you can use with a pistol grip, the 500 you have to move your hand to get the safety. You can't easily add more capacity to the 500, you can with the 870. The 870's pump rattles a LOT less than the 500, which is important if you're walking through the woods for deer. A stock 500 is a great shotgun if you leave it alone. If you want to do stuff to your shotgun, get the 870.

Jim

gatorDennis

Aug 9, 2012
    Florida
    I've been looking at this site & haven't found a post yet for what I need. Please redirect me if ne exists.
    I want to add a pistol grip to a 870 to help me support it & make it more comfortable (I have physical limits), hopefully with out swapping out the stock (cost) or changing the angle. I am not looking to use an AR style stock or make it look tactical.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    I've been looking at this site & haven't found a post yet for what I need. Please redirect me if ne exists.
    I want to add a pistol grip to a 870 to help me support it & make it more comfortable (I have physical limits), hopefully with out swapping out the stock (cost) or changing the angle. I am not looking to use an AR style stock or make it look tactical.

There are a plethora of stock offerings out there including folding AR style stocks out there but they all alter the appearance from a standard 870. My wrists are fused so pistol grip stocks are a handicap adaptation.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown

Look up a company called Speedfeed they make a kit that adds a PG to a conventional shotgun stock.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC

The 870 Blackhawk Knoxx Specops stock is a quality piece, I have used one extensively. The camo version does not look tactical, IMHO. There is great functionality considering the price. Firstly it has the pistol grip you want, the stock length of pull is adjustable for a perfect fit, and it has recoil reduction so you can shoot 12 gauge all day with no sore shoulder.

I do not mean to sound like I am selling them, because I am only a happy customer. The only downside is sometime I cannot get a solid cheek weld. I believe they make a modular cheek piece to fix that.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Some people complain that the Knoxx stocks slap their face ... watched some videos of the complainers on YouTube ... they consistently put their faces too close to the back of the receiver ... its a shotgun for goodness sake, not a .22. Apparently the Knoxx converts more of the kick to rise at the back (in addition to the springs spreading the energy out in time) to reduce the apparent recoil.

If you get a Knoxx and it slaps your cheek, move your face back, you are too close. Its that simple.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Some people complain that the Knoxx stocks slap their face ... watched some videos of the complainers on YouTube ... they consistently put their faces too close to the back of the receiver ... its a shotgun for goodness sake, not a .22. Apparently the Knoxx converts more of the kick to rise at the back (in addition to the springs spreading the energy out in time) to reduce the apparent recoil.

If you get a Knoxx and it slaps your cheek, move your face back, you are too close. Its that simple.

Yes! Everyone cries about this. Like you said, it's that simple, just relocate your face. Those stocks are very nice.

wlc

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    Mossburg 590 is a great gun
    I like it much better than the 500

beafly.cakes

My humble opinion...

I have a 500 with a Blackhawk Knox. It does a great job of taming recoil but...

The 500 is not ideal with a pistol grip stock. The safety isn't accessible. The slide release isnt accessible. The same shotgun with a hunting stock is just fine.

The 870 does not have these problems.

For what it's worth, if I was buying my HD shotgun again, it would be a 590 with hunting stock and ghost ring sights

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    In my opinion with shotguns, less is more. Tactical this and tactical that. Whatever you use best you should get but try the shotgun bare bones first before magpuling it out. My HD shotgun is an 870 express magnum with an 18" police barrel. No special accessories. I MIGHT add a tube extender.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    In my opinion with shotguns, less is more. Tactical this and tactical that. Whatever you use best you should get but try the shotgun bare bones first before magpuling it out. My HD shotgun is an 870 express magnum with an 18" police barrel. No special accessories. I MIGHT add a tube extender.

^^^:thumbsup:

I ran across the deal of a lifetime at Cabela's one day, $300 for a Remington 870 Synthetic w/18.5 inch barrel (HD model I guess), that followed me home that day. Yea, the Benelli Nova needed a friend. I haven't Magpuled it out although if I do anything it will most likely be a side saddle and tube extension from Choate.

shekshishekki

Mar 5, 2012
    Mt. Airy walmart is selling the Remington 870 Express Synthetic for $300. Low cost for a super reliable shotty :)

No point in dishing out a ton of money if its just a HD weapon. If you're looking for a trap shooter then you'll need a longer barrel and maybe some modified chokes.

Start low and get used to a shotty first...you can't go wrong with the 870.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    One other thing to consider. If a shorter barrel will be your only barrel it shoukd be a smooth bore. A rifled barrel will scatter shot away from the bite centerline in as little as no hits at 10 yards. Been there, done that.

I've have/had a few shotguns, nothing fancy. If you are looking at a 'games' gun/blaster, the one I have which I like the most is the Mossy 18" smoothbore 500 Persuader. 8 shot, good mechanics and accuracy, synthetic furniture and wad $349 out the door.

gatorDennis

Aug 9, 2012
    Florida
    Thanks to all for the replies. I didn't make myself clear, probably because it can't be done. I want to add a pistol grip to my existing stock, not replace it. I want to keep my original stock on the gun & only add a pistol grip to it. Speedfeed had a pistol grip that eliminated the stock entirely, not what I want.
    I apparently want to do strange things. Add pistol grip to original shotgun stock (not pistol grip only or replace stock); add a VFG to an AK that doesn't have a rail (not add rail or new forearm); I gave up on folders for shotgun & AK due to cost for a quality one.
    I should have waited to buy the items in the configuration I wanted but they were not available when I bought them & the way times are I did not want to wait.
    VOTE!!!!

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    Thanks to all for the replies. I didn't make myself clear, probably because it can't be done. I want to add a pistol grip to my existing stock, not replace it. I want to keep my original stock on the gun & only add a pistol grip to it. Speedfeed had a pistol grip that eliminated the stock entirely, not what I want.
    I apparently want to do strange things. Add pistol grip to original shotgun stock (not pistol grip only or replace stock); add a VFG to an AK that doesn't have a rail (not add rail or new forearm); I gave up on folders for shotgun & AK due to cost for a quality one.
    I should have waited to buy the items in the configuration I wanted but they were not available when I bought them & the way times are I did not want to wait.
    VOTE!!!!
    Thread hijack. You mean a forward vertical grip?

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/SHT-081

Pretty sure you cannot add a pistol grip to the existing rear stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom