• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    The Search button in the top menu bar of the forums can be your friend here - do a search on HBAR and plenty of topics will come up to provide a baseline of research.

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    whats the difference between a regular AR-15 and a HBAR? why is one regulated and one un-regulated? thanks in advance for any and all answers!

Someone will be along to answer the question. Just remember not to try to make sense out of Maryland's laws....

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008

Attachments

• DSCN0032.jpg
      DSCN0032.jpg
      54.7 KB · Views: 334

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Any chance you could mount that on a Segway? That would be one hell of a killing machine. Oh, sorry, I mean unregulated target and competition firearm.

Yes, but it looked better mounted on the mini-cooper as a technical vehicle.

Attachments

• 336281_3747592724442_1601576124_o.jpg
      336281_3747592724442_1601576124_o.jpg
      71.4 KB · Views: 315

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    I believe Maryland's logic (which shouldn't be confused with regular logic) was that a regular AR-15 is a baby killing self-guided assault weapon that kills, and an HBAR is a target rifle used exclusively for paper shooting.

Probably some kind of back-room "deal".....

Echo

Troublemaker
    Oct 31, 2012
    Annapolis
    ? If your talking about an HBAR weighing more than a regulated AR-15, I've got a regulated AR 20" that weighs more than my HBAR 16" not by much but it is more.

Its something to do with the Colt HBAR being for marksmanship matches. The heavier barrels are more accurate for sporting.

midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    Colt competition HBAR was the preferred firearm of match shooters at the time the list was written. Many shooters in these sanctioned matches were under the age of 21. To make those rifles regulated would have made it illegal for shooters under 21 to purchase and own their sporting rifles to participate in organized matches. To keep the peace with the NRA, MSP agreed to the HBAR exemption. Now, under current interpretation any AR with a heavy barrel is considered nonregulated.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Colt competition HBAR was the preferred firearm of match shooters at the time the list was written. Many shooters in these sanctioned matches were under the age of 21. To make those rifles regulated would have made it illegal for shooters under 21 to purchase and own their sporting rifles to participate in organized matches. To keep the peace with the NRA, MSP agreed to the HBAR exemption. Now, under current interpretation any AR with a heavy barrel is considered nonregulated.

This is your answer. I wish this post could be made a sticky or something.

The "Regulated List" reflects the situation about 25 years ago. Back then, there weren't 43 different manufacturers offering 1217 variations on AR type rifles. My 1987 Gun Digest lists only four ARs, all made by Colt. There was an A2 style rifle, a carbine, a 9mm carbine, and the HBAR. The first three were designed as Poodle Killing Machines, while the HBAR was useless for anything but shooting paper in rigorously organized and regulated competitions.

JDH146

jdh146
    Dec 26, 2009
    This is your answer. I wish this post could be made a sticky or something.

The "Regulated List" reflects the situation about 25 years ago. Back then, there weren't 43 different manufacturers offering 1217 variations on AR type rifles. My 1987 Gun Digest lists only four ARs, all made by Colt. There was an A2 style rifle, a carbine, a 9mm carbine, and the HBAR. The first three were designed as Poodle Killing Machines, while the HBAR was useless for anything but shooting paper in rigorously organized and regulated competitions.

FFL's have different opinions on what an H-Bar is and may want to sell what you think is unregulated as regulated. If you disagree with their opinion, either accept it or look elsewhere . Their shop-Their rule. Arguing your opinion is a waste of time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom