• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    Perhaps CC states will get really bold and start to teach firearms safety and marksmanship training in grade school...:shocked2:

Some Guy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 26, 2017
    The details of that should be interesting. There's already a robust network of instructors in SC and the one day class is inexpensive, at least mine was. Hopefully the state will contract with some of them regionally to offer it.

There's no provision currently to wave the training except the shooting qualification part for active duty armed services, instructors, etc. I went through the whole class. Lordy, half the class I was in could barely keep it on the paper. IMHO the reps who wanted the keep the training part likely knew that which is why I like the compromise of free training.
    Thanks for the added information based on actual experiences.

I hope they have local instructors provide the training. It'll keep costs low for everyone if they let local businesses do the work.

It just makes sense to offer anyone free firearm safety training.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    If one more of yoos say “Free”-blah blah blah one more time, I’m gonna plotz! :facepalm:

There ain’t no “free” shit! :smack:
    Exactly. The state shouldn't be providing a MF thing regarding training. (or permits but that's a different battle) NO mandated training. NO state provided training. NO training requirement whatsoever. JFC

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    No Charge to Recipient
    Indirect charge to recipient by way of taxes laundered through an inefficient bureaucracy with huge overhead that thus requires even more taxes to badly push some portion of that money towards the “no charge” service. It would be cheaper to directly pay for the instruction time and cut the ravenous government middleman out of the loop.

P-12 Norm

Why be normal?
    Sep 9, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    Perhaps CC states will get really bold and start to teach firearms safety and marksmanship training in grade school...:shocked2:
    Back in the day of Spendening, we ALMOST had it here in MD. It was supported by the NRA AND the Brady Campaign, and went thru both houses in Annapolis, but numbnuts vetoed it, and the MGA decided not to challenge.

Jake4U

Now with 67% more FJB
    Sep 1, 2018
    No Charge to Recipient
    It's kinda hopeless trying to convince some people that state provided firearms training might be a good thing. For people who couldn't otherwise afford a basic pistol class (see my prior comments about people in my SC class who probably won't hit what they're aiming at under stress) to receive that training at no cost is a good thing for the community. An armed, trained citizen is worth way more than an officer ten minutes away when seconds count.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    An armed, trained citizen is worth way more than an officer ten minutes away when seconds count.
    Certainly worth a small fortune to his defense attorney; also providing job security and perhaps a notch in his "conviction" stick for the prosecutor.

Jake4U

Now with 67% more FJB
    Sep 1, 2018
    Certainly worth a small fortune to his defense attorney; also providing job security and perhaps a notch in his "conviction" stick for the prosecutor.

A trained CCW holder will have been taught the laws that pertain to carrying as well as becoming more aware of the dynamics of a self defense decision when someone does use their firearm. Likely these two will reduce the possibility of prison. The other is moving out of a blue state to somewhere like SC where you're less likely to run into a woke prosecutor who hates citizens, but loves on violent criminals.

Oh, and you're a fool if you don't have carry insurance.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    It's kinda hopeless trying to convince some people that state provided firearms training might be a good thing. For people who couldn't otherwise afford a basic pistol class (see my prior comments about people in my SC class who probably won't hit what they're aiming at under stress) to receive that training at no cost is a good thing for the community. An armed, trained citizen is worth way more than an officer ten minutes away when seconds count.
    Average response time for police in New York City is now over 16 minutes.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Training is a good thing, especially for someone that would like to carry for self defense. I agree with that fully, having been both a student and instructor. There are many levels of training, Trop gun shop up here offers a basic class with range time for a small fee that is credited towards to cost of a firearm purchase, which is a great thing. It does take regular training and frequent practice to develop the muscle memory involved with more complex defensive tactics. The best classes I have attended for things like tactical carbine had notes and several drills and excercises to practice afterwards, the class simply informs you how to reinforce the skills they taught. It is impossible to retain much even after several days in a class unless the methods are practiced and drilled regularly.

If the government says it's "free" it is not free. "State sponsored training" has a cost funded by taxpayers, probably well more than it actually cost being "laundered through an innefficient burocracy"(quoting Occam) and it invites both corruption, and government oversite and regulation of the firearms training community. This should be terrifying to other instructors, especially if you have looked into the issues with MD's absurd system, and abuses by both s#!tty instructors and government F-ing it all up.

Requiring training as a condition of carry is unconstitutional, and has been abused as an obstacle to exercising our rights. It is also probably the #1 talking point of those opposed to constitutional carry, including gun folk. In practice, most of the country doesn't have a training requirement, and there isn't statistical data really backing up that the states with a requirement have any change in accidents. There is also the practical matter, like the 1 day class you posted about, 1 day of training will help, but it takes much more than that to be proficient. You seem to keep bringing up the same argument that the founders were experts, therefore we have to be to have our 2A rights, that is absurd, and historically inaccurate. There are 3 things at issue IMO, training is good, no disagreement there. The state regulating and funding training is likely bad, requiring it as a condition to exercise a basic human right is an unconstitutional infringement.

Last edited:

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Training is a good thing, especially for someone that would like to carry for self defense. I agree with that fully, having been both a student and instructor. There are many levels of training, Trop gun shop up here offers a basic class with range time for a small fee that is credited towards to cost of a firearm purchase, which is a great thing. It does take regular training and frequent practice to develop the muscle memory involved with more complex defensive tactics. The best classes I have attended for things like tactical carbine had notes and several drills and excercises to practice afterwards, the class simply informs you how to reinforce the skills they taught. It is impossible to retain much even after several days in a class unless the methods are practiced and drilled regularly.

If the government says it's "free" it is not free. "State sponsored training" has a cost funded by taxpayers, probably well more than it actually cost being "laundered through an innefficient burocracy"(quoting Occam) and it invites both corruption, and government oversite and regulation of the firearms training community. This should be terrifying to other instructors, especially if you have looked into the issues with MD's absurd system, and abuses by both s#!tty instructors and government F-ing it all up.

Requiring training as a condition of carry is unconstitutional, and has been abused as an obstacle to exercising our rights. It is also probably the #1 talking point of those opposed to constitutional carry, including gun folk. In practice, most of the country doesn't have a training requirement, and there isn't statistical data really backing up that the states with a requirement have any change in accidents. There is also the practical matter, like the 1 day class you posted about, 1 day of training will help, but it takes much more than that to be proficient.
    Yup. There's also the other thing... citizens carry to be able to defend themselves. "Defending yourself" also includes, "...from being thrown in jail". People are responsible for every shot they fire. There is both a natural motivating factor in this for citizens to become trained on their own AND punitive mechanisms in place to dole out consequences for the improper use of a firearm.

Those are all that is needed for citizens exercising their unalienable rights to keep and bear arms. State training mandates are illegal infringements AND unnecessary due to the aforementioned reasons. Training requirements are literally just Jim crow literacy tests and poll taxes applied to the 2a instead of voting.

Jake4U

Now with 67% more FJB
    Sep 1, 2018
    SC is about to have constitutional carry with free training for those who want it. You guys need to move to America and breathe in some freedom. MD's toxic blue is clouding your brains.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Why not make that free and mandatory too? :rolleyes:
    LOL, would think that we have learned that some of the worst government abuses are "free and mandatory".

OQE3CUHRERPRZMD5DIICSJDP6U.jpg

Dogmeat

Ultimate Member
    Apr 5, 2013
    Montgomery County, MD
    Indirect charge to recipient by way of taxes laundered through an inefficient bureaucracy with huge overhead that thus requires even more taxes to badly push some portion of that money towards the “no charge” service. It would be cheaper to directly pay for the instruction time and cut the ravenous government middleman out of the loop.

Well, if it is going to be paid for with Tax Revenues, then at least the folks taking the class will be able to smile with the knowledge that all of the Karen's and Demanding Mommies will be paying for part of it! :D

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    SC is about to have constitutional carry with free training for those who want it. You guys need to move to America and breathe in some freedom. MD's toxic blue is clouding your brains.
    LOL, then why are you slumming it with us deplorables on MD shooters?

8evr6w.jpg

Jake4U

Now with 67% more FJB
    Sep 1, 2018
    LOL, then why are you slumming it with us deplorables on MD shooters?

View attachment 453201
    Because I use to live there and was active with MSI. Escaped to America last year. Still contribute to MSI because you guys still live in toxic Maryland, that place where corrupt politicians only give a crap about the criminal class who supports them. I like reading the court smackdown Mark keeps winning.

When you live in America it's OK to see your taxes go to something worthwhile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom