• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Permits are being turned around in less than 90 days from what I've heard at the moment. With the MSP under new guidence, I would find it hard to believe it'd change much over the next 4 years. That bill just isn't necessary right now.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Now if this bill was 30 or even less instead of 120, it'd be a different story and he likely wouldn't be sponsoring it.

LCPIWB

Needs an avatar
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 17, 2011
    Underneath the blimp, Md.
    Good points and questions.

The bill has cosponsors who I am pretty sure are on our side - Cassilly, Hough, Muse, Norman, and Ready. This is a part of why I thought the bill may be something the gun rights community would like.

Permits are being turned around in less than 90 days from what I've heard at the moment. With the MSP under new guidence, I would find it hard to believe it'd change much over the next 4 years. That bill just isn't necessary right now.

Exactly.

JimBro might as well roll up in the red van with this one.

Now if this bill was 30 or even less instead of 120, it'd be a different story and he likely wouldn't be sponsoring it.

Please start a seperate thread if you want to talk about SB0407, or talk about it in the Main Senate bill thread. you are confusing things. This thread is about SB0136, not SB0407.

Mr H

Banana'd
    We need look back no farther than last session, when Conaway Jr. was tasked with putting his name on a number of really dumb 'anti' bills that even he didn't believe in.

This time, it's Brochin, with namby pamby crap, to try to soften us up.

We saw this when the bills were filed, and called it out. No one should be shocked, here.

We have friends attacking friends now. I'm sure they're loving this.

TopShelf

@TopShelfJS
    Feb 26, 2012
    We need look back no farther than last session, when Conaway Jr. was tasked with putting his name on a number of really dumb 'anti' bills that even he didn't believe in.

This time, it's Brochin, with namby pamby crap, to try to soften us up.

We saw this when the bills were filed, and called it out. No one should be shocked, here.

We have friends attacking friends now. I'm sure they're loving this.

Thanks for the additional info. Yeah, getting this stuff all sorted out isn't pretty at times. Thanks to all for the help along the way as we figure these bills out together! In the end, hopefully it will be the 2A rights community that has the last laugh :)

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Ok , SB 136 is certainly debatable on its own merits. But SB 407 IS a good thing, despite having a slime bag at the top of the page.

Sure , at the moment permits usually take less than 90days. In the past has taken up to 180 for at least some people.

But the big but , is once some form of reform occurs, applications will flood in. If MSP continued with current procedures , and the peak staffing levels from the "pre-stay" crunch hiring of contractors, the wait time would become years. SB407 would force their hand to either streamline, or massive reassignments.

Just because he's trying to use us, doesn't mean we shouldn't use him when the stars align. Stopped watch and twice a day. Doesn't mean you have to like him, or have to refrain from campaigning against him, or for his opponents.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Ok , SB 136 is certainly debatable on its own merits. But SB 407 IS a good thing, despite having a slime bag at the top of the page.

Sure , at the moment permits usually take less than 90days. In the past has taken up to 180 for at least some people.

But the big but , is once some form of reform occurs, applications will flood in. If MSP continued with current procedures , and the peak staffing levels from the "pre-stay" crunch hiring of contractors, the wait time would become years. SB407 would force their hand to either streamline, or massive reassignments.

Just because he's trying to use us, doesn't mean we shouldn't use him when the stars align. Stopped watch and twice a day. Doesn't mean you have to like him, or have to refrain from campaigning against him, or for his opponents.

Yeah, but I am not alright with 120 days for the HQL. How long should it really take for the MSP to process a HQL application once it receives the application in its entirety? I say 7 days. That is enough time to do the background check for a person buying a handgun, so it should be plenty for the HQL too. What is so novel about the HQL that it will take way more time to process versus the background check for a handgun purchase? Mind you, the background check of the 18+ MSP databases will still be performed after somebody receives a HQL. So, they get the HQL and then they still need to wait another 7 days to take possession of a handgun.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    Yeah, but I am not alright with 120 days for the HQL. How long should it really take for the MSP to process a HQL application once it receives the application in its entirety? I say 7 days. That is enough time to do the background check for a person buying a handgun, so it should be plenty for the HQL too. What is so novel about the HQL that it will take way more time to process versus the background check for a handgun purchase? Mind you, the background check of the 18+ MSP databases will still be performed after somebody receives a HQL. So, they get the HQL and then they still need to wait another 7 days to take possession of a handgun.
    HQL and LTC - two different things. HQL is already covered by a 30-day maximum window in statute.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    HQL and LTC - two different things. HQL is already covered by a 30-day maximum window in statute.

Ah, SB407 pertains to concealed carry. This is another one that sounds "wonderful" when it really isn't. Not many people get approved for concealed carry, but if we have a 120 day time frame on the issuance of a permit and there is a panic rush for concealed permits, this might actually come into play. Of course, MSP could just easily deny them all as not meeting G&S and the problem would be solved for MSP. I mean, G&S isn't a subjective standard whatsoever, now is it?

I get it. He fed us a crap sandwich in 2013 and now he is offering to give us something to wash it down with. What that something is, remains to be seen. He can save face with his constituents. It looks like the 2nd Amendment group is making headway in Maryland, etc. Yay, we all win, but not really.

I could see this being an issue if the state went Shall Issue, but if there wasn't an issue regarding this matter after Newtown, it would take one heck of a screwed up situation to cause a run on carry permits in this state, and if things are that bad I am moving.

Seriously, if there was no rush for carry permits in 2013 wherein this was an issue, what in God's name would cause such a rush? An invasion by China, IS, ISIS, Boko Haram?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    There was a rush for Carry Permits post Woolard , pre-stay. Even with their reassigning Troopers and bringing back retirees, it took them the rest of the year to process three weeks worth of applications. If reform is pushed upon Md by the courts , or even a more favorable interpetation of G&S , they will be faced with easily 10 times as many applications , and their system will be overloaded , and processing times will be measured in years , not days or months.

407 won't make a difference right now , but come the day in the future , we'll be glad to have it in place.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    There was a rush for Carry Permits post Woolard , pre-stay. Even with their reassigning Troopers and bringing back retirees, it took them the rest of the year to process three weeks worth of applications. If reform is pushed upon Md by the courts , or even a more favorable interpetation of G&S , they will be faced with easily 10 times as many applications , and their system will be overloaded , and processing times will be measured in years , not days or months.

407 won't make a difference right now , but come the day in the future , we'll be glad to have it in place.

When this state goes Shall Issue, I'll gladly wait however long it takes to get my carry permit. I'll worry about the backlog after we go Shall Issue. Right now, it is just putting lipstick on a pig, or however that phrase goes.

Reminds me of the thread in the Water Cooler where somebody asks if anybody has ever bought ammo for a gun they don't own yet. Yep, we want the 120 day time frame, and are willing to give Brochin credit for it, just in case we ever get Shall Issue. No thanks. Get Brochin to sponsor Shall Issue and really push it, and then I'll get up and testify for the bill and might even think he is trying to make amends for caving under pressure back in 2013.

dogbone

Ultimate Member
    Nov 14, 2011
    GTT - Gone To Texas
    You guys read the Wiki on Brochin? He has been involved in politics forever. Just not as a Senator until 2003. Going to have to work real hard to unseat him, or he is going to have to do something really stupid, like not follow his constituents' wishes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Brochin

This section:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Brochin#Positions_in_2013_General_Assembly_Session

on his positions in the 2013 session doesn't even mention FSA2013 or SB281. What an amazing coincidence...:mad54:

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    When this state goes Shall Issue, I'll gladly wait however long it takes to get my carry permit. I'll worry about the backlog after we go Shall Issue. Right now, it is just putting lipstick on a pig, or however that phrase goes.

If by chance MD should ever become shall issue, it's almost certain that there will be a prescribed time frame to complete the necessary procedures by MSP within the context of the law.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Get Brochin to sponsor Shall Issue ***** and repeal FSA2013 ***** and really push it, and then I'll get up and testify for the bill and might even think he is trying to make amends for caving under pressure back in 2013.

THIS ^^^^^^!!!!!!!

That Brochin really fvcked us two years ago and the only two ways I'd get behind him would be to FVCK HIM BACK oooorrrrrr if he makes complete amends first by doing what Fabs post (as per my editing) indicates.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    This section:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Brochin#Positions_in_2013_General_Assembly_Session

on his positions in the 2013 session doesn't even mention FSA2013 or SB281. What an amazing coincidence...:mad54:

Yeah, somewhat ironic there isn't it. Neither he nor anybody else is advertising on his Wiki that he pushed through FSA2013. I'll put it on my long list of things to do after tax season to figure out how to add that and link the video that Minuteman posted. I mean, we want to give credit where credit is due, now don't we.

The liberal politicians might finally be feeling some heat in this state. Time to turn up the dial a little bit more. Of course, I think Brochin labels himself an "Independent".

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom