• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    What are the "'specified firearms' in the commission of 'specified crimes'"??? Does anybody know the complete definitions of those two??? Let me reiterate; what does "specified firearms" and "specified crimes" entail??? Where's the list that this bill is making reference???

Come on Fabs, you're one of those legal dudes......

lol - like I don't have enough work on my plate during tax time. Sheez.

Lou, I'll try to dig up the definitions for you after dinner. Just posted how judges can be replaced in Maryland and now I need to get my head back to thinking taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, and then more taxes. Being sick isn't helping anything either, but that seems to be the case every March.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    How ironic that he will be getting a dose of his own medicine!

Yep, it will be almost fun testifying on this bill. "Support with amendments" opens up a nice door to damning with faint praise, especially after stopping by his office on 2A Tuesday and specifically mentioning the bill.

Emotional written testimony in opposition already submitted. I may/may not speak on it Thursday. Haven't decided yet.

Brochin knows that even though he won, he faced a newbie to politics and there is another election before the 2020 census.

Just google Brochins name, the #1 finding is the town hall just prior to the SB281 debate.

What are the "'specified firearms' in the commission of 'specified crimes'"??? Does anybody know the complete definitions of those two??? Let me reiterate; what does "specified firearms" and "specified crimes" entail??? Where's the list that this bill is making reference???

Good question. I don't know, and I generally oppose anything Brochin says, simply because I believe a persons character is most important.

Last edited:

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I know your excuse, the bullies made him do it.

Gay_Marriage_Maryland_04b04-Maryland-Senate-President-Thomas-V-Mike-Miller-Jr.jpg

We don't need spineless representatives.

Last edited:

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009

Here you go Lou:

Crim Law section 4–204.
    (a) (1) In this section, “firearm” means:
    (i) a weapon that expels, is designed to expel, or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive; or
    (ii) the frame or receiver of such a weapon.
    (2) “Firearm” includes an antique firearm, handgun, rifle, shotgun, short–barreled rifle, short–barreled shotgun, starter gun, or any other firearm, whether loaded or unloaded.
    (b) A person may not use a firearm in the commission of a crime of violence, as defined in § 5–101 of the Public Safety Article, or any felony, whether the firearm is operable or inoperable at the time of the crime.
    (c) (1) (i) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and, in addition to any other penalty imposed for the crime of violence or felony, shall be sentenced to imprisonment for not less than 5 years and not exceeding 20 years.

Think we are all pretty familiar with the crimes of violence as set for in Public Safety 5-101, but just in case, here you go:

Public Safety §5–101.
    (a) .....

(c) “Crime of violence” means:
    (1) abduction;
    (2) arson in the first degree;
    (3) assault in the first or second degree;
    (4) burglary in the first, second, or third degree;
    (5) carjacking and armed carjacking;
    (6) escape in the first degree;
    (7) kidnapping;
    (8) voluntary manslaughter;
    (9) maiming as previously proscribed under former Article 27, § 386 of the Code;
    (10) mayhem as previously proscribed under former Article 27, § 384 of the Code;
    (11) murder in the first or second degree;
    (12) rape in the first or second degree;
    (13) robbery;
    (14) robbery with a dangerous weapon;
    (15) sexual offense in the first, second, or third degree;
    (16) an attempt to commit any of the crimes listed in items (1) through (15) of this subsection; or
    (17) assault with intent to commit any of the crimes listed in items (1) through (15) of this subsection or a crime punishable by imprisonment for more than 1 year.

I'm not going to go and research what a felony is in Maryland right now, because that will take me a little while longer and dinner is almost ready.

This should give you something to chew on while I have my dinner.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    PSA - for those of you that are against this bill solely because Brochin is the sponsor, or want to even make that your reasoning in front of the General Assembly, it will not look good. It will look like the mother of 2 standing in front of the judge, arguing that she should be let off her speeding ticket because law enforcement should be out there doing better things than catching speeders, like catching drug dealers. I wanted to bang my head on the seat in front of me when I heard this. The one that takes the cake though is the 70 year old man that argued that he was not guilty for speeding based on Constitutional issues like cruel and unusual punishment, he had been doing 50 mph through the school zone for years without getting a citation, it was lawful to drive 55 mph in places and it should be lawful there, etc. Pages and pages of insane testimony.

Either oppose this legislation on the merits or do not say anything at all. You know Brochin is a turn coat, you know Brochin is a liar. However, he was re-elected in 2014 to what I believe is his 4th term.

The people on the committee are going to laugh when you call Brochin a liar. They already know it and they know exactly what happened in 2013. They will not care. Heck, we know that most politicians are liars. Only thing worse than the stigma that goes along with being an attorney is the stigma that goes along with being a politician.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Last edited:

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    BTW - Brochin is sponsoring one that looks like something the gun rights community will like -
    120 day turnaround on handgun permit applications - http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/frmMain.aspx?pid=billpage&tab=subject3&id=sb0407&stab=01&ys=2015RS

Cosponsors: Cassilly, Hough, Muse, Norman, and Ready

If you are supporting Brochin in any way you are directly opposing me.

I have read the bill, and regardless of its merits, I can not forget what damage (sb281) these liars have done.

Brochin will say or do anything that he feels politically expedient for himself. Where he lost the path, I don't know. And yes I have spoken with many that agree that he started off in the right direction, but when you give your word. That is all that matters.

I will not now, nor never forgive him for what he did. He ignored us when it mattered and any consideration now is an affront to our purpose.

Period.

That bill is largely legislative junk food, IMO

No real substance

MrH nailed it, there's nothing in that bill to push other than fluff; it's a waste of thought, word, and paper.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    The 120 day bill is a good example of my musings here

http://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=3697299&postcount=22

He seems to think we can be played with occasional bone.

If a handgun permit takes more than 120 days, I think there would be a very good argument for infringement right there. We have something called the Constitution, and enough is enough. I don't even think the HQL is Constitutional in the first place. Don't think the ban is Constitutional. Don't think the 1986 ban on making machine guns is Constitutional. Don't think the 7 day wait is Constitutional. Lots of infringements going on.

What makes him think we need a law on the books, other than the US Consitution, to ensure that HQL permits are processed in 120 days?

dogbone

Ultimate Member
    Nov 14, 2011
    GTT - Gone To Texas
    Either oppose this legislation on the merits or do not say anything at all. You know Brochin is a turn coat, you know Brochin is a liar. However, he was re-elected in 2014 to what I believe is his 4th term.

The people on the committee are going to laugh when you call Brochin a liar. They already know it and they know exactly what happened in 2013. They will not care. Heck, we know that most politicians are liars. Only thing worse than the stigma that goes along with being an attorney is the stigma that goes along with being a politician.

^^^This!

You don't like Brochin? I'll match my distaste against anyone on this forum and toss in hours and hours of volunteer work for his opponent in the recent election.

Want to kick him in the 'nads? Then please testify against the bill itself and not against the sponsor. Sinking this bill by testifying about its shortcomings in a rational and logical fashion will rub his nose in the mess he made much better than the emotional reactions we see too often from the opposition.

TopShelf

@TopShelfJS
    Feb 26, 2012
    The 120 day bill is a good example of my musings here

http://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=3697299&postcount=22

He seems to think we can be played with occasional bone.

If a handgun permit takes more than 120 days, I think there would be a very good argument for infringement right there. We have something called the Constitution, and enough is enough. I don't even think the HQL is Constitutional in the first place. Don't think the ban is Constitutional. Don't think the 1986 ban on making machine guns is Constitutional. Don't think the 7 day wait is Constitutional. Lots of infringements going on.

What makes him think we need a law on the books, other than the US Consitution, to ensure that HQL permits are processed in 120 days?

Good points and questions.

The bill has cosponsors who I am pretty sure are on our side - Cassilly, Hough, Muse, Norman, and Ready. This is a part of why I thought the bill may be something the gun rights community would like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom