SB118 (2023) - Criminal Law – Prohibitions on Wearing, Carrying, or Transporting Firearms

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Wonder what would happen if Sheriff's swore people with W&C licenses as posse? :lol2:

That was actually a thing , back in the day , before 1972 . At least some Sheriffs used 11 month 29 day Deputy Sheriff Commisions as de facto May Issue carry permits . But that was then , and wouldn't work now .

Back then , LEO were required to complete Academy training within 12 months of appointment . But they could go on duty armed , after only a Firearms Qualification . Hence , 11month 29 day commisions , and potentially get the next one the following day and restart the clock .

And along those lines pre Shall Issue ( or even prior to civillian concealed carry at all ) Reserve Officers were a big thing , most especially in Illinois .

Each postage stamp sized town or village had a PD , and half the time , a separate Park Police Dept for the Town Park . And many of them had far more Reserves than regular Ofcs . IL probably had more Reserve Ofc than Maryland issued May Issue Permits . Sure , some of the Reserves were legit seeking to serve their community , but a large part was that was the only path to legal concealed carry .

But when the IL legislature raised the requirements to 40 hours of training annually , that took a big bite out of it .

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    And FOPA would protect people traveling here to stay in a hotel here, if I'm not mistaken, which would make their "inn, hotel, or other that provides lodging to transient guests" portion of this unlawful (as if we didn't already know it was)
    Except maryland already allows a hotel to tell you get out if you have a gun. Under the same rules as any place of business.

ezracer

Certified Gun Nut
    Jul 27, 2012
    Behind enemy lines...
    Wait a minute. Wait a minute. Lemme write all this stuff down. I want to be sure I'm all legal schmegal ( like I haven't jumped through enough hoops already )
    :innocent0 :facepalm:

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    liberty_pole-01.jpeg

One of these should be dropped off in Annapolis every day until the session ends.

beetles

MDS Supporter
    Dec 19, 2021
    Wasn't there a time when USCG was under one department since they mainly engage in S&R and drug law enforcement, but moved temporarily to DoD during war? I could be wrong, but I thought I either read that or saw it in a documentary oh so many years ago.
    They were once a part of Treasury, at a time when there were fewer cabinet departments and when interdiction of goods smugglers was done by by the Revenue Cutter Service, a USCG predecessor (along with the U.S. Life Saving Service and the United States Lighthouse Board.) The USCG was under Treasury until 1967, then Transportation until 2003, and now Homeland Security.

Before the passage of the 16th Amendment, import duties were the main source of income of the federal government (along with excise taxes on alcohol and some other goods). Interdiction of smuggling was a significant interest to the Treasury.

Last edited:

SteveG75

Feb 25, 2013
    Escaped to gunny FL.
    Back to topic.

This sucks. Finally in process of getting my W&C so I don’t have to disarm at the Potomac River when coming north to visit my granddaughter. Had to come to MD just to get fingerprinted. :mad:

So, now the GA wants to remove my ability to go anywhere in MD. :mad54:

This needs to be smacked down hard by the USSC.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    (b)The officers of the Coast Guard insofar as they are engaged, pursuant to the authority contained in this section, in enforcing any law of the United States shall:
    (1)
    be deemed to be acting as agents of the particular executive department or independent establishment charged with the administration of the particular law; and
    (2)
    be subject to all the rules and regulations promulgated by such department or independent establishment with respect to the enforcement of that law.
    So which of you Coasties is volunteering to be the test case with standing if this gets rammed through somehow?

P-12 Norm

Why be normal?
    Sep 9, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    Time to go yell at some people in Annapolis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2013 when every one flooded the capital for the hearing, they ignored it and said there were only a few and passed it into law. So we got the HQL...

Last edited:

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    So which of you Coasties is volunteering to be the test case with standing if this gets rammed through somehow?
    No need for a test case, for many years I have been filling out the MDWC form as a former police officer (federal) noting the US code and have never received a challenge along with submitting my DD214.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    I hope that this is being communicated to all the wear and carry classes being taught, and to the instructors to follow up with the students they have taught.

The Saint

Black Powder Nerd/Resident Junk Collector
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 10, 2021
    Baltimore County
    Oh well, guess I'll just become a criminal like the rest. Bout time I start getting treated like royalty, anyway.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    What they, the mga , fails to realize is that some people have carry permits issued under the old scheme and were issued permits under a good and substantial reason. I will not tell those folks they shouldn’t carry. I haven’t and will not tell them not to carry in Moco either.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    I mentioned this to a friend who is getting her permit now and her response "No way that passes."

I said "It'll pass with great big smiles on their faces."

TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017
    Shame we just can't take the state the SCOTUS, based on the fact the state is intentionally making owning a firearm verboten! The state is going to make it you can't carry a firearm anywhere except while sitting in your car and in inside your house to in short make owning a firearm useless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom