SB1 - Injunctive relief is provided for private property, locations that sell alcohol, and public demonstrations.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Phoenix_1295

Creature of Life and Fire
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 6, 2010
    MD
    It does seem, from reading the various law related threads, there are a number of folks who got their permits but didn’t do their reading homework.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    It does seem, from reading the various law related threads, there are a number of folks who got their permits but didn’t do their reading homework.

My W&C class required me to write a 1200 word book report on The Last of the Mohicans. Does that count?

Where can we get non-legal verbiage on what just happened? I get that we can carry still in public places and restaurants..what didn’t get overturned? I see someone mention state parks.. can we carry there now?

Nothing got overturned. This just prevents some parts of the law from being enforced until the actual cases are settled in court. The judge is saying that those parts, private property carry etc. are such obvious slam dunks to be overturned that he is ordering they not be enforced until then.

Other parts he considers more debatable, so he's allowing them to be enforced even before the final decision. For instance, he thinks the open carry ban will pass constitutional muster.

Georges2nd

Aug 30, 2022
    Upper marlboro
    Or more eloquently:
    fa934b82a9d7deb1a3cb8ccf1ed168ab.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
    And the winner is

My W&C class required me to write a 1200 word book report on The Last of the Mohicans. Does that count?

Nothing got overturned. This just prevents some parts of the law from being enforced until the actual cases are settled in court. The judge is saying that those parts, private property carry etc. are such obvious slam dunks to be overturned that he is ordering they not be enforced until then.

Other parts he considers more debatable, so he's allowing them to be enforced even before the final decision. For instance, he thinks the open carry ban will pass constitutional muster.
    Wouldn't that require the state to overhaul their entire permit system since the current law allows either and the permit isn't called a concealed carry permit it's called a wear and carry permit.

gab

MDS Supporter
    Sep 17, 2023
    These are great news, but not great enough. I have a huge concern with how the courts are trending in their interpretation of Bruen with respect to the historical analysis. Both the MoCo judge that denied the Preliminary injunction and the judge on Friday are treating 1868 (14th ammendment ratification) as valid historical precedent... which is completely absurd. Their justification is also such bs, clearly politically motivated. That is really bad news for us. The reason the judge granted the injunction on the private property portion of SB1 was because of the racial discrimination intent of the historical laws provided as an example by the State. In the end, they are not using the intent of the 2A and the history of gun restrictions at ratification like they do for the rest of the bill of rights, but instead they are using a much more restrictive time period.

Although I'm happy the judge saw some "reason" unlike the judge in the MoCo case... it is a very concerned patter and a slap back at Bruen from the lower courts and liberal judges.

I found this interesting paper discussing similar concerns:

MULE-JK

Stiff Member
    Sep 7, 2013
    Mt. Airy
    The 2A prevents Govt. Infringement. Private business can do as they please
    I disagree and this type of thought is what get's us to where we are now. These businesses are open to the public, therefore they are public, not private and they are not allowed to infringe on the rest of the rights we have in public. If you are legally carrying, they are not allowed to infringe upon that, just as if you are legally using your 1st Amendment rights, they may not infringe upon that. Telling someone they are not allowed to carry in a business is akin to telling someone they are not allowed to speak if they enter your business or making them wear tape over their mouth. Not being allowed to yell fire in a crowded place or protest, or cause a ruckus is not preventing you from doing it, it makes it illegal, there is nothing physically preventing you from doing so. There are laws against using a firearm illegally, just as there are your voice. Your home, your private land are not public, make whatever rules you want for entry there.

MULE-JK

Stiff Member
    Sep 7, 2013
    Mt. Airy
    On private property? That's a little tricky. Sort of like the 1A doesn't guarantee you can spend your day in someone's private business screaming political screeds at the top of your lungs or even just politely but creepily proselytizing someone's customers. There's a difference between "no black people allowed" and "no hoodies that hide your face while you're in my place of business." I'd like to preserve the right to tell people to get out of my private property if I don't like their conduct or bearing, and so I can't very well complain when another person wants the same. Hence the "don't carry here" signs followed up by invoking trespass if someone won't leave, that's not incoherent, philosophically. Forcing me to put up a "you can carry here" sign certainly is.
    See my reply to swinokur, I couldn't get the dang multi-reply to work.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    Wouldn't that require the state to overhaul their entire permit system since the current law allows either and the permit isn't called a concealed carry permit it's called a wear and carry permit.
    No, the current law as of 10/1 prohibits open carry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom