SB1 (2023) - Criminal Law - Wearing, Carrying, or Transporting Firearms - Restrictions (Gun Safety Act of 2023)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    So, how do we turn out 5% (I'd be happy with that number) of those that have their newly acquired permits?

5% physically showing up in Annapolis at the same time would be a off the charts .

I was happy to be proven wrong in my estimates of timeline of W&C numbers , and hopefully for this too .

Realistically , 2 % of newly minted W&C * not overlapping with previous 2A advocates * would be a fine thing , and a meaningful boost in influence .

RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living
    If you run into him, tell him outrider says Howdy!
    -Doody!

HD.jpg

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Anyone notice the penalty in the bill isn't disqualifying? 1 yeqr misdemeanor. Even less reason to abide

True, however you could still lose your permit because you were carrying somewhere that was against the law. Of course this doesn’t apply if you have no fvcks left to give and don’t follow unconstitutional bullsh*t laws.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    True, however you could still lose your permit because you were carrying somewhere that was against the law. Of course this doesn’t apply if you have no fvcks left to give and don’t follow unconstitutional bullsh*t laws.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you comply you might as well not have the permit anyways

Concealed is concealed

Oddway Otts

Mar 17, 2008
    Harford County
    All right folks, it's that time of year, and while yes, this bill has been mentioned in another thread, we generally do a thread for each bill. So, without further ado...

Criminal Law - Wearing, Carrying, or Transporting Firearms - Restrictions (Gun Safety Act of 2023)

Sponsor(s): Senators Waldstreicher and Lee

Link to the Bill: https://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2023RS/bills/sb/sb0001F.pdf

Synopsis: FOR the purpose of prohibiting a person from knowingly wearing, carrying, or transporting a firearm onto the real property of another unless the other has given certain permission; prohibiting a person from knowingly wearing, carrying, or transporting a firearm within a certain distance of a certain place of public accommodation; and 8 generally relating to restrictions on wearing, carrying, or transporting firearms.

And so it begins....

All right folks, it's that time of year, and while yes, this bill has been mentioned in another thread, we generally do a thread for each bill. So, without further ado...

Criminal Law - Wearing, Carrying, or Transporting Firearms - Restrictions (Gun Safety Act of 2023)

Sponsor(s): Senators Waldstreicher and Lee

Link to the Bill: https://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2023RS/bills/sb/sb0001F.pdf

Synopsis: FOR the purpose of prohibiting a person from knowingly wearing, carrying, or transporting a firearm onto the real property of another unless the other has given certain permission; prohibiting a person from knowingly wearing, carrying, or transporting a firearm within a certain distance of a certain place of public accommodation; and 8 generally relating to restrictions on wearing, carrying, or transporting firearms.

And so it begins....

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    Freddie Blassie had a song about him.

And no, that's not welder516

LOL,,
    I made my kids listen to "Pencil Necked Geek" when they were younger.
    It was a favorite of mine from the "Dr. Demento Show",, And I would recite lines as my kids were growing up. They said I made it up, so I found a copy and would play it at least once a week.

Now when ever my oldest hears someone say "What the heck", he responds with "Nope, this one's a pencil neck"

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    First a mea culpa in the name of transparancy. It's been too many years since I last did my part heading to Annapolis. Work was in the way, and the conveyor belt of legislative affronts made things appear to be a case of same shit, different day. It took the wind out of my sails.

The last real motivational moment for us came in 2013, but that was a decade ago. Now, in the wake of Bruen, the wonderful growth in the number of W&C permitees, and dog shit bills like S.B. 1, MoCo's 21-22, and who knows what else, I think the time has come again.

I commit myself here, and ask others to do the same, to coalesce around opposing this latest, most massive assault on civil rights since FSA of 2013. The shift to telework has freed me, and no doubt many others, to show up and testify.

I'll add that there are many fellow Marylanders who could care less about 2A rights, but may be interested in the upcoming waste of their taxpayer dollars defending laws that will not survive Supreme Court scrutiny. Use my dollers to make a difference, not posture in the name of lost causes.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Anyone notice the penalty in the bill isn't disqualifying? 1 yeqr misdemeanor. Even less reason to abide

BUT , the Permit is " Valid except where prohibited by law " . Which would usually also open you to 4-203 , which IS prohibiting .

SuperSoap

Member of the Great 28
    Apr 5, 2018
    Southern Maryland
    I’ve jumped through every hoop and paid every fee. Im done participating in the ********. The constitution spells it out plain and clear. If they want to take it off of me for not obeying then good luck. Criminals do it without a permit and get released on unsecured bonds within a day. I’ll take my chances.

Ducky

Aug 27, 2022
    Annapolis, MD
    First a mea culpa in the name of transparancy. It's been too many years since I last did my part heading to Annapolis. Work was in the way, and the conveyor belt of legislative affronts made things appear to be a case of same shit, different day. It took the wind out of my sails.

The last real motivational moment for us came in 2013, but that was a decade ago. Now, in the wake of Bruen, the wonderful growth in the number of W&C permitees, and dog shit bills like S.B. 1, MoCo's 21-22, and who knows what else, I think the time has come again.

I commit myself here, and ask others to do the same, to coalesce around opposing this latest, most massive assault on civil rights since FSA of 2013. The shift to telework has freed me, and no doubt many others, to show up and testify.

I'll add that there are many fellow Marylanders who could care less about 2A rights, but may be interested in the upcoming waste of their taxpayer dollars defending laws that will not survive Supreme Court scrutiny. Use my dollers to make a difference, not posture in the name of lost causes.
    I am one of many who share your history & sentiments. As a suburban Annapolis resident who has testified on various issues and attended many Boat Shows, I'm 'painfully' aware of the difficulties of transporting my arthritic body downtown and supporting myself throughout however many hours may be required. Eastern Shore soulmates could preliminarily assemble at my home but will also struggle to endure the duration.

Annapolis parking garages cannot accommodate near the turnout we hope for. Rest rooms are another issue. Can the Naval Academy Stadium parking ( plus shuttle buses ) be made available, similar to how the large crowds are accommodated during boat shows? Can MSI / NRA successfully petition relevant property/event managers? The existence of such logistical solutions are what will enable a Nationally notable protest, or not. Democrats regularly organize buses and hordes of activists to dramatize events. Why can't we?

I'm ready to wear my back brace, kick in a few bucks, talk it up and act upon suggestions, as many of us probably are. However, it will take those in leadership to pre-plan and prepare the battlefield, recognizing that the opposition will try to obscure testimony scheduling, etc.

Standing by, Commander(s) ??

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I am one of many who share your history & sentiments. As a suburban Annapolis resident who has testified on various issues and attended many Boat Shows, I'm 'painfully' aware of the difficulties of transporting my arthritic body downtown and supporting myself throughout however many hours may be required. Eastern Shore soulmates could preliminarily assemble at my home but will also struggle to endure the duration.

Annapolis parking garages cannot accommodate near the turnout we hope for. Rest rooms are another issue. Can the Naval Academy Stadium parking ( plus shuttle buses ) be made available, similar to how the large crowds are accommodated during boat shows?
    There is already public parking and a public shuttle service from the stadium parking lot. There has been since at least 2013 and earlier.

Can MSI / NRA successfully petition relevant property/event managers? The existence of such logistical solutions are what will enable a Nationally notable protest, or not. Democrats regularly organize buses and hordes of activists to dramatize events. Why can't we?
    The legislature does this for it's employees who park at the stadium as well as citizens who park there to show up and testify.
    I'm ready to wear my back brace, kick in a few bucks, talk it up and act upon suggestions, as many of us probably are. However, it will take those in leadership to pre-plan and prepare the battlefield, recognizing that the opposition will try to obscure testimony scheduling, etc.

Standing by, Commander(s) ??
    No need for commanders, just pay attention to the various bill threads for when the bill hearings will be.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Updated the OP, bill hearing has been set.

Bill hearing Tuesday Feb 7, 2023 at 1:00 PM
    Location: Senate Judicial Proceedings, Room 2, East Miller Senate Building

Phoenix_1295

Creature of Life and Fire
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 6, 2010
    MD
    I have sent an email to my state delegates/reps requesting that they oppose SB001 and SB118.

PeteW

Feb 10, 2021
    Westminster
    I cant see this passing as is, and if it does it should get slapped down so hard by federal courts it'll make waldstreichers head spin

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I cant see this passing as is, and if it does it should get slapped down so hard by federal courts it'll make waldstreichers head spin
    This is why it should be completely unopposed. Just call them out for being tyrants, but give them no ideas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom