SB1 (2023) - Criminal Law - Wearing, Carrying, or Transporting Firearms - Restrictions (Gun Safety Act of 2023)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Haven’t logged in for a week or so and thought I’d check in on the day before

I guess that’ll be a while!

Thanks MSI and probably a lot of others and MDS for keeping like minds in the know!

Deep Lurker

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 22, 2019
    At last a little common sense.

IMG_0298.jpeg

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates

2500yards

Oct 12, 2009
    That is not in the new law (final SB1).

If you read WMAR’s article, they listed all of the original places that were in first draft of SB1, not the final. They apparently didn’t keep up with the bill as it progressed.

Best to read the actual law/bill to get accurate information.

Here is a good compilation of 2023 handgun laws.

Then read the injunction:

Reading through the first pdf, it reads as though printing while carrying isn’t a crime. Anyone have any more insight into this? Is the current state law reading this way? Last I heard they were going to arrest everyone if they could even tell you had a gun concealed.

Btw, Congratulations MSI and all others involved in the battle. So glad to be a supporter and more glad there is such great people fighting for our rights.

JollyPedro

Aug 15, 2022
    St Mary's County
    Reading through the first pdf, it reads as though printing while carrying isn’t a crime. Anyone have any more insight into this? Is the current state law reading this way? Last I heard they were going to arrest everyone if they could even tell you had a gun concealed.

Btw, Congratulations MSI and all others involved in the battle. So glad to be a supporter and more glad there is such great people fighting for our rights.
    brief printing, or exposure, is not a crime in MD....

crabjoe

Aug 4, 2023
    Ceciltucky
    When someone sues the State in cases such as SB1, does Moore have to show up in court? I'm wondering because IMHO, if you signed the law and you get sued over the law, you (Moore in this case) should be required to show up in court with your attorney (State AG in this case). Not sure if it would work, but I feel, at least sensible Governors, wouldn't sign things into law, if they feel they have to defend it with their own time.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County

Where did you hear that bit of alarmist nonsense?

While printing might lead to discovery of someone who is carrying illegally, how could printing possibly be a crime?

What do you think printing means? Printing is just a little ripple in the cloth of your shirt, or a slight bulge under your jacket or at worst, a vague outline in your pocket.

The vast majority of examples will be so subtle that only a very observant person who is also familiar with the specifics of concealed carry would even notice, and even then, how sure can they really be?

Only a LEO could challenge a person based on a ripple or a bulge, and then only if they can articulate a reasonable suspicion that a crime is being committed. That could only occur in a prohibited location or by a prohibited person. Otherwise, the mere act of carrying a concealed pistol does not in itself justify such a suspicion, because Shall Issue is the law and Carry permits are common.

A store employee would not have the right to detain or search you based on a ripple or a bulge. They might question you or even ask you to leave, but they cannot legally force you to reveal the nature of that ripple or bulge. If they tried to, they open themselves up to all kinds of civil or even criminal liability.

Even a policeman, as I noted, had better be able to articulate a reasonable suspicion that you are committing a crime. That was the source of all the controversy over the "stop and frisk" policy by the New York Police. Current thinking seems to be that "stop and frisk" was only slightly less egregious than the Nazi Holocaust, though opinions vary.

Be aware that many things may cause a slight ripple, a bulge, or even a vague outline. Cell phones, tape measures, medical appliances including insulin pumps, ostomy bags, TENS units, water bottles, turtles, multimeters and just about any ordinary thing a person might carry. Just because someone sees a ripple in someone else's clothing doesn't give them the right to accosted that person. Even a police officer needs to be very careful doing that.

No, printing is not illegal.

The law even specifically says "brief exposure" of the actual gun itself is not illegal.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    When someone sues the State in cases such as SB1, does Moore have to show up in court? I'm wondering because IMHO, if you signed the law and you get sued over the law, you (Moore in this case) should be required to show up in court with your attorney (State AG in this case). Not sure if it would work, but I feel, at least sensible Governors, wouldn't sign things into law, if they feel they have to defend it with their own time.
    AFAIK, no. The OAG provides the presence in the courtroom and advocates for the State. The only time the Governor would need to be in court would be if he was called as a witness to provide testimony.

Apd09

May 30, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    AFAIK, no. The OAG provides the presence in the courtroom and advocates for the State. The only time the Governor would need to be in court would be if he was called as a witness to provide testimony.

Would love to see the line of questioning…

Q: Gov. were you at anytime advised that this law may be unconstitutional by your AG?
    A: no, they said it’ll pass muster.

Q: Gov, did you solicit opposing view feedback on the law so that you could tailor it to fit what’s best for ALL your constituents?
    A: no, this is common sense gun law.

Q: Gov. at any point did you look around the country and solicit feedback from governors that passed similar laws and were currently being sued on the constitutionality of the laws and if so said to yourself “maybe I should wait to see if their laws hold up before I tie up state legal and financial resources as opposed to using them find root cause of violence using guns?”
    A: no, their state is not my state.
    Less guns more safe, there’s your root cause.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk no

Chat-Bot

Disinformation Governor
    Oct 17, 2020
    под скалой
    Where did you hear about the Baltimore fine/jail time?
    During the seminar I was at from the link.

New MD Firearms Legislation and how does it affect you?​

This seminar will cover the new Maryland 2023 Legislative changes effective October 1, 2023 that affect Maryland handgun permits and firearms in general, as well as applicable legal challenges. Attorneys and subject matter experts will be presenting and available for one on one discussion.

https://training.usconcealedcarry.com/class/new-md-firearms-legislation-and-how-does-it-affect-you/78aa7c56-4287-11ee-86f3-da3caa90eb5e

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    During the seminar I was at from the link.

New MD Firearms Legislation and how does it affect you?​

This seminar will cover the new Maryland 2023 Legislative changes effective October 1, 2023 that affect Maryland handgun permits and firearms in general, as well as applicable legal challenges. Attorneys and subject matter experts will be presenting and available for one on one discussion.

https://training.usconcealedcarry.com/class/new-md-firearms-legislation-and-how-does-it-affect-you/78aa7c56-4287-11ee-86f3-da3caa90eb5e
    Doesn't mean it's not true, but I don't remember hearing anything about this. (The Baltimore portion you're referring to)
    Anyone else hear about this or is this misinformation from US Concealed Carry?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom