Exactly!
    Romp, play, and rack up billable hours!

iu

Last edited:

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Many, many laws are similarly vague. This is deliberate. It allows maximum flexibility for prosecutors and lawyers in general.

All that vagueness creates a vast playing field in which the lawyers can romp and play.
    That goes both ways, and as a rule, the vagueness goes in the favor of the defendant and not the State.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    That goes both ways, and as a rule, the vagueness goes in the favor of the defendant and not the State.

That's true, and I thought of noting that on my earlier post. The vagueness allows for a lot of discretion in charging and even not prosecuting at all.

Similarly, "Officer Discretion" allows LEOs on the scene to use their judgment and issue warnings or perhaps a little lecture.

On the other hand, "zero tolerance laws" seem to have tremendous disadvantages.

But the fact remains, the vagueness of the gray areas creates a vast playing field for the lawyers to romp, play, and rack up billable hours. Look at how happy they are in that picture!

N3YMY

Ultimate Member
    Jan 21, 2013
    The statute makes no mention or a definition of what level of alcohol constitutes “under the influence” while carrying
    That in of itself is disturbing.

Of course if charged as such the level used will be 0.0

:sad20:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Was his BAC measured or failing a field sobriety test etc.? Just looking for anything that could be helpful in a defense.

I'd have to look it up . But as I recall , it was 3 or 4 times the limit . As in when he got out of the car , he literally couldn't stand up .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    It's probable that the statute was written before we had blood alcohol testing.

Like obscenity, the judge would decide.

Made me think for a minute , and check a couple of details .

" Carry Permits " as a concrete thing didn't exist until 1972 . In the general " Dangerous Weapons " statute now known as 4-101 , previously 27- whatever , didn't have a specific alcohol enhancement . So 1972 era is oldest possible background .

What was alcohol / driving status ?

First BAC testing was 1930's . Breathalyzer in its recognizable form 1953 . 1981 passed legislation to authorize roadside breath testing to be factor for probable cause for DD arrest . Before '81 ,breath testing was after the fact after arrest .

In 1972 , .15 was DW Intoxicated , and .10 was DW Impared .

So , it could have been possible to incorporate in 1972 , but didn't . Why not ? Pure speculation :

Breath testers not as wide spread for a few years yet , because of $ .

They intended the newly created Carry Permits to be few , restricted , and selective .

They wanted wiggle room vis a vis one of the peons vs a connected political or business elite leaving a cocktail party .

The primary enforcement means for Carry Permit Holders was Administrative Revocation , not Criminal . MSP could & did revoke using generality of " conduct likely to disturb public " or similar , instead of specifics .

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    That's a Dahlgren Boat Howitzer, designed for naval landing parties and used at sea and on land by the Navy and the Army. More postwar surplus!
    I thought it could be a Mountain Howitzer and they were protecting Mountain Oysters!

Link
    How to Hunt Wisconsin Whitetail Deer with a 12 pound Mountain Howitzer Cannon

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Similar idea, but different. The mountain howitzer was designed to be disassembled and packed on two mules. I think it's smaller than any of the Dahlgren boat guns.

Dahlgren.jpg

10968498_420132098152541_6487087233209459131_n-jpg.58573

Notice that, instead of trunnions, the Dahlgren has a single large lug on the bottom of the tube, allowing it to be quickly mounted to the iron carriage.

The Mountain Howitzer is a dinky little thing with a wooden carriage having removable wheels. Notice it has conventional trunnions.

Wisconsin-Veterans-Museum-mountain-howitzer.png

confederate-mountain-howitzers-1865-297x300.png

Last edited:

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    If you don't have a HGP, that's illegal.

If you have a valid HGP, read it.

2) Open carry is prohibited, unless:

THE REQUIREMENT IN PARAGRAPH (1) OF THIS SUBSECTION TO
    KEEP A HANDGUN CONCEALED IS NOT VIOLATED BY:
    (I) THE MOMENTARY AND INADVERTENT EXPOSURE OF A
    HANDGUN; OR
    (II) THE MOMENTARY AND INADVERTENT EXPOSURE OF THE
    IMPRINT OR OUTLINE OF A HANDGUN.

(C) A PERSON IS NOT SUBJECT TO THE REQUIREMENT IN SUBSECTION (B)
    OF THIS SECTION TO KEEP A HANDGUN CONCEALED IF THE PERSON IS AUTHORIZED
    AT THE TIME AND UNDER THE CIRCUMSTANCES TO WEAR, CARRY, OR TRANSPORT
    THE HANDGUN AS PART OF THE PERSON’S OFFICIAL EQUIPMENT, AND IS:

(1) A PERSON EXEMPTED UNDER § 4–203(B)(1) OF THE CRIMINAL
    LAW ARTICLE;

(2) A SECURITY GUARD LICENSED UNDER TITLE 19 OF THE BUSINESS
    OCCUPATIONS ARTICLE ACTING WITHIN THE SCOPE OF EMPLOYMENT;

(3) A CORRECTIONAL OFFICER OR WARDEN OF A CORRECTIONAL
    FACILITY IN THE STATE ACTING WITHIN THE SCOPE OF EMPLOYMENT;

(4) A RAILROAD POLICE OFFICER APPOINTED UNDER TITLE 3,
    SUBTITLE 4 OF THIS ARTICLE ACTING WITHIN THE SCOPE OF EMPLOYMENT; OR

(5) AN EMPLOYEE OF AN ARMORED CAR COMPANY ACTING WITHIN THE
    SCOPE OF EMPLOYMENT.
    Or you fall under one of the exceptions where an HGP is not required. Range, hunting, dog training, on your own property or your own business.

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    I will state I dont know MDs law for public intoxication but in VA any detection by a breathalizer is enough to arrest under. Now in court a .01 will get thrown out, but they can arrest for it.

A cop tried that when I was in the navy in va beach. He turned me over to the shore patrol trying to get me in trouble. Nothing like walking down the street and having a cop arrest your for public intoxication, blew a .02. Went to court for it, and the court dropped it as soon as I walked in the court room. My CO did not care either and said go away. BTW yes I had run ins with that cop before and he did not like me.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Is museum defined in Maryland law? I am wondering because I am planning to head to the Baltimore aquarium soon. And of all of the places I'd go I'd want to carry, well there, meh. To and from there, yeah. And I am guessing you could probably stretch the aquarium to be considered a museum. And yeah, I know concealed means concealed and all that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom