NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Serious question: How many of the active members are black ?

Who really cares?

I could personally not give one fvck about the color of any members.

All I care about is are they safe, responsible shooters and not portraying Sanners Lake ,or the 2A community in general, in a an unfavorable way.

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    Dear Vernon Gray,

You wouldn't by chance be trying to stir up some stink because the club banned you from the property would you?

You deliberately came here on the forum to say a falsehood that you know is untrue with an intent to cause harm.

You know those are basically the three hallmarks of a successful slander suit right?

:worship: well dayum, you da man norton!

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    How many members are not active military, retired military or St Mary's County natives? I'm thinking Culvert County is significantly under represented; not sure if it offends me or if I like it.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    How many are over 200 pounds? How many are bigger than 6 foot? How many whistle while they pee? Your question is as relevant as these are.

How many members are not active military, retired military or St Mary's County natives? I'm thinking Culvert County is significantly under represented; not sure if it offends me or if I like it.

:waves:

:)

Last edited:

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore

I don't think we have any black members at my gun club. I have brought 2 as guests, we have atleast 1 native American and a few chicks.
    No active intentional recruitment of minorities, that I know of.

Does that make me only a little bigoted?

deMontjoie

Ultimate Member
    Oct 25, 2010
    Hollywood, MD
    Thanks Norton, for the Cyber-Sleuthing

Never underestimate the resolve to expose frauds around here. People think they are anonymous and they are anything but.

Norton --

Thanks much, my friend, for the intel. When I first saw this apparently malicious, disgusting, and clearly inaccurate post I was both shocked and very puzzled.
    Note that we at SLSC are also capturing the screen-shots of this thread.

All --

As a longtime (~15 years) SLSC-member, former Club-President, and current member of the Board-of-Directors*, I can attest that we are open to members of all races, creeds, and colors.
    --We have numerous ROs/SOs who include folks who are black, asian, hispanic, Christian, Jewish, male, and female.
    --Our Youth Programs Director is black.
    --One of our Rifle-Range Managers is asian.
    --Our club's instructor-team is selected from the cream of the Club and is extremely diverse, including folks from all races, sexes, and creeds.
    --When I first saw this thread last night, I had just returned from helping to run the USMC-R SoMD Toys-for-Tots 3-Gun Charity Fundraiser. In that event, I worked alongside a great team of diverse folks. But since it was a USMC-sponsored effort, we were all the same exact color -- Marine Corps green,
    Not that our respective labels really matter at all, since the relevant criteria is that we are all of excellent character and are competent, safe shooters.

An excerpt of our By-Laws relating to membership is attached below. In my association with the Club, my understanding is that the Club has only refused to accept a membership application just once in our entire 64 year history. And that was such an unusual case that the Club consulted with our attorney before refusing and returning the application. In that unique and fairly recent case, the application was rejected based upon the "good character" requirement.

Hopefully this helps to dispel the original post as profoundly inaccurate.

Sincerely,

John Mountjoy

*I am writing this post only as an individual, not as a SLSC Club official. JWM

Attachments

• SLSC By-Laws -- Membership Qualifications.jpg
      SLSC By-Laws -- Membership Qualifications.jpg
      10.3 KB · Views: 313

deMontjoie

Ultimate Member
    Oct 25, 2010
    Hollywood, MD

Traveller --

There's no way to know that number, since we don't record such demographic data. And although the question is somewhat silly and impossible to answer in any quantitative way, I'll try to respond anecdotally:

Just this last weekend, I shot at the Club alongside with Barron, Luther, Anthony, and Kyle. All of who appear to be black to me. Barron was the RO.

Also over the weekend, I accepted new-member applications from five applicants, two of whom appeared to be black.

This coming weekend, I'll be teaching alongside Neil (asian), Kyle (black), and a number of other folks.

Also, here's a cover-page (see below) from our June 2015 Duck's Unlimited Greenwing Youth Event. We welcome kids from as far afield as DC. It's a wonderful event for city kids,

If you have any doubts about our Club's willingness to welcome anyone, just come-on down for any of our MANY events and matches that are open to the public. And when you discover what a great Club this is and want to put-in an application, just ask.:thumbsup:

John

Attachments

• June 2015 County Times Cover.jpg
      June 2015 County Times Cover.jpg
      29.6 KB · Views: 361

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads